U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2006, 02:15 AM

37,119 posts, read 38,767,374 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of retiring to Oak Ridge within the next year and a half to 2 years. Can anyone tell me where I can fish (artificial lures) from the shore in the area? I primarily fish for bass and I don't take the fish ever. I'll be visiting the area in October, and while I won't have time for fishing on this trip, I would like to at least stop by and check out the locations.

Also, are there any places in the area that rent john boats (for a day, a few hours) or row boats?

Any information you can give me would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,467,878 times
I grew up in Oak Ridge, and I really miss the lakes around there. Melton Hill is on the east end of town, and there is a nice park on the water right on the edge of town. Thats where the rowing course is. You can also go west of town to Melton Hill dam - another ncie park area. And there is also Carbide Park out near the labs. I think it has a new name now (since Union Carbide left in the early 80s, I left in the mid-90s), but the locals still call it Carbide park. About 20 mines wet of town is Watts Bar. b And 30 minutes NE of town is Norris. Fishing is definately not lacking in the area.

However, its a big however, most everyone has boats. You coul shore fish from the parks. We've done some shore fishing on Watts bar with moderate sucess, but most of my fishing spots are only accessable by boat. Really, the lakes are too big for row boats. I can't think of anywhere that rents jon boats either. You use to be able to rent power boats from some marinas down toward Kinston (Blue Springs in particular), but it may be more difficult now. I don't know the details, just that some friends of my father tried to rent a boat for the month of July, and something about new insurance or liability laws, they couldn't do it. Ended up buying a boat for the summer, planning to resell it later (they changed their mind and kept the boat).

For shore fishing, my husband recommends under the Pellissippi Parkway bridge (small park there), and especially down by Bull Run Steam Plant. You can park on the road there and walk down to the water. When you get into town, ask someone there how to get to these places. I could drive there, but I don't remember street names.

One other sweet spot that might be accessible from shore - down on Watts Bar in Kingston, there is a boat ramp right where the (warm) Emory and the (cooler) Clinch meet. The point across from the ramp is always a hot spot. Maybe the boat ramp side is too? Good parking there. Take the turnpike west til you hit 40, go West to Kingston, then left at the bottom of the ramp. The boat ramp will be about 2 miles down the road, just past Food City. About 30 mins from Oak Ridge.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM

37,119 posts, read 38,767,374 times
Rubytue, thank you so much for your response. I'm going to save it and print it out and take it with me. I am so looking forward to fishing, again even if it is fishing from the shore. I figure it will take me awhile to find the fishing spots in my new town but hey, I'll be retired. Your kind answer will give me a few places to start.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:51 PM

94 posts, read 374,146 times
Talking Check out this link

Laura, the Tennessee Valley Authority controls most of the waters and areas you are mentioning. You can go to the link below and there is an interactive map that tells you about the recreation areas and day use areas. This will give you a starting point. Good Luck, Kerry

http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/index.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee