Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Tennessee: transplants, cost of living, taxes, four seasons, real estate.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
LauraC, I hope you don't mind, but I printed out the post that contained this. I need to show it to my wife. Seems we have another location to look at in TN before we make that final decision! Thank you.

Tek
I can post this link because it's a dot org affiliated with the state community college:

http://www.discoveret.org/oricl/index.html

The school is located on the state community college campus. Roane State gives them classrooms and administrative support.

I wish I could show you the classes that are typically offered at ORICL but the summer session courses are what is posted now on their website and is a smaller and lighter selection that what they offer the rest of the year. The first time I viewed their website, about 10 months ago, they were offering retirees a class in Quantum Physics and one to locate and record data on box turtles. I went, "Whoa!" This summer, they have a session on monitoring those turtles as part of an environmental impact study. Last semester, I think, they offered a class on "The Mouse House" where the lab does genetic research. They have also offered classes related to alternative energy, weather, etc. This summer session they are offerering a 4 lecture series on "The Second Nuclear Era." I've signed up for a "trip" to see the wind turbines on Bald Mountain, have a lecture from one the Bull Run Fossil Plant Engineers and visit the Oak Ridge City Service Center to find out how we get our electricity and water.

You can take beginner mandolin and beginner 5 string banjo this summer. I must say I have never seen mandolin lessons offered anywhere.

They have a section this summer on The Age of Versailles that is broken up into literature, art and history lecture segments and is coupled with a trip to Atlanta to the High Museum to see an exhibit from the Louvre plus another stop at a history museum.

Not sure what kinds of things you and your wife like but they also have a trip to Nashville to see the Nashville Symphony rehearse, have lunch and tour the symphony center this summer.

I signed up for a 3 lecture session on Cades Cove, Birds of The Smokies and Flowers of the Smokies to find out as much as I can about the area. They frequently offer classes specifically geared to Tennessee or the region like one on the TVA last semester. Last semester (or the one before that) there was a segment related to US monuments, if I remember correctly, and then some kind of analysis or compare and contrast related to the monuments in the area.

There are also some lighter offerings, like there is one this summer on Cooking School - Tennessee (how to cook healthy food) and How To Buy A Car. Along with the fiction and nonfiction book groups, there are people who walk together on the greenway trails.

Unrelated to the school:

I got a kick out of the annual cardboard boat races in the town because to participate, you have to make a cardboard boat you can get into that is seaworthy. They also have a turbo turtle race for charity. I think I am really going to enjoy taking photos in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 06:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
All I can say is

We understand wind farms here:

http://www.energy.iastate.edu/renewable/wind/

(.edu site)

Great for wind energy - not much fun in the middle of a winter blizzard. I can drive an hour North and see wind turbines that stretch on for miles.

Pretty much everything you mentioned is something that will interest one or the other of us.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 04-25-2007 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 PM

64 posts, read 243,164 times
Default Continuing ed

[quote=LauraC;626581]I can post this link because it's a dot org affiliated with the state community college:

http://www.discoveret.org/oricl/index.html

The school is located on the state community college campus. Roane State gives them classrooms and administrative support.

What kinds of continuing education are offered in the Tri Cities? Anything at the local high schools or colleges? The classes Shen listed sound so cool!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
ETSU in Johnson City has a School of Continuing Studies

http://www.etsu.edu/scs/

Also, Walter's State (morristown-based) has a large campus in Greeneville that probably has some one-off classes and the like. (ws.edu)

Old 04-26-2007, 06:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
We have branches of Tussculum in Gray, Walters State, ETSU and UT branches in Kingsport as well, There is North East State by the airport in Blountville. I believe they all offer continuing ed class for all ages.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 AM

83 posts, read 402,970 times
I am embarassed to tell you that Eric Estrada was pitching land in Tellico Villiage. I asked where that was. Was told Eastern Tennessee. Started talking to you guys on this forum and just got back from my first visit. Drove all over the Smokies and Knoxville. We loved it there and hope to transfer with my husbands job when something opens up. Sorry but I think your secrets out. You have one of the most beautiful states and the friendliest people. Add affordability and small town comunities and good schools and you are really in trouble for transplants. LOL

Old 04-26-2007, 08:42 AM

64 posts, read 243,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
ETSU in Johnson City has a School of Continuing Studies

http://www.etsu.edu/scs/

Also, Walter's State (morristown-based) has a large campus in Greeneville that probably has some one-off classes and the like. (ws.edu)
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for something more esoteric, though, as I'm just finishing a B.S. in Business. I'd like to learn local plant/bird identification, roots of bluegrass music, beginning quilting, stuff like that. Anybody know of a bird watching or hiking club in the Tri Cities area?

Old 04-26-2007, 11:05 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
I am embarassed to tell you that Eric Estrada was pitching land in Tellico Villiage. I asked where that was. Was told Eastern Tennessee. Started talking to you guys on this forum and just got back from my first visit. Drove all over the Smokies and Knoxville. We loved it there and hope to transfer with my husbands job when something opens up. Sorry but I think your secrets out. You have one of the most beautiful states and the friendliest people. Add affordability and small town comunities and good schools and you are really in trouble for transplants. LOL
I think Eric Estrada must have some gambling debts to pay off. haha

But seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here. It really is a beautiful area, and while I hope we can maintain our way of life even with the influx of new residents, I'm glad to know that other people are able to see the benefits of living here as I do.

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves_fan View Post
Not trying to be rude, or discourage families from wanting a "change of scenery"

But I'm just curious here...and have a question to you Future Transplants who would ask us Southerners about moving to Tennessee.

Do ya'll just pick out a town on a map that you've never seen before and try to make a visual in your head of living there before you've actually seen it or visited?

I'm asking this because I notice alot of folks who start threads inquiring about "Small towns and what they are like in case they move there" when they have never even been here in the first place to even see what it's like.

I can just visualize the typical Michigan or Ohio family sitting around at the supper table talking about this and then getting out a map or of course getting on the internet and just randomly picking out middle to small sized towns here in Eastern Tennessee, and getting an idea that "hey maybe we should look into moving there, because its totally different then where we are now"

Its mind boggling how all these people even know about our communities in the first place.
Ok so now we know about the new people moving to TN and why, what about the people who have already live there? How did you get there? Were you once one of us trying to escape? Did you explore the areas before you moved? Did you have jobs already lined up? What did people who live there before you have to say about you invading their area? We're they as upset as some people are now about overgrowth?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 PM

92 posts, read 367,137 times
Default Why we are coming

My husband and I are actively trying to move to TN, he has applyed for jobs all over the state, and we are coming down next week for him to interview in Tazewell, and Tullahoma. I am looking foreward to relocating, the reason ? The weather, the housing prices, the beauty, and there are no jobs in MI. Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee