Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 07:33 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times

Advertisements

We started to look into Florida and found there are many homes with pools.

We shifted gears to look at TN because more of my kind of work is located there. TN can be warm/hot 6-8 months of the year - does anyone have a swimming pool? Where do they go to cool off? Stay inside all summer long?

Here in Michigan, there's plently of pools. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 08:17 AM

130 posts, read 566,361 times
Pursuant to Tennessee State Statute 1416.19 (2) pools may not be installed, built or constructed after the inception of bill HR9-89-148.2 which went into effect January 1, 2004.

There was a grandfather clause so basically if you had a pool prior to 1/1/2004 you can repair or replace it but you can't add one or build a new one as part of a house.

Joe

Old 07-18-2006, 08:30 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
Default pools

Do you know why that is ?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:10 AM

Yes, I'm curious like theqbaby!

So what about hotels and schools?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:57 AM

113 posts, read 529,718 times
I have never heard of that statute. People in Shelby and Tipton county put pools in when ever they want. Also, the new YMCA has a nice pool and water park. There are plenty of hotels with pools also.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:26 AM

130 posts, read 566,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby
Do you know why that is ?
Yes. It's because if people are going to ask a stupid question like "Does anyone in Tennessee have a pool" then I feel compelled to give just as dumb an answer as "No, they are illegal in these here parts."

Joe

Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
Yes. It's because if people are going to ask a stupid question like "Does anyone in Tennessee have a pool" then I feel compelled to give just as dumb an answer as "No, they are illegal in these here parts."

Joe
You bugger - that was funny!

Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM

38 posts, read 233,152 times
it was funny, BUT I was asking the same questions, I was house hunting and looked at hundreds of houses, no pools, it made me curious if it was because of water costs etc.

I don't think it was a dumb question, just an honest one.

Here is the answer I received.......

"I think the pool issue goes like this: For the most part the Mid South has the old history of a port and cotton town. So as the area grew, it grew from working class. The majority of pools would be in homes in a high price range. You do see the occasional lower prices home with a pool. But if you are buying a home say in the $130k range and want to put in a pool, you are looking at another $10k. Pools do not add value so, unless someone in really into swimming they just don't do it."

Thank you to the person who responded to my email.

Jamie

Old 07-18-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriecke
it was funny, BUT I was asking the same questions, I was house hunting and looked at hundreds of houses, no pools, it made me curious if it was because of water costs etc.

I don't think it was a dumb question, just an honest one.

Here is the answer I received.......

"I think the pool issue goes like this: For the most part the Mid South has the old history of a port and cotton town. So as the area grew, it grew from working class. The majority of pools would be in homes in a high price range. You do see the occasional lower prices home with a pool. But if you are buying a home say in the $130k range and want to put in a pool, you are looking at another $10k. Pools do not add value so, unless someone in really into swimming they just don't do it."

Thank you to the person who responded to my email.

Jamie
I did receive a PM explaining similar to what Jamie posted.

I was just covering my bases. I want to move the family so that I can advance my career. That's one thing we noticed when searching for homes on line, almost no pools were listed. If I can make the wife and 4 girls happy, the move will be easier.

Good one Joe P!

Old 07-18-2006, 01:46 PM

176 posts, read 799,987 times
Default I noticed the same scarcity of pools here

in Tennessee and wondered about it. Coming from the Northeast where pools are popular, after talking with my neighbors and locals it seems to come down to a question of values. A lot of emphasis in our media and culture is placed on beaches, swimming, seaside resorts, glamorous vacations and perfect-body models by pools and surfside but here in TN people seem to be more interested in horses, hiking, fishing and hunting, the latter a definitely PC-incorrect attitude in the Northeast.

I spent a lot of money for a pool at my former NY home but after calculating the cost of installation and maintenance, the relatively short swimming season and the labor of upkeep, I now feel I would have been better off with whole-house air conditioning there, something that was nice (and expensive to run!) but not absolutely essential. Here A/C is everywhere and cheap to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee