Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times

Advertisements

What's the physically most attractive major city in TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 03:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I guess that would be a personal perspective. Give us some ideas of what cities you currently see as "physically attractive" so we will have some idea of what you are referring to.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:49 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Nashville's Batman Towers (whatever they really are!) is quite neat... but otherwise I really dislike Nashville's downtown.

But as far as major city, I have to say Knoxville. The downtown is cute, big but small, and is quite interesting.

That's just considering the four major cities of Knox, Nash, Memphis and Chattanooga.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:12 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Nashville's Batman Towers (whatever they really are!) is quite neat...
Off-topic . . . I drew the plans for the structure of the BellSouth (Batman) building. It took a year.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
What's the physically most attractive major city in TN?
If you're looking for modern skyscrapers, then it would be Nashville. If you like old skyscrapers, then it would be Memphis. If you're looking for a scenic backdrop, then it would be Chattanooga which is located in a bowl surrounded by mountains. Outdoor Magazine ranked Chattanooga as one of the ten best big cities for outdoor activities because you can leave downtown and in 10 minutes be on a mountain.

I don't particularly care for downtown Knoxville very much; it has only a couple of buildings that I would consider to be attractive, and even though it's close to the Smoky Mountains, you can't see them from downtown unless you're way up on the top floor of the First Tennessee Plaza.

And alleycat, what do you mean you drew the plans for the Batman Building? You mean you work for the architectural firm that designed it? That's so cool!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And alleycat, what do you mean you drew the plans for the Batman Building? You mean you work for the architectural firm that designed it? That's so cool!!!
At the time, I worked for the structural firm which designed the structure. ESa were the architects. Years before that, I drew the plans for Riverfront Park. I'm the one who put the flagpoles in that stupid looking ellipse (I've always regretted that).

I currently work for Structural Design Group in Nashville; we do a lot of the HCA work around the country as well as other projects throughout the US. I'm currently working on two large hospital jobs, one in Ft. Myers, Florida and one in San Antonio, Texas. I'm also working on a smaller hospital in Bedford County.

Last edited by alleycat; 04-14-2007 at 10:56 PM..

Old 04-14-2007, 11:34 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
That IS quite cool, alleycat!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 AM

By the way, they're putting up a new tower in downtown Nashville. It will be the tallest building in Tennessee when its finished. I'm not working on that one.

As for what town is most attactive, that's hard to say (especially since I haven't been to all of them). The Chattanooga area itself is very nice, and there some nice individual buildings in Nashville, but I would probably pick one of the smaller towns as most attractive. Maybe one in East Tennessee with the mountains as a backdrop. I remember Greeneville as being fairly nice, but it's been several years since I've been and I might just be remembering the good things.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:47 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I vote for Chattanooga.

Bear in mind, that I've only been to Chattanooga and Knoxville. The other cities I've only seen through pictures.

Chattanooga's riverfront is stunning! It has two aquariums, the world's largest pedestrian bridge traversing the Tennessee River and an art museum that sits on a huge bluff. Next to the aquarium is this waterfall that trickles down these steps. It's a monument to the "Trail of Tears". I could go on and on. Chattanooga has it's act together.

Knoxville, well, not so much.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:43 AM

26 posts, read 76,920 times
If by attractive you mean downtown structures etc., I would say Nashville. It has the newage city look. I think out of all the major cities, Chattanooga is probably cleaner and the most eye friendly of all of them. But I have only been downtown and passing through on the interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee