Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,408 times

Advertisements

I live in upstate NY 40 miles north of Syracuse, Here, our biggest worries are snow storms and TAXES..( NY loves taxes) I was wondering about how many Tornado's hit the Smyrna area in a year, I am a bit concerned about that and snakes... Was visiting reciently this year and saw my 1st rattle snake. YUCK!! Thank - You in advance for answers...
Kim

Last edited by Beretta; 10-17-2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: removed email address for your safety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 01:59 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,655 times
Kim,

There are rattle snakes in NY state too. I don't live in the part of Tn. that you are asking about, but I am from upstate NY. (East side of the state) rattle snakes weren't a concern in NY state and I doubt they'd be a concern here.
Pam

Old 10-17-2009, 02:59 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
I've lived in Tennessee most of my life (Clarksville, Nashville). I grew up in the country and tramped all over the place; now I live near a river and walk around the Greenbelt along the riverbank as well as the huge Warner Park nearby. I have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. There are some here, of course, along with copperheads and cottonmouths, but I don't worry about them, nor does anyone I know who lives here (unless it's one of those people who would worry about snakes if they were on the moon). I haven't even seen a snake of any kind in a couple of years.

Most snakes want to avoid humans as much as we want to avoid them. If you like hiking and camping you might occasionally see a snake, and it's possible to see one in your yard (mostly of the harmless variety), but it's not really a big concern to most people.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:25 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times
Also from up state New York.. Seneca Falls. On my recent trip to the Cumberland Plateau the biggest concern of the locals is the venomous copper head... mostly around rocks...and they have rattle snakes.

http://www.tennsnakes.org/

http://www.tennsnakes.org/venomous_not.htm

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 10-17-2009 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 05:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Lived in Florida for 10 years. I saw five snakes. Lived in Knoxville for four years. Haven't seen any. And I've lived in the country. They are here. Just haven't seen any.

By the way, I lived in New England for 34 years. Saw about four snakes there.

Snakes are everywhere, but they don't want to see you as much as you don't want to see them.

State parks report that 98 percent of bites are on the hand. What does that tell you?

If you are that concerned, get a cat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee