Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee: taxes, cost of living, traffic, retirement, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:44 AM

86 posts, read 332,749 times

Advertisements

LauraC; Excellent post. I've been monitoring this site for several weeks and the theme seems to be focused on getting away from high taxes, high cost of living, traffic, etc... and very few questions or comments on what is available for day to day living.

I would like to hear some comments on what people are looking for in a community. How many are looking for a gated, age restricted, self contained community that consist primarily of like-minded newcomers...and how many want to integrate into existing communities, join local churches, civic clubs, become involved in volunteer organizations...etc.

I would also like to hear some comments on what a community can do to make newcomers feel welcome...especially about some positive experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 09:07 AM

630 posts, read 2,424,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. View Post
I would like to hear some comments on what people are looking for in a community. How many are looking for a gated, age restricted, self contained community that consist primarily of like-minded newcomers...and how many want to integrate into existing communities, join local churches, civic clubs, become involved in volunteer organizations...etc.
My husband and I are older parents, nearing the time when he can retire.
Our youngest is 7. The last place we want to live is in a retirement community.
As long as, there is a Softball Park in the town, and he can still run and play, that is where we will be.
We don't golf.
There will also need to be a Christian Fellowship that we would feel comfortable in. More non-traditional, like the Vineyard Churches.

I've been researching the Sumner/Robertson County area.
We will need to move somewhere near there, to be where my Dad has just moved.

Our 7 year old daughter is a Singer, so, being near Nashville has it's advantages.

Also, our 7 year old is involved in no-makeup, age appropriate pageants, like National American Miss, and American Coed.
This year, she won the state of Minnesota, as the American Coed Princess Queen.
So, we would want to live near the hotels that host the pageants each year.
One is held in Franklin, and the other is held in Nashville.

So, we've pretty much narrowed down our area.
Will be down in April to check it out.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:56 AM

257 posts, read 1,077,931 times
Uuummm, I am not ready for retirement yet, but I did visit Murray when it first came popular for retirees which was about 20yrs ago.

I am interested in a thriving community with plenty to do since I am still working........BUT, at the same time it would nice to be living in a community I can also retire in so I don't have to move again.

I do bicycle, walk, and love thriving downtown atmostpheres, not into the bar scene, but I do like outside dining, old privately owned coffee shops, and some good churches.

I do love my cities with riverwalks amongst them also, but I know that isn't always something I will be able to find.

My passion is finding an older home, maybe in a historical type neighborhood.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM

81 posts, read 307,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. View Post

I would also like to hear some comments on what a community can do to make newcomers feel welcome...especially about some positive experiences.
Just a suggestion maybe a poll would help to get the information you are looking for. Our requirements have changed and are relative to our age but this is my wish list

It seems like Tn. has VERY much to offer in terms of community events, recreation, church activites etc. So I won't go into detail other than I prefer to be in a college town as I do enjoy the classes as well as the students. As long as we are able to drive, we can enjoy what the area has to offer and when we can't.......hopefully there will be a good bus system. Major grocery stores and a pharmacy 5-10 min away but I don't mind driving farther for shopping like Target or whatever.

As far as my husband and I go, we would prefer a diverse neighborhood. One with singles, newly weds, families, and retired people. Although we do want to scale back in terms of yard work etc...we really enjoy gardening and have a riding lawn mower.... we just don't want to be crawling up on ladders trimming trees any more LOL sooo would like enough land for that but not so much that keeping things nice is physically or financially challenging.

I've often wondered why home positions in new developments are not staggered (to get away from the cookie cutter look) and why lot sizes can't be varied. Of course this would require a bit more planning but would offer some interesting options to a variety of people. I would assume most of the larger lots would interest families with kids where as the others might be more appealing to singles or seniors.

Neither of us care for the gated option nor the association thing. We have heard horror stories re: the control of your life some of these associations exert. In Las Vegas one poor man was not allowed to fly the US flag on Veteran's Day!!!! and it was on a nice pole etc....That's a bit much IMHO! If we want to have 20 family members for Christmas dinner I'm afraid we'd probably break some rule regulating the number of cars parked on the street!

Energy efficiency is a major consideration and not only in terms of worldly good but our fixed income as well....not to mention as we age we are more sensitive to cold. If mobile and modular homes offer 2X6 outer wall construction at reasonable prices....why can't stick built? We would be interested in older homes only if they have been improved in terms of insulation, windows, etc. Now, exterior maintenance is more important than in past years. Brick or vinyl would be high on our list. I'm not familiar with newer roofing materials but we would rather pay a bit more up front and know we will not have to have things repaired/ replaced in 5 years or with the first bad storm. Wide entry level steps....just in case one of us has to use a walker or something. The number of split level homes I see is amazing and these are so not handicapped or disability friendly. God forbid one of us has a hip replacement LOL Again this is something we are thinking about now but was not even considered a few years ago.

As far as interiors go I would like to see bedrooms large enough to accommodate at least a full size bed and dresser......they always seem to cut space in the bedrooms I prefer counter top stoves and double built in ovens........Makes for WONDERFUL family get togeathers and great big meals Bathrooms...at least one in the house that some one in a wheel chair could actually go through the door......I also had a home with a built in vacuume system, it was great! And again, as I get older, that would be so much easier than hauling out the vacuume. Laundry room on the main level but I also would prefer a basement or upstairs bonus room for storage. I also like the idea of some kind of heat back up system when the elec. goes out. I'm not sure if or how the effeciency of fireplaces have been improved. Wood pellet stoves are popular here as the reportedly burn cleaner with less pollution and seem to do a nice job of keeping a room cozy. I'm sure some of these "wishes" could be negotiated with the builders of new progects but it also they might give other seniors something to think about in terms of future housing needs.
Didn't mean to write a novel Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:40 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,236,951 times
I moved the above posts from another thread and created this one as I think it is very important. For those of you looking to move to TN and those who have already moved here and natives, please put here what you are looking for in a neighborhood, houses etc. This can be great benefit of info for local community governments, builders, etc.
This is not to say change what is here to be like something else, but to let folks like builders and local governments know what we DON'T want. There has been lots of talk here recently about not wanting cookie cutter houses, zero lot line houses, mass building in one area, strip mall after strip mall. The want to have the option of supporting local owned business verses chains etc.
Putting all this great info on how and why people want TN to be able to grow but not loose it's current appeal will be a great tool for those who have the powers that be. I'll see what I can do about getting your info, thoughts and opinions to some of those powers. Just a thought.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:34 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,768,345 times
I too am heavily in favor of getting away from the cookie-cutter houses for a number of reasons. Basically, they make older, neater, more historic neighborhoods look great in comparison. I've admitted several times that I am concerned about the out-of-staters coming in and buying up the state. From reading this blog, EVERYONE wants older, established, historic homes in established neighborhoods. So I'd hope that when and if I were to return to the state, all the areas that were even remotely interesting wouldn't be overpriced and overun. Just a personal fear.

It seems like housing these days in TN is split between 2 extremes: really ugly cookie cutter, and interesting historic areas.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,046,559 times
I want an older historic home, but I don't see a lot of people on this forum wanting that, too. I really don't.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM

197 posts, read 1,062,642 times
I have to agree with Hiknapster on this one....a lot of people (including me) want an older historic home.... but when you start looking and checking all the restoring work you will need to do and the $$$ you will have to spend in order to have the benefits of modern life....things change for a newer home. Let's face it...not a lot of people have the time and money to do that...
At the same time I agree that neighborhoods should be well planned and respecting the local traditions, for example southern lifestyle with large front porches and mountain views. You can find it if you look for it, sometimes even in newer subdvisions. By the end of the day, new construction is also a source of income for a lot (and I mean A LOT) of people. Planning is the key for a great area development without impacting nature, locals and the future of a community.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:22 PM

661 posts, read 2,886,726 times
Older homes are wonderful - so much more character than new construction.

There are a couple of reasons people may love them, but choose not to buy one. Though our last two homes were great old houses, the last one being circa 1890, this time we went for as close to new as we could get.

First reason: If the home isn't updated, Mr. Husband-person has to be at least marginally handy. To contract out for work that needs to be done gets pricey. Some homes are listed low, needing lots of structural or cosmetic work. That's great if you have the money and time and motivation to do extensive work on the house. Lots of people do and jump on good deals like this one.

Second reason: Even if the home IS updated (hopefully in a decor that's consistent with it's era), there will always be something that needs work or repair. Once again, if the owner is handy it's not too big an issue. If not, it's time to shell out more money. The work never ends on older homes.

My husband is good at just about all kinds of home improvement. This time around, with being in his 50s, he's done. He's been working on houses since we were first married. I don't blame him for being tired of it and wanting to spend more time fishing than building or repairing.

We both still love to look at old houses. The designs and materials can't be duplicated today.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:30 PM

661 posts, read 2,886,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I too am heavily in favor of getting away from the cookie-cutter houses for a number of reasons. Basically, they make older, neater, more historic neighborhoods look great in comparison. I've admitted several times that I am concerned about the out-of-staters coming in and buying up the state. From reading this blog, EVERYONE wants older, established, historic homes in established neighborhoods. So I'd hope that when and if I were to return to the state, all the areas that were even remotely interesting wouldn't be overpriced and overun. Just a personal fear.

It seems like housing these days in TN is split between 2 extremes: really ugly cookie cutter, and interesting historic areas.
Good news! Houses in TN aren't that polarized.

There was no way I was doing any kind of subdivision situation again. It was great at the time, with small kids, but my husband and I both like a fair amount of privacy.

Usually our house-hunting list numbered around 20 properties at any given time. There are terrific houses off the beaten path, but close to conveniences. It takes a lot of computer time, emailing realtors, and lots of footwork once you come down to visit. But one of the reasons I wanted to move here was so much diversity in real estate. I still like to wander around on TN real estate sites, just to window shop. Good stuff!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee