U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 AM

380 posts, read 1,123,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Great info....I am in the Boro but want to move to Crossvlle area.
Here's my dliemma...I am a writer. Is there an area where creative types prefer to live. Any area populated by ltos of the college alumni? I don't like the restrictions of subdivisions..either I want to get some acreage to build a neat old house...where would you suggest I look to get the most bang for my buck, but not too far out? I don't need water or fishing or waterfront..a valley type vista view would be nice but I would be just as happy on an old type farm property. Any areas to avoid ie factories, substations, nasty toxic landfills, or drug areas? Thanks! Also is there an area where there are historic homes or a historic district? What's the oldest city closest to Crossville that has neat old antique stores etc? Thanks!
12buttons, I take many weekend trips to Crossville. Check out the Homestead area, just 4 miles south of old downtown Crossville. It has the rolling hills and views you are looking for. Land isn't cheap, but it will hold its value and in fact is still on the upswing. I have driven all over that area, as I dream of one day owning a Homestead house. I don't recall seeing any run-down houses or trailers, except one house that was hit by a tonado a few years back that still hasn't been torn down. The area is on the National Historic Register because it was one of the WPA Homestead projects of the 1930's. There is a stone tower/ museum and also a restored homestead house museum. Most of the farms in Homestead have subdivided over the years and sold off their acreage, so there are a few subdivisions mixed in, and some newer houses. But it is a lovely area. Many of the 240 or so Homestead houses still retain their wood ceilings, floors, walls and exterior character. Some have had some ugly additions over the years. The Homestead houses usually still have 1-2.5 acres of land. The area still has some working farms, a few streets have nice wooded "hollows" with CCC built stone bridges. Oh - and one of Tennessee's prettiest state parks (Cumberland Mountain) is in the area. In fact, if you stay in the park's cabin called "Coon Hollow", it is actually a Homestead house. Crossville also has an excellent gourmet cheese shop, art store/gourmet coffee shop, there are a couple of antique stores, and Stonehaus Winery (local) is in town. The Homestead White is awesome, as is the Merlot.

As far as literary and artsy types, I'm not sure where they are concentrated. You might want to e-mail Mike Moser at the local newspaper's website crossville-chronicle.com to see if he can give you some info. I know that Fairfield Glade, which is northeast of Crossville, has an Artists Guild, but it seems like the residents are mostly retirees form New England, Florida, etc. It may be one of the more liberal areas in town, but it's an older popluation and has smallish lots. I hope this helps.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 AM

380 posts, read 1,123,129 times
Oh, and I like the Maryville area too. It seems to be experiencing some sprawl though. Gotta love that Pizzeria Uno! Townsend is nice, but rural (on the way from Maryville to the Cades Cove area), not grossly touristy like Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,255 times
Hi. I am new to this forum, hoping it is o.k. to ask a question? wondering how many jewelery stores and liquor stores in Maryville? Thank-you in advance for your time. Kim

Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 30,404,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookbird67 View Post
Hi. I am new to this forum, hoping it is o.k. to ask a question? wondering how many jewelery stores and liquor stores in Maryville? Thank-you in advance for your time. Kim
Hi Kim, there are LOTS and LOTS of jewelry stores and LOTS of liquor stores (we just got another new one within the last month). You can go to the yellow pages.com and do a business search. Welcome to the forum and ask all of the questions that you would like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>