Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:19 PM

255 posts, read 757,349 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

There are always repetative questions regarding the areas, schools, houses etc... The respect the people of Tennessee have for us outsiders is awesome

No matter how many times we ask the same questions, you always give your information with patience. Thanks

I would like to hear what makes living in your specific area of Tennessee "home" for you. Is it something in the town, your religious connections, a favorite restaurant, work environment, relaxation place etc... Oprah has a segment of her favorite things; I am curious if anyone is interested in gushing about why they just love their area. I have been several times and plan to relocate soon because the people are about the nicest I have ever had the pleasure to meet. The land is clean and beautiful and the education system is rated well, not to mention the people are wonderful, and oh yes...did I mention the friendly people. lol

So now I would like to know...what are your favorite things about Tennessee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Hello everyone!

There are always repetative questions regarding the areas, schools, houses etc... The respect the people of Tennessee have for us outsiders is awesome

No matter how many times we ask the same questions, you always give your information with patience. Thanks

I would like to hear what makes living in your specific area of Tennessee "home" for you. Is it something in the town, your religious connections, a favorite restaurant, work environment, relaxation place etc... Oprah has a segment of her favorite things; I am curious if anyone is interested in gushing about why they just love their area. I have been several times and plan to relocate soon because the people are about the nicest I have ever had the pleasure to meet. The land is clean and beautiful and the education system is rated well, not to mention the people are wonderful, and oh yes...did I mention the friendly people. lol

Here is a recent thread very similar to yours here: //www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...e-because.html
You might enjoy the wonderful responses.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Family
Green (really appreciated after years in the high desert of eastern Oregon)
Lightin' bugs.
The "right" barbeque!
People know what a coke is, and what tea is--sweet and cold, of course!
Friendly, friendly people
Most people are still community, family oriented. People with values and morals. (I'm not saying they aren't elsewhere. Well, in most places.) Like I've told folks, people are people everywhere, but at least here, if they aren't good upstanding moral church-goin' folks, they at least know they oughta be!

Old 06-06-2009, 03:38 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
I would like to hear what makes living in your specific area of Tennessee "home" for you.Is it something in the town, your religious connections, a favorite restaurant, work environment, relaxation place etc...
No income tax

What makes this part of Tennessee feel like home to me?
I recently moved to this part of TN but so far I feel like this is where I belong. I love...
The great weather.
The beautiful scenery, mountains, and farms, and water nearly everywhere you look. So many creeks and rivers and lakes!
The fact that there are parks, and parks, and more parks.
The cute little downtown with lots of small local businesses, antique shops, a library, and a bakery.

Did I mention the weather?
The temp was 63* late last evening as I was sitting outside. I've not had to run the heat or AC since the last week of March, how can you not just absolutely love that?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:22 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Oh, this is killing me! You're making me want to leave the left coast for Tennessee right now. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here for 6 more long years. I need to learn to be patient.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:46 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Knoxville is where we call home.I love living in this city because it is like a big overgrown town, not impersonal like many cities. I love the people and I love our favorite little place in East Town mall "Gunthor's" and I love the cabbies that work for Knoxville Service cab.
Every day is a positive rewarding experience in Knoxville for Bill and I. You couldn't pry me out of this town. I love the weather, previously being from the North East. Spring and Fall are just awesome to experience in East Tn. The medical community in Knoxville is top notch. I love the convience of living in East Town and what stores are available here.I also like that we are remembered and treated like locals in area businesses.
Did I mention the friendly people? How about the unpretentiousness of the people?
Pam

Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 AM

This is wonderful! I LOVE to read about the great parts all over Tennessee. I love every area I have seen so far and will be happy to call Tennessee our home here very soon. Now talking family and friends into coming along

Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
We love Gunthor's, too, Pam! It's great!

Let's see...

I love that I have to set aside time when running errands because I will always have to stop and talk to people I have never met before.

The weather is perfect.

The scenery is lush and beautiful.

The homes are affordable and property tax is low but my government services are excellent.

There's a service station down the road from me where a little old man comes out and pumps my gas if I don't feel well.

When I bought my first home the neighbors came from all over just to say "hello" and introduce themselves.

The doctors and nurses treat me like a person, care about me and were the only ones to correctly diagnose me after Florida doctors scratched their heads for ten years.

My 84-year-old neighbor still works, sometimes traveling by car all night from town to town, yet is always there to lend a hand or tools and spends time with our daughter.

We found the best dog in the world at a Knoxville shelter that is clean and professionally run and the local people line up to adopt the animals.

When I broke the only key to my car the convenience store helped me called a locksmith who promptly came and accepted a check without even blinking.

Cashiers actually thank me for doing business with them.

When I told a teenager he should drive more carefully his only response was, "Yes, ma'am."

Spring is spectacular. Flowering trees and daffodils are not only in almost every yard but grow wild in the woods and beside the roads and highways.

My apologies to jguillot. I hope the six years quickly go by.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM

Hiknapster what an UNBELIEVABLE pic!!!!!!!!!! How could someone not just LOVE this place! Awesome! Can't wait till I can post my own "hometown" pic's.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I hope you don't mind a long post. I will try to keep it as short as possible. I will tell a personal story that is part of why TN will be "home" for me.

I grew up as a kid in So Calif in the 1950's. We had a nice park with a pond and ducks living in it, in our town. Wide open, shallow and with a little island in the middle. The ducks made nests under the bushes around the pond and on the island. As kids we flocked there to feed the ducks. We would hold back some food from our own lunch to share with them. We would wade right out into the water and even onto the island. The ducks just gathered around to be fed and stroked. They had no fear of us and we were careful of them. As a child we learned to enjoy nature and the animals and to be careful of it all. It was a mini paradise in my home town.

Then the "do gooders" stepped in. Oh the water was dirty and the ducks might have diseases and it wasn't safe for children as we might fall in and drown, etc. They drained the pond, stripped the bushes and put concrete in. They filled it with water, but put a fence around it. We couldn't reach the ducks and they couldn't reach us and without the bushes no nests were made. Eventually no pond, no ducks and no children. Finally just about every pond, gully and creek in So Calif was covered in concrete. "Home" for the ducks and the children, including me, was changed forever. It was gone.

This year while looking at various towns in TN, we stopped at one to visit the antique stores and eat at a small diner. As we walked out of the parking lot, we crossed a bridge. Looking around I realized we were walking over a small creek. A creek with grassy sides, water, water plants and no ..... fence. I have found that in almost all the towns I have visited it is the same.

I realized then I was "home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: