Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2006, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 21,834 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at a job in Clinton. It will be a very hard move for us because we have a small tool & die shop here in northern IN. We would be happy with just a roof over our heads to live in but we are looking for 5+ acres so he can have a pole barn for all of his machines. We are hoping to stay within a 45 minute drive from Clinton and one of his main concerns is trying to stay off the beaten path and still getting 220/440 3 phase electrical service. I have family just out of Asheville and can't wait to get away from here! He, on the other hand, is still somewhat hesitant on leaving what he has known all of his life. We would love any suggestions anyone would have for us. My 2 kids are grown so schools are not a factor. If we can find enough land neighbors won't be a concern either Hills and streams are good. Mountain would be better but I am afraid we are on the wrong side of Knoxville for that How bad is it to get around k-ville in rush hour traffic? Thanks for any & all help and suggestions, zirf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 10:09 PM

Red face 2nd try

Hi again. I thought I would try again as my other half got a call on the job. He is going down in the next 2 weeks for an interview. I don't know why I have gotten no replys but I promise I didn't mean to offend anyone. We are looking foward to the move and to making new friends. I like to have neighbors but just not as close as we have now. We live in Goshen IN and it's not bad but getting crowded! If anyone has any suggestions on where to look for land or if it would be wise to look east of Knoxville and try for the drive around, please let us know. I could use all the help in planning I can get. I am very new to forums and if I do something incorrect please let me know so I can learn. I really appreciate a site like this.

Last edited by zirf; 07-26-2006 at 10:23 PM..

Old 07-27-2006, 06:12 AM

810 posts, read 3,295,002 times
While your husband is down there, have him talk to a realtor in the area and go from there. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2006, 10:21 PM

359 posts, read 1,630,387 times
My daughter lives in west Knoxville, and I go to visit about once a month. I have to drive all the way through Knoxville, as I come from the east, and I usually end up doing it during rush hour. I find it's best to stay in the fastest lane, so you don't have to mess with entrance ramps, etc. It can get a little clogged but it's nothing compared to places like Chicago.

I guess I would suggest finding a place to live in Clinton or somewhere on that side of town, if that's where his job is going to be.

The whole Knoxville area has tons to offer. It's a really nice size city, lots and lots of cultural things, with the University being there. Beautiful gardens, flea markets, and the location is really good, too - about an hour to the mountains, and maybe 6 hours to the beach at Charleston, SC. Only about 9 hours to the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:38 AM

957 posts, read 3,689,019 times
I wouldn't count on finding 3 phase power in anything other than an industrial/commercial area. I've been looking. When you find property, just ask the power company if there is 3 phase on the pole. If there is, they can run it to your property...for a fee.

My equipment is all 220, so I can get by on a rotary phase converter.

Ross

Old 09-04-2006, 07:04 PM

302 posts, read 1,440,005 times
Thumbs up zirf,

you weren't offending anyone, just no one who was on, had an answer for you good luck in your search
I happen to be moving way east of you in Hawkins county

Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 AM

Arrow on our way

Thank you all for your input. He has taken the job and moved down there on Labor Day I miss him but we talk a few times a day. He is staying in a motel in Lake City for now and is taking a month or so to look at places. He says he is enjoying the 13 mile drive to & from work so I think we will be able to look off the well traveled roads and find a place. We have decided to find cheep rent for a year or two then find a place to buy. I let him know about the power and he says thanks to Rossc. He has a converter and wants me to bring it down on my first trip to see him.
This all happened so fast I guess I just panicked instead of having faith in the willingness of others to share what they know. I am sorry for that and will check back often as I would like to make some new friends Thanks alot, Vicki

Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 PM

37,745 posts, read 40,809,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirf View Post
My husband is looking at a job in Clinton. It will be a very hard move for us because we have a small tool & die shop here in northern IN. We would be happy with just a roof over our heads to live in but we are looking for 5+ acres so he can have a pole barn for all of his machines.
When I asked for the Anderson County relocation package from the Chamber of Commerce, they sent me an awful lot of information about Clinton.

Here's the website:

http://www.andersoncountychamber.org/html/chamber.htm (broken link)

Across the top of the page, click on the link that says "info request" and they'll send you a package in the mail. My impression is that Clinton is a cheap place to live.

This city-data website has a large arial photo of Clinton:

//www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv15648.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee