Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times

Advertisements

Generally I feel the humidity is bad. I've lived here my whole life. This summer has been very mild, though. I think it's all the rainstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:14 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Depends on where in TN too. Humidity in Memphis is as bad as anything I experienced living along the Gulf Coast. So far here in east TN, not so much. I spent three hours in the early afternoon doing yardwork yesterday, not a thing I would even attempt at this time of year in Memphis.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
It was SO humid here in west Tennessee yesterday that I actually worked up a sweat just toweling off after a shower! Literally!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
If there is a place in the U.S. with worse humidity than middle TN (and I'm not questioning that there is), then I'd rather commit suicide than move to that place. There are a lot of things I dislike about living here, but none of them compare to summer weather we have.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wait a minute.

I tout the Tennessee weather all the time, especially over on the Knoxville forum, sometimes to the point of where people are sick of reading it.

I'm from the northeast and then lived in southwest Florida, where the heat and humidity are brutal. So I find the winters and summers very pleasant.

HOWEVER, it totally depends on your perspective. If I had come here directly from the north I would definitely feel it was very hot and humid during the summer. My husband is from Chicago and he agrees. Full disclosure: he lived in Florida, too.

Josh: Have you actually BEEN to Tennessee during the summer? And if so, for how long?

I say this because I don't want someone to feel like they got smacked by a wall of water if they move here.

Now me? I laugh at the heat and humidity after living in brutal Fort Myers, FL.

I've only been there once in the summer, that was in June. For how long I do not recall. It didn't feel that bad though.

For example right now in my tinsel town in Wisconsin the humidity is 86% with a 69^ dew point. It's sticky out there. It's 78 degrees right now and it's only 10:27 a.m.

Now I'm not a Tennessee expert but we have alot of humidity here in the summer just like TN.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I've only been there once in the summer, that was in June. For how long I do not recall. It didn't feel that bad though.

For example right now in my tinsel town in Wisconsin the humidity is 86% with a 69^ dew point. It's sticky out there. It's 78 degrees right now and it's only 10:27 a.m.

Now I'm not a Tennessee expert but we have alot of humidity here in the summer just like TN.
First of all, there is no way of knowing what you felt while you were on vacation without checking the dates with the weather records.

I have no idea where you are in Wisconsin to check your records with mine. I checked a couple of places and the highest temp I could see was 74 degrees, but I don't know where I should be looking.

However, it is very humid right now and will be in the 90s today here in East Tennessee.

I think it is probably best for northerners, like myself and my husband, that have lived here for awhile, to comment about humidity for our entire summer. We've been here four years.

I do understand that you are only trying to help, though.

And yes, it will definitely depend on what area the OP is asking about. Our heat index, today, will put us at about 98 degrees. However, Memphis' will be about 105!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
If there is a place in the U.S. with worse humidity than middle TN (and I'm not questioning that there is), then I'd rather commit suicide than move to that place.
I spent a summer in Mississippi and it might be a little worse.
It was so bad yesterday when I got home that just after a few minutes milling around outside I had to lose the jeans and bra and hose down.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I spent a summer in Mississippi and it might be a little worse.
It was so bad yesterday when I got home that just after a few minutes milling around outside I had to lose the jeans and bra and hose down.
I've got the pics to prove it too....I'll post them later....

Old 06-19-2009, 11:13 AM

I wondered what the dogs were barking at out beyond the tree line! Hope you didnt get any when I was bent over.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Pictures, that is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee