Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,316 times

Advertisements

In a month my mother and i are moving from Michigan to Tennessee, To get away from my father. We picked Tennessee because it is a lot like where we are living now. But where is the best place to move in Tennessee? I have one year of High school left, so i will need a good high school. Then my mother and i plan on going to college together, so we would like to be close to some Couminty College. Also we need a place with ample jobs, to pay for things. we are only starting off with 800$.We our putting our faith in God and hopping for the best, with your help as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
In a month my mother and i are moving from Michigan to Tennessee, To get away from my father. We picked Tennessee because it is a lot like where we are living now. But where is the best place to move in Tennessee? I have one year of High school left, so i will need a good high school. Then my mother and i plan on going to college together, so we would like to be close to some Couminty College. Also we need a place with ample jobs, to pay for things. we are only starting off with 800$.We our putting our faith in God and hopping for the best, with your help as well
There are 3 different areas of TN and they are all extremely different, so I"m not sure how you've decided TN and MI are similar.

Based on the other info, I'd stick with either the outlying areas of Chattanooga, Knoxville, or the Tri Cities area. And based on the limited funds I'd go Tri Cities.

Honesly, up and leaving to move here with only $800 in your pocket isn't smart though. God won't pay the deposit on an apartment or the deposit for utilities or provide you with food until your mother can find a job.

If you're running from an abusive situation, you'd be better off having MI do a domestic violence injunction to have him removed from the house and save every penny for a few months before coming here.

Faith in God is wonderful. But starving and living on the streets probably isn't much fun.

I'm not trying to be snarky. Just honest. You need some better plans.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Mrs1885, great advice as usuall.....

Ashley, rethink your plans........TN is a great place to live, but like most of the country....jobs are tight now....

Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
If you don't have a reason to put a ton of physical space between yourself and your father, I'd think about just heading downstate to some degree until the national economy is better. The unemployment rate in Nashville is the same as it is in Kalamazoo right now, and there or in GR, you'd have a better familiarity with the social services net and the people in charge of hiring will have a better understanding of the places on your mom's resume or job application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee