Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
First, what you are talking about are not trusses, those are rafters. That was the way most homes was constructed until trusses came along. Rafters were typically 2x's spaced at 16" on-center (unless it was a timber frame, or some other special type of construction).
Tinman, try to envision an old wooden railroad bridge crossing a chasm. That is truss constuction holding up the train track bed.

Same idea applies to house construction. With a trussed roof system the load of the roof is spread to the outside walls evenly so you don't need as many load-bearing interior walls. Get to have big open spaces in your living area that way, but not much chance of using the attic for anything.

A rafter construction is just as alleycat described (He's the expert!) and a cape cod is definitely a rafter and beam house if you are going to live in the 1/2 story on the 2nd floor.

Either way, you roof stays over your head and your floor under your feet - if you plan it right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 11:17 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
I agree!! Senior moment could not come up with rafter, and Perlin and Ridge Beam on a log home. The majority homes in the last 30+ years had some forum of truss premade off site too speed construction. And yes they use "rafters" and "Joist" what the different between rafter and joist rafter roof and joist floor? Then their the laminated composite pre engineered beams....

Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 PM

Smile I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Tinman, try to envision an old wooden railroad bridge crossing a chasm. That is truss constuction holding up the train track bed.

Same idea applies to house construction. With a trussed roof system the load of the roof is spread to the outside walls evenly so you don't need as many load-bearing interior walls. Get to have big open spaces in your living area that way, but not much chance of using the attic for anything.

A rafter construction is just as alleycat described (He's the expert!) and a cape cod is definitely a rafter and beam house if you are going to live in the 1/2 story on the 2nd floor.

Either way, you roof stays over your head and your floor under your feet - if you plan it right!
http://bestsmileys.com/cars/13.gif (broken link) ...................

Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 PM

Wink So many choices.

Actually, joist and rafter refer to the same thing. We just generally call a floor support a joist and the same 2x8 or 2x10 in the ceiling a rafter, which, of course, supports the roof construction.

Any longer, from all that I have read and heard, the engineered beams are so well constructed that they are becoming a popular replacement for the metal long span beams that we are so familiar with.

I will definitely do more research as the time for our building rolls around, but it looks like the way to go to have strong construction at less cost.

Any opinions? Alleycat?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 PM

Smile Truss

Quote:
Actually, joist and rafter refer to the same thing. We just generally call a floor support a joist and the same 2x8 or 2x10 in the ceiling a rafter, which, of course, supports the roof construction.

Any longer, from all that I have read and heard, the engineered beams are so well constructed that they are becoming a popular replacement for the metal long span beams that we are so familiar with.

I will definitely do more research as the time for our building rolls around, but it looks like the way to go to have strong construction at less cost.

Any opinions? Alleycat?
They use lots of flat truss systems here in FL. Their able too run the A/C duct and electric threw the webbing with out compromising the integrity of a double or triple rafter - joist. Since the storms of 04 they have gotten very strict county by county.Now when they re-roof they must lay a rubber membrane down with a fiber glass mesh on the roof deck and roof deck nails every 4-6 inch on center. I want out...........

Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
They use lots of flat truss systems here in FL. Their able too run the A/C duct and electric threw the webbing with out compromising the integrity of a double or triple rafter - joist. Since the storms of 04 they have gotten very strict county by county.Now when they re-roof they must lay a rubber membrane down with a fiber glass mesh on the roof deck and roof deck nails every 4-6 inch on center. I want out...........
That's right, Tinman! I forgot that you are in FL with all of the very strict building codes.

Well, they are certainly going the full mile to assure that you have a good strong roof system. I like that you are able to run all of that pesky ductwork thru the trussing and not mess up perfectly good, sound joist. Always bothered me, even for plumbing.

You shouldn't loose a new roof to a storm, right?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM

Smile Truss-Joist-Rafters

Quote:
That's right, Tinman! I forgot that you are in FL with all of the very strict building codes.

Well, they are certainly going the full mile to assure that you have a good strong roof system. I like that you are able to run all of that pesky ductwork thru the trussing and not mess up perfectly good, sound joist. Always bothered me, even for plumbing.

You shouldn't loose a new roof to a storm, right?
This is why I want out of here, They are leaving it up too each county too set their own code.They are zoning all of Florida based on wind shear, then that county must meet the new codes. If you do home reapir roof-walls- windows then every thing must be brought up too current code. So if you replace the window in front of your home, then you have too replace "all" windows. Then if that's not enough as I understand. You have too re do the main frame of the window based on wind shear and now more insulation per code. And it just goes on........

Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
I like that you are able to run all of that pesky ductwork thru the trussing and not mess up perfectly good, sound joist. Always bothered me, even for plumbing.
Plumbers can be dangerous; I've seen all sorts of things done. Any hole drilled in a joist should be in the middle third of the joist. If someone drills an 1 1/4" inch hole near the bottom of a 2x10 joist . . . you effectively now have a 2x8 joist. I've actually seen plumbers cut out a U-shape piece in the bottom of a a run of joists to put in a 3" or 4" drain pipe. I guess their theory is "We're only cutting out a little bit . . . what can that hurt?"

Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Smile Joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Plumbers can be dangerous; I've seen all sorts of things done. Any hole drilled in a joist should be in the middle third of the joist. If someone drills an 1 1/4" inch hole near the bottom of a 2x10 joist . . . you effectively now have a 2x8 joist. I've actually seen plumbers cut out a U-shape piece in the bottom of a a run of joists to put in a 3" or 4" drain pipe. I guess their theory is "We're only cutting out a little bit . . . what can that hurt?"
I've worked construction where the inspector had a gauge block just for that.I have also so seen more electricians than plumbers punch a hole in the side of sheet metal or duct board trunk line too run conduit........

Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
I had bought trusses from a company here in town. While unloading them. The just tipped them off the semi trailer and let them fall. It sprung the whole load of trusses so bad that I had to reject the whole order. I was building the building myself. No help or contractors. Just me. Well we fought over this and I stopped payment on trusses as I paid with a credit card. You know what? That set of trusses still sets in the building supply companies lot. Oh, it gets moved from time to time but not one has bought them in almost four years. So I guess I was right. Oh and you can set trusses yourself. I had the other ones set beside the building and one by one took them by hand up on the floor, set them on top of the walls, (which I set up by myself),flipped them upright on top of the wall. Temporary nailed in place. Until I got ready to set on the roof work.
Now I will be the first to admit a crane would have been better. But necessity is the father of invention. Oh, and the internet helped alot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee