Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:59 AM

39 posts, read 195,753 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was surprised to see that in this day and age racism is still an issue. I had thought and hoped people had evolved a bit and dropped the ignorance. Perhaps those writing the rude entries are just immature and trying to get a rise out of people. Unfortunatly, I realize that there is still some ignorance hanging around.

Since, race seems to be an issue in some of these areas and hopefully only by a handful of people~ then it occured to me that sexism might also be an issue. Sexism being the bias of people based on gender. As a single mother with girls~ this is a very important issue to me. Tampa Bay I suppose is somewhat progressive in these areas. NE Tenn. appeals to me for the natural beauty, friendliness, and moral fiber that I've heard so much of.

I'm not trying to be rude or offend anyone- (except maybe the racists) but if anyone can give me some insight into the culture of racism and sexism in NE Tenn. I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 AM

105 posts, read 270,605 times
Why not start a seperate thread to discuss the prevalence of each ism in TN? That way, all of us righteous folks can continue to pat each other on the back for our righteousness. I'm so tolerant. You're so tolerant. We're just great!

Old 07-10-2006, 10:11 AM

51 posts, read 335,519 times
Of course, you'll find chauvinist pigs everywhere who think men are God and women should slave around the house all day to make their husbands happy, but Tennessee is not incredibly sexist, unless, however, you happen to be gay or bisexual...In that case, I do not suggest moving up here for your own well being. Racism is probably stornger here than anywhere in the rest of the country, but then again it's not THAT BAD.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:41 AM

19 posts, read 240,877 times
Northeast Tennessee is indeed very beautiful. The thing to keep in mind is that it is also mostly VERY rural; you're getting into Appalachian mountain-folk territory, and in that environment, you're going to find a lot of uneducated and narrow-minded views. Now they may be fine, salt-o'-the-earth people. But - it is what it is. As a disclaimer, I'm not talking about the more populated areas such as Knoxville or some of the smaller-but-still-decent-sized towns such as Oak Ridge, etc.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:24 PM

130 posts, read 566,284 times
Wow, interesting thread. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any area in the USA where sexism and racism are extinct but you'd have equally hard of a time finding someplace where the two mindsets are prevelant. No matter where you go, people are people.

I think racism is probably more common around here than sexism but neither is any worse than Tampa Bay. I think there is more disparity in lifestyle (ie: income, neighborhood home values, etc) between different races but not so much of a true "racism"....more like an economic division.

Sexism is sort of a hard concept to gauge. I haven't seen enough of Johnson City to speak inteligently on this question but I know I've met female Professors (ETSU) and Dentist's so I'd think sexism is no worse than anywhere else. Again, I think it's hard to label an entire city or town as "sexist" when that city has such a blend of idividuals.

In a nutshell, picture Johnson city like the earth. At the core you mostly have a city that tolerates everything other cities accomodate. As you get further from the core through the mantle and toward the country, you get more rural. With a rural environment you encounter a greater percentage (not all, just *more*) of narrow minded indiviuals that think in terms of sexist and racist. As long as you stay within a reasonable distance of town (30 minutes or so) the ratio of Bubba's, Cledus's and Earl's is comfortably low.

Joe

Old 07-10-2006, 12:26 PM

211 posts, read 290,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie
Northeast Tennessee is indeed very beautiful. The thing to keep in mind is that it is also mostly VERY rural; you're getting into Appalachian mountain-folk territory, and in that environment, you're going to find a lot of uneducated and narrow-minded views. Now they may be fine, salt-o'-the-earth people. But - it is what it is. As a disclaimer, I'm not talking about the more populated areas such as Knoxville or some of the smaller-but-still-decent-sized towns such as Oak Ridge, etc.
There is a misconception that TN is some backwater place, but it's untrue. Much more of TN is urban rather then rural.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:13 PM

19 posts, read 240,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove
There is a misconception that TN is some backwater place, but it's untrue. Much more of TN is urban rather then rural.
I was referring specifically to Northeast Tennessee. I'm a native of Nashville and grew up in Williamson County, so I don't have a lot of experience outside of the urban and suburban areas. However, at one point we lived briefly in a rural area of East Tennessee and whoa! Talk about a different world! Those backwaters really do still exist. (As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "Not that there's anything wrong with that!")

Old 07-10-2006, 08:00 PM

39 posts, read 195,753 times
Default Thanks for the insight.

Thank you all for your insight on this matter. I have been around the country a bit and realize that different areas have different cultures, etc. In considering such a big move for me and my family~ I really want to have a well rounded view. I know what it is like here~the good and the not so good. I realize that in any community people are people and certain cultural essences tend to have an underlying force. Larger communities such as Tampa Bay have soooo much going on that everything kind of gets blended in a sense ,if looking at it broadly. I suppose it is like that everywhere in a way.

Also, I suppose every region has it's 'labels' that may or may not reflect what the area is really about as well. Again, I do appreciate your reflections on this matter.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:14 PM

211 posts, read 290,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie
I was referring specifically to Northeast Tennessee. I'm a native of Nashville and grew up in Williamson County, so I don't have a lot of experience outside of the urban and suburban areas. However, at one point we lived briefly in a rural area of East Tennessee and whoa! Talk about a different world! Those backwaters really do still exist. (As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "Not that there's anything wrong with that!")
I guess you're right, I've never really been to any. I'm from Williamson too. I used to go canoeing so I saw one of those places once or twice but they were so tiny and remote I didn't give it much thought.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:45 PM

30 posts, read 172,135 times
That is interesting to know about Johnson City. In general, does the same hold true for Kingsport and Bristol? We could possibly relocate to those areas with up to a 20 minute drive to either of the cities - is that so far out that we would be with rednecks mostly? I have no issue with rednecks and how they live their lives but I don't particularly want to be one of their heavly populated areas since I wouldn't fit in to such a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee