Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 AM

17 posts, read 46,027 times

Advertisements

Are sinus/allergy problems really so bad in Eastern Tennessee? Sometimes I read articles about the worst places to live because of allergy/sinus problems and it seems that Eastern Tennessee is always near the top of the list. Apparently people who relocate to the area have more problems than someone who grew up in the area.

Anyone have any experience with the problem? Any solutions you have found that help? Any home remedies that might work?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,764 times
I have terrible seasonal allergies/asthma.

I moved here from a 'garden' community in South MS, and have been here over 4 years now. The first year was a breeze, but since then, my allergies have returned with a vengeance. No worse than where we lived, but just as bad.

I'm hacking and coughing as I write this. Need to get my meds adjusted. I figure this is the price I pay to live close to either the ocean or the mountains.

As soon as we can afford it, we are getting an air filtration system for the house. And, I am really into homeopathic stuff. The extra-strength Clear Lung really works for keeping the congestion out of DH, DS and my lungs.

During the summer, I stay inside as much as I can on the orange and red air-quality days.

But, we hike and get outside alot. The allergies don't keep me house-bound. I just have to be wise about meds/supplements/when to stay inside.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times
I don't have any allergy problems except for some slight congestion but, yes, seasonal pollen allergies torment many folks in East TN.

Here are some recommendations based on research I did this summer for a suffering co-worker (NOTE: always check for potential interactions with any other meds you may be taking):

* butterbur extract: inhibits leukotriene and histamine production (Randomised controlled trial of butterbur and cetirizine for treating seasonal allergic rhinitis -- Schapowal 324 (7330): 144 -- BMJ; if you're allergic to ragweed, makes sure you don't get this extract if it's combined with feverfew (butterbur alone is OK)

* quercetin with bromelain: quercetin helps to block histamine production and may stabilize mast cells, while bromelain reduces nasal swelling; do not take bromelain if you're allergic to pineapples

* vitamin C: another histamine inhibitor

* Allercetin: a homeopathic formula that gets mostly favorable reviews

* local, raw honey: must be unfiltered & unpasteurized; farmers' markets are a good source for this

* raw apple cider vinegar: unfiltered & unpasteurized; many people swear this stuff can cure just about anything and I'm always wary of such claims, but it's cheap and worth a shot...might be a good idea to mix in a couple of teaspoons of the local honey to make it more palatable

A couple of good places to buy the supplements listed above are iHerb.com and Vitacost.com, which are much cheaper than health food stores.

More info:
Allergy and Hay Fever (allergic rhinitis) Remedies on Earth Clinic, Your Source for Natural Cures.

Natural Allergy Remedies: Supplements and Herbs

Allergic rhinitis

Allergy relief naturally with herbs, vitamins, diet, and supplements : by Ray Sahelian, M.D.

Healing Centers | WholeHealthMD

Last edited by kamoshika; 10-19-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 10:44 AM

17 posts, read 46,027 times
Thanks BARBG and KAMOSHIKA for your posts. I appreciate the information.

I have purchased a Therapure air purifier with uv light and will try it starting this evening. I will also try to get some local honey. I can make a breakfast on honey and biscuits with good coffee. I am not so sure about the apple vinegar. Maybe I will substitute ……..put some good golden delicious apples thru my juicer with some carrots and celery…..add in some wheat germ and some flaxseed meal.

I am curious: does living in a higher elevation help with sinus/allergy problems? For example would living in the Tri-cities area be better since it at a higher elevation as compared to say Knoxville? Does this idea have any merit or am I just kidding myself?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,042 times
I don't know if a higher elevation would help or not. Higher elevation in Tennessee means, somewhat more rural which means, probably more vegatation to produce pollen. This is just a thought of mine, with no scientific proof. Try honey and peanut butter sandwiches and sweeten with honey instead of using sugar.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
There is lots of vegetation in East Tennessee, so there should be more problems with allergies. That's what my doctor says, anyway. So going more rural, like to the Tri-Cities, is not going to help.

I had more allergy problems in Florida. I must have been allergic to something. Had an incredible amount of head colds, too. I chalked that up to so many people from all over the world constantly coming through.

Now, I get one head cold a year, maybe. I got one on Christmas Eve, though, so that stunk.

Anyway, I think my eyes are redder and itchier living in Knoxville. That's it. It's not a big deal.

I may have an issue with the minerals in the water, though. Kidney issues.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times
I never had allergies, but E. TN found ways to get my nose running, it's definitely allergy friendly area.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:06 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennPing View Post
curious: does living in a higher elevation help with sinus/allergy problems? For example would living in the Tri-cities area be better since it at a higher elevation as compared to say Knoxville? Does this idea have any merit or am I just kidding myself?
I am wondering about this a little bit myself.
I don't suffer a lot from allergies but I am prone to sinus headaches. (When I lived along the gulf coast I would get some killer headaches right before a hurricane.)
I have noticed since moving to Bristol from Memphis that I've had far fewer headaches this past year. Coincidence, or is there something to the idea of a higher elevation?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,390 times
I am originally from Arizona, I never had a problem with Asthma or anything like that, moving to the tri-cities on top of Roan Mountain has been a killer for me. The winters keep me sick every year-all year long. On the other hand, my mom who had asthma her entire life in Arizona, came east and does very well. They say if you develop asthma there and go to a moist climate it gets better, but if you develop it somewhere else you can go to the dry climate and get relief. Not medically proven of course.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 PM

44 posts, read 114,065 times
Default sinus/allergy problems in eastern tennessee

Southern Tennessee/Northern Alabama is bad sinus country. I use prescription sinus spray every morning often supplemented by pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee