Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM

18 posts, read 52,749 times

Advertisements

We've always wanted to move to TN and it would depend on available jobs, of course but we also have two kids, one a 16-year-old and the one I think would have the most difficulties moving. The younger one rolls with the punches but the 16-year-old is very shy and hates being out of his comfort zone. I'm almost thinking about leaving him to graduate with his friends if we don't do something soon.

Which area would be more suitable for him? I know Nashville a little bit better but was wondering about the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Why don't you wait till he graduates? That'll give the economy time to pick up. Your house will sell better, and you can find jobs easier. :shrug: Seems like a win all around to me.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Why don't you wait till he graduates? That'll give the economy time to pick up. Your house will sell better, and you can find jobs easier. :shrug: Seems like a win all around to me.
I second that emotion.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethletters View Post
We've always wanted to move to TN and it would depend on available jobs, of course but we also have two kids, one a 16-year-old and the one I think would have the most difficulties moving. The younger one rolls with the punches but the 16-year-old is very shy and hates being out of his comfort zone. I'm almost thinking about leaving him to graduate with his friends if we don't do something soon.

Which area would be more suitable for him? I know Nashville a little bit better but was wondering about the other two.
That depends on who the "we" is. If it is all four go for it. Depending on your life style any of the cities would be good.

However if the shy one does not want to move, don't.

Kids come first.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:

I guess it is hard for anyone here to answer without knowing what is it that makes that teenager comfortable? What are his likes and dislikes? Is his comfort zone at a skate park? Library? Skating rink? Or just at home?
Is there another reason why you HAVE to move? Or is it just a want thing for Mom and Dad? Is the move necessary for your kids safety? Meaning: is where you are living now detrimental to the kids because of out side influences or crimes in the neighborhood/schools or something?
Folks here really can't give you an honest opinion of which place in TN is better for a shy teenager because we have no idea of the circumstances of the intent to move or what he likes/dislikes/needs. If you could give us all a bit more info, maybe we can direct you a bit better?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:

Apparently mbmouse and I were writing at the same time.

I agree with the others. Moving a painfully shy teenager just a year or two before his graduation can be a recipe for disaster. I used to teach high school and have seen the misery that this can create in the life of a shy teenager who desparetely misses his old friends at home and resents being ripped away from his comfort zone.

As for which city is best for your teenager, there is absolutely NO WAY that any of us can answer that question for you. I am baffled that some people come to an anonymous internet forum and ask total strangers to make life-changing decisions for them. We don't know your son, you've told us absolutely nothing about him other than he's shy. How can you possibly expect us to offer you good advice?

There is a huge variety of school options in each of these cities you listed; they're big cities with lots of schools. Any one of them could be a wonderful place to live, or any one of them could be a horrible place to live.

You need to do more research--there are literally thousands of internet web sites with information at your fingertips. Figure out which city is best for your family's needs, which has jobs for you (I assume you need jobs?), and then come back with more specific questions.

This forum is full of friendly, helpful people who love offering advice and opinions. But you really need to be more specific in order for us to help you more. And, honestly, if moving is going to be so traumatic for your son, you might want to hold off until after he's graduated.

Good luck!

Last edited by JMT; 08-05-2009 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: wanted to acknowledge mbmouse's awesome post

Old 08-09-2009, 05:06 PM

18 posts, read 52,749 times
Thank you, jabogitlu, hiknapster and leonard. Since it's our dream to move to TN and not our kid's, we most likely will wait until he's out of the house.

My question was meant as a general one, asking about the atmosphere of the different cities. By that, I mean that I get a different feeling when I visit Atlanta than when I do Nashville. The pulse of the cities are different and I was hoping for feedback from longtime residents.

JMT, I am trying very hard to see the helpfulness of your reply but I feel it was very abrasive.

Quote:
I am baffled that some people come to an anonymous internet forum and ask total strangers to make life-changing decisions for them.
I certainly not asking anyone to "make life-changing decisions for me." I only mentioned that my 16-year-old was very shy to show that a place like New Year, for example, which is known for the big city hustle and bustle probably wouldn't be a good choice.

Quote:
You need to do more research--there are literally thousands of internet web sites with information at your fingertips. Figure out which city is best for your family's needs, which has jobs for you (I assume you need jobs?), and then come back with more specific questions.

I am quite aware of how to get specific demographics and I am in the process of doing so.

I'm finding it difficult to see where my question is any different than "I'm thinking of Fill-In-the-blank, I got three kids ages dah, dah and dah. Where do I need to look for good schools?" which is the type of question that is on these forums every day.

And yes, these kind, friendly folks on these forums are the best in offering helpful opinions and thoughtful suggestions.

However, rather than having to spend my time defending my too-generalized questions, I will retire from the field and leave the forums to those that know better.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM

243 posts, read 692,614 times
beth- I would definitely wait on moving.

I can say that I grew up in Chattanooga (from age 3-20) and I loved the city. I think it has plenty to do for all ages. I also lived in Nashville for 2 years after I graduated from college and, honestly, I did not like the city at all. I really tried to, but it just didn't happen. I felt like that if you didn't like bars, eating out all the time, or shopping every day. . .you get bored in Nashville. The only things I loved about Nashville were the Pro Sports (Predators and Titans) and Edwin Warner/Percy Warner Park. I LOVED going for a run or walk in those parks. And that is just me. I'm sure lots of people out there enjoy Nashville. To me, it is a place I like to visit, but I won't be living there again any time soon. In addition, if people in Chattanooga think the schools are bad, Metro Nashville's are worse. Plus, they recently acquired the former superintendent of Hamilton County Schools- Jesse Register (other Chattanooga residents can fill you in on Register and I'm sure you can google the name and find articles). Good luck to them, I guess. I'm just glad that I don't have to be in either school system since they both have issues (from what I've read Jim Scales isn't doing wonders for Chattanooga).

If you wanted to live around the Nashville area and still move while your kids are in school, I would try living in the Franklin area (better schools, but definitely a more expensive area). They have a special schools district (some of these go year round) as well as the normal Williamson County School system.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Thank you, jabogitlu, hiknapster and leonard. Since it's our dream to move to TN and not our kid's, we most likely will wait until he's out of the house.
Interesting choice of words.

When he's "out of the house" will he be going to school? He might be interested in UT.

Knoxville has wonderful high schools and the kids are very friendly here. Chances are very good that they will bring him out of his shell, whether he's in high school or at UT.

If it is just you, what type of area are you looking for?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times
Quote:

My question was meant as a general one, asking about the atmosphere of the different cities. By that, I mean that I get a different feeling when I visit Atlanta than when I do Nashville. The pulse of the cities are different and I was hoping for feedback from longtime residents.
Hi,

Looking at it as an adult, a parent and a kid. (I am both a parent and I was a kid. Some doubt the "adult" designation however). I would chose Knoxville if you and your family are a bit more relaxed and "country" as it were. Chattanooga if you want to be closer to activities, but are not "big city" oriented. Nashville if you want the hustle and bustle of a "big city" with lots to do, but also lots of traffic and a more cosmopolitan (hectic) life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee