Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 PM

12 posts, read 20,914 times

Advertisements

Hi I know I have posted before, and now I think I am actually getting serious about moving to tenn from san diego. I wanted to know what city would it be easier to find a job in and also for rent wise sice I would need to find a place $300-$400 a month to live. I can transfer to the store in nasville but will need a second job to keep afloat. I am making 11 hr right now and squeezing by. I will possibly be in chatt when he vw plant opens if I can land a job there in 2011. I also do like the look of chatt a lil more than nash but I like both of them. Can anyone who lives in both cities tell me why I should live in one or the other? I am going to look but am already figuring I wont get a job till I get there if I went without one. any help can be much appreciated. Oh and how bad is crime in both cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:18 AM

275 posts, read 1,122,229 times
chatt. will have vw and a nissan battery plant - just made public.
so if your looking for a factory job that would be a good area.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,143,688 times
I live in Nashville, but have been in Chattanooga any number of times. I'll primarily talk about Nashville.

Job wise, Nashville is probably a little better than Chattanooga, even though, as you noted, the VW plant is being built there. The areas around Nashville tends to have the lowest unemployment rate in the state (although I just saw a post that the Knoxville area is doing well in that regard).

It would probably be hard to find a decent apartment in a nice area in Nashville for $300-400, unless it was actually renting a room in a house. I have a friend who rents out a bedroom in her house with full house privileges in a nice neighborhood for $500. I'm not sure what the apartment market is like in Chattanooga.

There are parts of Nashville that are high crime, and parts that are low. The Metro police have an interactive map that shows crime in the 35 council districts of Nashville. You have to be selective. If you find a place in either city you can make a post in the appropriate subforum and the people here can tell you whether it's a good area, a marginal area,, or a bad area.

Both Nashville and Chattanooga offer a lot of natural areas (parks, lakes, hiking trails, rivers), either within the city or within a short drive. Nashville has more of a nightlight if that's important to you. On the other hand, Chattanooga probably doesn't have to deal with quite as many urban problems as Nashville does.

I live in Nashville, but if for some reason I needed to move to Chattanooga I wouldn't be unhappy about having to live there. It's a nice little city with several things going for it.

I hoped that helps you a little, but really it's going to come down to have you feel about the two places and how easily you can find a job. Visit, spend some time in both places, see what might be available for employment, then make your decision.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 AM

12 posts, read 20,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I live in Nashville, but have been in Chattanooga any number of times. I'll primarily talk about Nashville.

Job wise, Nashville is probably a little better than Chattanooga, even though, as you noted, the VW plant is being built there. The areas around Nashville tends to have the lowest unemployment rate in the state (although I just saw a post that the Knoxville area is doing well in that regard).

It would probably be hard to find a decent apartment in a nice area in Nashville for $300-400, unless it was actually renting a room in a house. I have a friend who rents out a bedroom in her house with full house privileges in a nice neighborhood for $500. I'm not sure what the apartment market is like in Chattanooga.

There are parts of Nashville that are high crime, and parts that are low. The Metro police have an interactive map that shows crime in the 35 council districts of Nashville. You have to be selective. If you find a place in either city you can make a post in the appropriate subforum and the people here can tell you whether it's a good area, a marginal area,, or a bad area.

Both Nashville and Chattanooga offer a lot of natural areas (parks, lakes, hiking trails, rivers), either within the city or within a short drive. Nashville has more of a nightlight if that's important to you. On the other hand, Chattanooga probably doesn't have to deal with quite as many urban problems as Nashville does.

I live in Nashville, but if for some reason I needed to move to Chattanooga I wouldn't be unhappy about having to live there. It's a nice little city with several things going for it.

I hoped that helps you a little, but really it's going to come down to have you feel about the two places and how easily you can find a job. Visit, spend some time in both places, see what might be available for employment, then make your decision.
Thank you alley cat, I think I have fully decided on chattanooga first but we will also consider nashville as we will hit that first to check it out as we go to chatt! My friend is even going to go with me We will be towing his airstream being my 70's thunderbird should make for a sweet road trip heh. He doesnt finish architecht school till may. So we will be leaving then, I may come out sooner and he may just meet me out there. That part is undecided. thanks for the info and is there anything you would reccomend us seeing when we get there? oh and one thing I loved about missouri when I was at ft leonardwood and michigan ofn fam visits was those fireflies you have there. are there plenty in tenn?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,143,688 times
Plenty of fireflies in Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee