Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 02:06 PM

51 posts, read 335,448 times

Advertisements

Oh, and just a quick bit of information ^_^ Greeneville is spelled with an E between the N and the V

Old 07-15-2006, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,332 times
i bought a book from amazon, THE 50 BEST SMALL SOUTHERN TOWNS, by gerald sweitzer and kathy fields, should be a lot of help. greeneville is one of the towns in the book.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:17 PM

96 posts, read 563,047 times
Default What about the Housing in Greeneville ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyopapa
Anything you need to know about Greeneville, TN, I can tell you. It is my hometown after all. Personally, I cannot stand it here and am anxious to leave. Lol, Greeneville is DEFINITELY in the mountains...But its also about one of the most redneck constipated places in the world. I would be confident in saying that about 80% of this towns population is racist, homophobic, or in any other way intolerant due to overly-inforced religious beliefs. Greeneville has a Walmart, but doesnt every small town on the face of Gods green earth? The average house here is worth 84,000$, but youll soon discover why. Greeneville is notorious for having way more grocery stores and supermarkets than what you would think a town of its size could support. 2 Food Citys, 2 Ingles, a Dollar General Market, a Save-a-Lot, a Big Lots, a Kmart, a Walmart Supercenter, a Food Lion, and a Food Country in addition to a plethora convenience stores. The nearest two malls are about 30 miles to either the north in Johnson City or the west in Morristown. Both are rather small. If you want GOOD shopping, try Asheville 75 miles to the east or Knoxville 82 miles to the west. Even there, however, the shopping isnt spectacular. The scenery is good but the intolarant natives keep it junked up with Coke cans constantly, and hardly any city beautification laws are in effect. There is little crime in this town, mostly because theres nothing worth stealing. Glad I could help. Tokyopapa
----------Tokyopapa---I appreciate your candid info.-----Could you explain what you meant when you wrote: " The average house here is worth $ 84,000' but you'll soon discover why " ???---What about new houses ? --Don

Old 07-16-2006, 08:58 PM

39 posts, read 195,713 times
Default Why?

[quote=tokyopapa] Greeneville is DEFINITELY in the mountains...But its also about one of the most redneck constipated places in the world. I would be confident in saying that about 80% of this towns population is racist, homophobic, or in any other way intolerant due to overly-inforced religious beliefs.

I don't understand all the racism??? Why are rednecks racist? And I thought Christian people are supposed to love others as a brother or a sister. This redneck/Christian mentality is full of hypocrisy! Does there seem to be any improvement with the younger generations or are the parents doing a good job breeding hate in their children as well?

Old 07-17-2006, 10:51 AM

130 posts, read 566,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventure
I don't understand all the racism??? Why are rednecks racist? And I thought Christian people are supposed to love others as a brother or a sister. This redneck/Christian mentality is full of hypocrisy! Does there seem to be any improvement with the younger generations or are the parents doing a good job breeding hate in their children as well?
You don't understand the racism....heck, I can't even find it.

It amazes me when I thumb through these message boards. You'd think the entire state is standing around a burning cross in white robes holding crystal meth pipes and orderin' their "ole' lady" to "git 'em a beer".

The racism, sexism and drug problem is no worse here than anywhere else on the planet and better than most places I've been. Sure, more rural areas might have less tolerance and more substance abuse problems but that's a universal truth. There are plenty of rural areas in Florida (Hudson, Moon Lake, Plant City and Lakeland just to name a few specifically in the Bay Area) have more drugs, more bigotry and more ignorance than around here.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something but I find it odd when people make this sound like the land of the inbred cranked up meth-head. If he's around here, I haven't met him.....

Joe

PS: I'm sure one of the astute board members will call me self contradictary since I posted last week that inter-racial relationships might be frowned upon in Greeneville. I'm well aware of this inconsistency and I'll preface any forthcoming criticism by saying that I don't believe being against inter-racial relationships is automatically indicitive of one being racist.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDOOWOP
----------Tokyopapa---I appreciate your candid info.-----Could you explain what you meant when you wrote: " The average house here is worth $ 84,000' but you'll soon discover why " ???---What about new houses ? --Don
Gladly. Until the recent surge of retirees and people seeking to get out of Florida, Greeneville has always been a quiet, rural town with hardly any substance or residential growth. No one around these areas could afford very expensive real estate, so housing was always kept pretty cheap. Now, with people coming and the residential market becoming tougher, suddenly newer and nicer houses built by the immigrants are pulling up the cost of the houses around them, which makes average housing more expensive to the Tennessee native.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:42 PM

130 posts, read 566,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyopapa
Gladly. Until the recent surge of retirees and people seeking to get out of Florida, Greeneville has always been a quiet, rural town with hardly any substance or residential growth. No one around these areas could afford very expensive real estate, so housing was always kept pretty cheap. Now, with people coming and the residential market becoming tougher, suddenly newer and nicer houses built by the immigrants are pulling up the cost of the houses around them, which makes average housing more expensive to the Tennessee native.
I guess this helps explain why half of these posts are about the epidemic of drugs, racism and sexism, huh? If we make it sound bad so no one else moves here then we can go on about our life without the influx of "fornurs", right?

It's very clear now. You guys talk about how bad it is with racism, sexism, drugs and rampant homosexuality and that is supposed to keep people from moving into your neighborhoods and towns, right?

Uh, it won't work. You can not stop people from moving into your state. If you don't believe me....ask a Floridian.

Joe

Old 07-17-2006, 04:33 PM

Haha. I really don't care about who moves here. Racism and sexism is alive and well in Greeneville. If you don't believe ME, spend a weekend at the local Walmart. I hate it here and plan to leave ASAP. Good luck with your life in TN. May it treat you better than it has me in my entire life. Best wishes, Tokyopapa

Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 38,520 times
Smile What I have found

You can see a complete city profile on (broken link). You can call the Chamber of Commerce and they send out a very nice little package with business listings. You can go to www.anywho.com and look up things you are particularly interested in such as golf (lots around Greeneville), restaurants, etc. We are relocating there at the end of the week. I have an aunt there who moved to Florida and in just a couple of years, they went right back.

We actually talked to several people around town via telephone about any bad areas there might be and the concensus is that there's a town about 20 miles away with problems, but nothing major actually IN town. The house prices seem a little high to buy, but probably because of the awesome views. My husband and I don't ever intend to buy again so the rental options are very nice for us, not overpriced at all.

Last edited by Yac; 09-11-2006 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-21-2006, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 7,314 times
tokyopapa

I hope you are not that closed minded in Greeneville,Tenn. I heard it was
very nice and friendly down there.. We are looking to come down and
check out the area. Our daughter is going to college down there....so we thought it would be nice to get a closer look.. Thanks for the info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee