Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,155 times

Advertisements

I've already give our car choice consideration. I have a two weheel drive ranger and my wife drives a front wheel drive Escape. I believe her car will be fine as a lot of the weight is up front on the wheels. It's a great little SUV.

My Ranger, however, gets stuck leaving my driveway and is very light in the tail. I love my truck, but I will be getting something 4 wheel drive when I get there. Love the convienence of a pickup though, so I'll be looking for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 25,672 times
West TN would be best. Not much snow or ice but tornadoes do frequent the area.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:22 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
I've already give our car choice consideration. I have a two weheel drive ranger and my wife drives a front wheel drive Escape. I believe her car will be fine as a lot of the weight is up front on the wheels. It's a great little SUV.
My Ranger, however, gets stuck leaving my driveway and is very light in the tail. I love my truck, but I will be getting something 4 wheel drive when I get there. Love the convienence of a pickup though, so I'll be looking for something.
If the Escape is 6 cylinder it will be fine. If 4, it will struggle to make it up a lot of the mountains and even the Interstate grades. I've got a 6 cyl. 4-wheel drive Escape and love it. It does fine in East Tennessee.
4-cylinder cars wear out fast around here. East Tennessee doesn't believe in a lot of switchbacks and curves. The roads send you straight up the hill or mountain!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
[quote=Grizzlybear34;1207450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
A Half Back is someone from up North who retired to Florida then realized they don't like it and move half-way back, usually TN or NC. I laughed the first time I heard the term. There's another term for people from Florida who move up here but don't know how to drive in the mountains: Floridiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

JMT - Just out of curiousity, what are the driving patterns in the mountains that are nerve racking? That is one thing my wife gets on me about is that, you're going to have to take it easier when you get to Tennessee. I don't consider myself an aggressive driver, but I do get irritated when other drivers are blabbing away on the cell phone in the left lane, or don't know that you can actually turn right on red, or get trapped at a traffic signal for 3 minutes with no traffic coming or the light turns and the first car doesn't move....whew, I feel better now!

What is poor mountain driving? I certainly don't need to add another aggravator to my list!
\

There are a couple of things I can't stand about people who don't know how to drive in the mountains. One is when they ride their brakes. I mean at every single curve in the road, they slam on their brakes. Cars (even automatics) have lower gears specifically for driving in the mountains. And even though there are usually places in the road where cars can pull off to let others pass them, these people don't do that.

Another thing is on I-40 through the mountains. There are signs posted that tell trucks to stay in the right lane. I guess some drivers assume that means that ONLY trucks are to be in the right lane, because some drivers will drive ONLY in the left lane, no matter how slow they're going. I mean, they go SLOWER than the speed limit in the left lane. grrrrrrrrr

Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM

849 posts, read 2,954,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
If the Escape is 6 cylinder it will be fine. If 4, it will struggle to make it up a lot of the mountains and even the Interstate grades. I've got a 6 cyl. 4-wheel drive Escape and love it. It does fine in East Tennessee.
4-cylinder cars wear out fast around here. East Tennessee doesn't believe in a lot of switchbacks and curves. The roads send you straight up the hill or mountain!

It is a 6 cylinder and it is sweeet!!!

I don't think I've driven a better, more responsive car. Nice acceleration, perfect handling,...

Does it seem that there are some cars that the brake lights go on when they let off of the accelerator? They don't touch the brakes and the brake lights go on because the foot comes off of the accelerator??

I believe that there are some cars like this...

Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,222 times
my husband is thinking about moving to chattanooga TN, he loves it we are a young couple with 4 children, we are living right know in las vegas N.V and i dont see my self raising my kids hear. He already has a job out there he works for a trucking company. Its just a few concernse that i have. where in chattanooga is the best place to live i want some where close by the water. And second is there tornados there?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 AM

103 posts, read 219,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I agree, North Fl IS nice, but I was south east...Jupiter. I couldn't stand it from the day I step foot in it. But I was dragged there before I was of an age to make my own choice, but at as soon as I had an opening, I ran! LOL
I grew up in the woods of a Podunk town in CT. So I am a country girl at heart, can't and don't want to change who I am, FL didn't fit my bill. TN....home

I live in Michigan for all my life. Their are places that are totally country, but cold weather . So I probely want to move some were that is little warm to live in like Tennessee. I'm a country boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I live in one of those Florida cities nobody has discovered yet apparently. I very rarely see a spanish speaking person, traffic isn't bad at all on the main roads in town but it's a little busier than it used to be, basic crime here and there but nothing out of the ordinary, drugs, break ins etc. Nothing you won't find in any other state. I do hate the dreaded heat though. there's no escaping that anywhere.
Your kind of wrong about Florida is the only state has break ins drugs ect, in some parts of Michigan in Wayne county is close to Detroit an yes their is crime in that area but it is not bad if you know were to live at. To tell the truth I'm a Michganer, an yes I do live near Detroit an half of my town is Detroit.

Last edited by Waterman120; 12-15-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 AM

103 posts, read 219,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not in a car in the mountains on ice. Trust me. I'm a flatlander myself (not Florida). Have lived in three locations in 55 years where the highest elevation was my front stoop...which actually brings up another point. Many of us came here or are coming here with cars that were perfectly fine for driving around our former flat locations but are not geared (power-wise) to driving around East Tennessee. That guy/gal in front of you that is making your neck veins bulge may not be going slower than you because he/she is a timid driver but because their vehicle is unexpectedly struggling to accelerate. I'm ditching my car as soon as my lease is up. It was a great car for where I lived before. Steering-wise, it can't be beat. But, it doesn't cut the mustard around here when it comes to accelerating up a hill/mountain.
Get an automatic trans, because you be happy of going up and down tho's tough turns in the mountains. If you went down to Northern Virginia is still same, my family went down to Northern Virginia many times with an automatic trans an it did good, an of course for people who does not know what to do on a mountain needs to learn how to ditch a car.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,572 times
Default The south scares me!

I have visited Tennessee quite a few times, and i recently worked in Chattanooga and many other places in the south for about 1 year. I think TN is one of the most beautiful states in the country. However, there is no doubt that (a lot, not all) of the south still lives in the confederate past. As a person from Detroit and now Phoenix, AZ, that makes me extremely nervous and uncomfortable. You can definitely sense the racial tension from a lot of the people in TN. I would love to live there but never would even think about it because of that reason alone.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuY10 View Post
I have visited Tennessee quite a few times, and i recently worked in Chattanooga and many other places in the south for about 1 year. I think TN is one of the most beautiful states in the country. However, there is no doubt that (a lot, not all) of the south still lives in the confederate past. As a person from Detroit and now Phoenix, AZ, that makes me extremely nervous and uncomfortable. You can definitely sense the racial tension from a lot of the people in TN. I would love to live there but never would even think about it because of that reason alone.

It goes to show you how different your experiences can be. We've been living here for a few years after coming from "up north" and have yet to find anyone actively living in the 'confederate past' or any other past. There may be some that wish the confederacy had succeeded but they have been the very few that we have encountered. Any signs of racial tension have been about the same as we experienced in NY and the level of politeness and helpfulness has been MUCH better. Sometimes expectations can color what we see and experience. If you feel that strongly about people here it is probably for the best that you not stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee