U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 03:55 PM

98 posts, read 372,884 times

Advertisements

I have found two great houses to purchase. They are both around the same money, and have basically the same attributes. One is in Russellville, Kentucky and the other is in Paris, Tennessee.

I have not been to either place, but am purchasing the home anyway. Does anyone have any opinions on either or both places? It is for my Mom (77) and I (56)=I just retired early, and am wanting to move from the West Coast to the South.

Either location would be fine for us...I like the fact that I will be close to Nashville, and am wondering which town might be best??????

Any help is much appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 97,470 times
I can't tell you a thing about Russellville, Ky, but I have visited friends who live in Paris, and I just love it. It is a wonderful little town. I don't know what you're used to -- you said west coast. I have noticed when speaking to relatives, say, from California, that when they refer to a small town, they might mean 60,000 people and when I refer to a small town, I am referring to 3,000 or less. I'm sure you could look up some info on population.

It's very clean and the town square is well-maintained and charming. There is an active, but small arts group. I think a lot of it will depend on how much you like city living and if you can bear to be away from it. I've lived in and/or visited many towns in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida, and I prefer Paris over them all by far.

The main thing that I could not "get over" was how incredibly nice everyone was whom we met while there. I would seriously consider moving there if I were in a position to move. It is near the Land Between the Lakes -- look that up on the internet. We visited there also, and it's a beautiful area.

Let us know what you decide!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,253 times
Default Native Parisian

Hi!
Just like the previous poster- I can't tell you anything about Russellville but I know everything there is to know about Paris.

It is a VERY tiny town but is pretty much the poster-city for southern living and hospitality. The community is very giving and rallies behind one another. It's very quaint and the court square has several small family owned shops.

However, the choice of restaurants is very lacking, but there are still some very good ones. Paulette's right off the court square is a delicious little cafe-type place to eat. Trolingers off of HWY 79 has good BBQ. Plus there are a few places out toward Kentucky Lake that are really good.

I think you would really enjoy Paris if you are looking for a small, hometown type feel. If you're looking for big city amenities like lots of shopping and restaurants, I'd look elsewhere.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:43 PM

479 posts, read 1,396,606 times
If you really like Nashville, I have to wonder why you would choose either Russellville or Paris. There are many small towns around Nashville that still have a rather "country" feel to them. Check out some of the towns south of Nashville. You could be pleasantly surprised.

If you like fishing, hunting, country music, Walmart, and churches, Paris has it. There's a pretty decent hospital there too, but for anything really serious, Nashville would probably be your best bet. Lots of retirees are moving to the area, especially areas close to the lake. (That's Kentucky Lake on the Tennessee River -- Paris Landing State Park.) But it's probably 15 miles or so from the city of Paris.

I love the above posts in answer to your questions, too...and I agree.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,026,199 times
You'll be a winner either way. Both towns are home to exceptionally friendly people. You mentioned that being near Nashville is important to you, and Russellville is closer than Paris. It is also closer to a larger town (Bowling Green) where you can do major shopping. The Kentucky sales tax is considerably lower than Tennessee's and the state income tax won't affect you since you'll be retired. If you're the out-doorsy type Paris will probably appeal to you more. But based on your initial post I'm voting for Russellville.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,003,460 times
I'm familiar with both Paris TN and Russellville KY. Both are neat little towns, and I imagine a couple of retirees looking for peace and quiet and lovely scenery could be happy in either place.

Best wishes.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:10 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,187,201 times
Default in the lands of nod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
You'll be a winner either way. Both towns are home to exceptionally friendly people. You mentioned that being near Nashville is important to you, and Russellville is closer than Paris. It is also closer to a larger town (Bowling Green) where you can do major shopping. The Kentucky sales tax is considerably lower than Tennessee's and the state income tax won't affect you since you'll be retired. If you're the out-doorsy type Paris will probably appeal to you more. But based on your initial post I'm voting for Russellville.
i agree w/ this post, and, i, too, am very familiar w/ both cities. i lived in paris during summers. my grandparents owned a farm outside of paris. the tax issue is a factor. tn has no income tax, but ky does. groceries and medicine are not taxed in ky; they are in tn. both areas are very scenic. paris is known as a "fisherman's paradise." a multitude of outdoor recreational activity is available. paris is not quite an hour by car from clarksville, tn, a small metropolitan area of about 210,000. it is located northeast of paris in middle tn. jackson, tn is located southwest of paris, about 50 minutes away. it is a small metropolitan area of about 170,000. both areas have adequate shopping and leisure amenities. medical care in paris is good, and in the two listed metro areas it is exceptional. hopkinsville, madisonville regional, and bowling green, ky all have very adequate medical care for all of western ky. that area of ky is very much similar to the paris area. you should be happy in either area. btw, nashville, tn is about two hours from paris, and roughly one-and-a-half hours from russellville, ky. good luck wherever you settle.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:44 AM

18 posts, read 97,470 times
Just wanted to add that you might enjoy looking at PARIS! magazine - Where it's all good!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>