U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:59 PM

36 posts, read 169,911 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to Chattanooga early next year. We have been living in Albuquerque, NM for the last 2 years and hate it. We miss the south, having lived in New Orleans for 3 years, we only left because of Katrina. My wife is a bartender, and has dealt with ridiculous liquor laws here in New Mexico. We want to be sure that Chattanooga has a good bar scene (neighborhood bars, dive bars) and that she wont be treated like a criminal for doing her job (sting operations, etc). I am a photographer and was curious how the art scene is your city. Also, we would want to live (rent) close to downtown, in an old neighborhood. For those of you that might know New Orleans, we lived in the Bywater/ Fabourg Mairgny area near the French Quarter. Thats the type of neighborhood we are looking for, kind of eclectic artist type of area with character. Any general info or advice, pro and cons of living in Chattanooga would be appreciated. We do not have children. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:01 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,247,717 times
I'm not saying this isn't the place for you, but (IMO) Chattanooga is not known as a drinking/partying town. Sure we have bars/clubs/restaurants that serve up drinks, but for someone to make that their first priority I would have to think that you may be disappointed.

We do have quite an active arts scene here though. Check out AVA - Association For Visual Arts - Chattanooga Tennessee and WhatIsArt2Me and Allied Arts of Greater Chattanooga - Home for starters.

As for old neighborhoods, you may want to check out the North Shore, the South Side and possibly St Elmo. You will not find anything here as eclectic as the New Orleans scene.

Here's a recent article on the local music scene that you might find interesting too. Cover Story: The Good, The Bad and The Sound | Chattanooga Pulse (http://chattanoogapulse.com/newsfeatures/news-feature/cover-story-the-good-the-bad-and-the-sound/ - broken link)

Old 07-12-2009, 09:32 AM

I only mention the bar scene because thats the industry my wife works in and she does not want to work at a corporate type bar.

How bad is crime in Chattanooga? The other city we were thinking of is Athens, GA but it seems to have ALOT of crime, and it is getting worse.

How about international dining? Particularly Chinese, Thai and Indian. How is the restaurant scene overall?

Movie Theatres? Any independent single screen ones around?

Any and all help is appreciated..

Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,640 times
I am also considering a move to Chatt next Spring. I grew up in NYC where I developed an appreciation of food and film but am a climber and lover of wild places. Have you gotten any more info on the scene there?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Default What is Knoxville all about? Thinking of relocating there..

My wife and I are considering moving to Knoxville early next year. We have been living in Albuquerque, NM for the last 2 years and hate it. We miss the south, having lived in New Orleans for 3 years, we only left because of Katrina.
My wife is a (30 year old) bartender, and has dealt with ridiculous liquor laws here in New Mexico. We want to be sure that Knoxville has a good bar scene (neighborhood bars, dive bars) and that she wont be treated like a criminal for doing her job (sting operations, etc). She does not want to work in a corporate type place.
I am a (34 year old) photographer and was curious how the art scene is your city.
Also, we would want to live close to downtown, in an old neighborhood. For those of you that might know New Orleans, we lived in the Bywater/ Fabourg Mairgny area near the French Quarter. Thats the type of neighborhood we are looking for, kind of eclectic artist type of area.

International cuisine? Any good Thai, Chinese or Indian places? How is the restaurant scene overall?

Movie theaters? Any independent single screen ones around?

Any general info or advice, pro and cons of living in Knoxville would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-12-2009, 10:03 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,160,754 times
Welcome, and sounds like you will love living and working in the downtown area, and lots of choices and lofts to choose from. Several bars, and not acquainted of any stings and as long as the owners, do not get in trouble serving minors, then no problems. The downtown, is involved with the event First Fridays, which highlights all the art stores and Knoxville is working hard, bringing downtown back to life. Good luck, and keep us posted on your choices.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 AM

What should I expect to pay for a large 1 bedroom or average 2 bedroom apartment in the downtown area?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 44,180 times
You've made a great choice in Knoxville! We moved here and have lived just about everywhere, including Albuquerque. Knoxville has everything you could ask for!

The art scene is one of the best we've seen outside of NY, LA, Chicago, Atlanta. There are an abundance of galleries, regular shows, and art walks. Creative people are sought after as there's a built-in demand from the affluent migration coming to Knoxville.... and coming they are!

I read that the number of restaurants per capita is one of the highest in the country. Great international places, and a chain on every corner of every street in the county. You can't go wrong with eating in Knoxville!

There's an art theater that shows some indie films, and a drive-in that's about a half hour outside of town. I believe all the others are owned by the big chain or its competitors.

To sum it up, pros - everything! cons - none

Come on to Knoxville! Get in now while you can still afford something! This IS the next boom town USA!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 AM

15,997 posts, read 29,895,697 times
Mod Note: Merged cross posted threads.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 AM

22,583 posts, read 50,626,282 times
Oh, boy.

Byebyecinci is very enthusiastic. She just moved here.

We do NOT have one of the highest restaurants per capita in the country. That's a thing that a lot of people say in every city.

There are a lot of chains here, and when I moved to Knoxville four years ago, I was kind of disappointed. Since then I have found a lot more local places and more have opened.

We have a very good art scene. Arts & Culture Alliance Home

Knoxville is fabulous but I don't want the place to be overstated so that it is talked up to something that it is not. Lots of hurt feelings that way.

I think that Knoxville is great place to live and downtown or over in Fourth and Gill or Bearden would be great places to live. I've never heard of a sting operation, by the way, and this is a college town.

By the way, if you are looking for really nice people to be around then I think that it would be very tough to beat Knoxville (dare I say it?) even if Chattanooga is in the running.

You are going to want to read the MetroPulse to get more insight into our city.

Metro Pulse: Knoxville News, Issues, Entertainment, Culture, People
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee