Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2006, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 62,476 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Maryville area. Could anyone tell us a little about the area?

Thanks so much.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2006, 07:43 PM

130 posts, read 565,130 times
I visited there two weeks ago in anticiaption of moving to the area in a month or so. I'm not a Maryville expert by any means but here's what I felt:

1) Lot of opportunity in healthcare.

2) Salaries must be decent because there are some nice houses and a lot of nice cars.

3) A lot of people from up north and Florida move there.

4) Houses in the city limits are expensive due to the top rated schools.

5) Good geographic location. Close to the mountains without being in the middle of nowhere.

6) Needs a Starbucks.

7) Busier than I expected but not even close to the congestion levels of Florida. Not even close.

8) Not much for traffic patrol. In fact, very little police presence at all.

If I were ready to retire (actually I am but my bank account isn't) I'd look at Townsend or Wear's Valley. They are beautiful areas but more "removed" than Maryville.

I'm officially in toss up mode, depending on where I find a job first. I liked Maryville and Chattanooga equally and plan on living in one or the other within a month to six weeks. Actually, I'd prefer Chattanooga. They have a Starbucks......five of them in fact!

Joe

Old 03-19-2006, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Maryville/Alcoa are quaint little towns. Most citizens in this area work in neighboring cities (counties). The schools are five star quality in academics as well as sports. I have lived near this area for about 30 years. I think if I worked in Maryville, I would look at buying a home in Vonore where I could get more house for less money.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 AM

105 posts, read 269,975 times
You can drive up to Knoxville for your starbucks fix. There are four of them here that I know of.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 40,347 times
Thumbs up Recently moved from Maryville

I lived in Maryville for about two years and my husband for 7 years. While I have been a resident of the state for most of my adult years 20 of those years to be exact my husband had been in Indiana and ended up in Maryville due to a job. Actually another job is why we left and believe me it was difficult for both of us.
Of all the places I have ever lived this is the place that was home to me and to also to my husband who has commented that he will never have friends like those he met in Maryville.
We love Maryville. It is a great town with just about anything you need right there, but still has the friendly feeling of a much smaller town. The area offers lots of choices in housing and activities plus it has is close to many outlying communities.
With Knoxville so close if they do not have it in Maryville you can just take a short drive and go there for whatever you are missing.
For me you just cannot beat the area not only is it friendly, but it is beautiful!!! I really miss seeing those mountains in the distance from my kitchen window.
I am actually very excited because we are planning on visiting in the next few weeks and we both cannot wait to go back HOME.
The schools there are wonderful! The roads are some of the best anywhere and believe me after having to relocate to the wilds of Northern Kentucky where the roads stink I really miss that.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 8,517 times
Default Baffled By Statements Regarding Maryville

I moved to Maryville, TN about a year ago after graduating from college in Oklahoma. The experience has been life changing, and there are many reasons for that. First, the people I have encountered have been completely hateful. I don't understand how there could be so many rude, mean, closed minded people in one place. Second, don't drive the speed limit! You go atleast fifteen miles an hour over the posted speed limit, if not, other drivers will let you know. Third, it's been a nightmare looking for a job. I don't understand why I still have not been able to find a job????? I have never faced anything like this. Like I said I am a college graduate with work experience and I cannot find a job. It's not that there are no jobs, if you look, there are plenty of jobs and that is what is so confusing to me? I have heard people tell me that if your not from this area you will have a problem. I researched the area extensively before I moved. I thought this place would be perfect since I am a chritian, love the mountains, love people, and am full of enthusiasm, well I was full of enthusiasm. Now, I am bitter, jobless and don't know what to do next. So before anybody decides to move to the knoxville area visit first and see for yourself. Also there is a pollution issue that the locals don't really want to talk about? SMOG! Look at the EPA reports!! It is a big problem here! At this stage I view Maryville/Knoxville and surounding areas the worst place to live in the country based on my own experience. This whole experience has changed my life forever.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:09 PM

105 posts, read 269,975 times
I noticed a couple of times when flying into the airport in alcoa, the plane descends through a brown layer of smog. What a great place.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 62,476 times
Thanks so much for your thoughts. My wife and I are still "looking". We plan to visit next spring.
Ron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee