Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 11:27 PM

18 posts, read 55,076 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to a warmer climate. Visited NC - didn't feel "right" to us. Currently researching TN and would like to know your opinions about a good place to start an elder care business (non-medical help for seniors in their homes). We have a 4 year old so schools are very important. The Nashville area is appealing because it is only 7 hours from our family in IL but we are very open to looking at all suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 04:14 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
My first thought would be to look at the mid-sized to larger towns in Middle Tennessee (Columbia, Clarksville, Gallatin, Franklin, Tullahoma, etc.); this would provide a population base for a business of this sort. Then I would research what elderly care is available now in those areas, while also checking on the school system. I would also check the statistical data to see what the percentage of the population is over 65, and what the income levels are. This would at least give me a starting point.

Franklin might be a good place to start, but it would depend on what elderly care is already available there. Are you going to be competing again two other businesses, or twenty?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaS View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to a warmer climate. Visited NC - didn't feel "right" to us. Currently researching TN and would like to know your opinions about a good place to start an elder care business (non-medical help for seniors in their homes). We have a 4 year old so schools are very important. The Nashville area is appealing because it is only 7 hours from our family in IL but we are very open to looking at all suggestions. Thanks!
Cookeville and Crossville have both been ranked in the top 10 best places to retire according to Rand McNally, and both are also part of the state's Retire Tennessee program. Cookeville is also a college town and has outstanding schools. It's not in Nashville, but it's about an hour from the Nashville airport, and it's also more affordable than most of the communities around Nashville. Just something to consider.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Hello,
Here is the Tri-Cities we have "Senior Day Care Centers" I know of one in Johnson City and One in Kingsport. They are full from what I understand. I have a good friend that stays with one gentleman all day while his daughter is working. I see adds quite often looking for someone to stay with their elderly family member. I also see "will sit with elderly" job wanted adds to so I would assume from that that there is a need for it in this area. I would suggest the best place to call would be the hospitals, I bet they would know that info?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times
I live about fourty five minutes from Cookeville. It's a nice town. Johnson City was the only city in Tennessee ranked as one of the top 100 places to live last year (and several years, I understand). It's beautiful and there are great schools there.

My town is TINY so I won't recommend it unless you don't mind driving and enjoy living in a very remote area. But we love it.

One thing we DON'T love is cold winters and to us, Tennessee winters are getting just as unbearable as anywhere else. Hubby and I are planning to move west, I think.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 AM

18 posts, read 55,076 times
Thanks for the responses. I will look at each town you have recommeded. As far as the cold - is it really that bad? I would hate to move and find out it's not much better than IL. I don't mind a few days of snow but we started this year in Oct. and our last snow was about three weeks ago - too much!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:25 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
We had less than 2 inches total of snow in Nashville this year, and the low for the year was about 12 or 15 degrees.

Of course, some years it will get colder than that (below 0) and we will have more snow (10 or 12 inches). Generally our winters run from December to the end of February, but there are occasionally warmer days during that time as well. Generally, by early to mid-March it's starting to warm up and even many flowering trees are blooming. This year we had a freak cold snap in April, but that's really unusual. We tied the record for the coldest day in April ever.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Ditto on Alleycat's post for North East TN. We only got a few inches of snow that melted quick. But very odd spring, I think that was pretty much nationwide though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee