Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM

11 posts, read 32,491 times

Advertisements

We need help very badly. We are relocating to TN in June of 09. We are coming from MI Detroit area. I have hotel reservations for next week in Jackson. We do not know where to move to in TN. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the East Side and the West Side? We first chose Savannah to move to due to the lake and the river, we like to fish. We are looking for a small town. Seems there are several down there. So maybe it would be easier to say what we do not want.

Drugs-Crime-No Work-any city or county that is like Detroit.

We need to find work for both of us, no particular field. Any job is better than no job.
We are suppose to look at a house in Milan when we get there next weekbut I just read that Jackson is not a good place to live. I heard that Memphis is just like living in Detroit.

Can anyone please help us out before we get there next week?
Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
I'm slightly confused. Are you looking for suggestions for where to live anywhere in Tennessee, or just West Tennessee?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 AM

Anywhere I guess. We are staying in Jackson next week to check out that area.

I was unaware that the East and West were very different. Sounds like I need to spen a month down there traveling all over the state.

What are the worst crime cities to live in there?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,470 times
With the state of the economy and many companies shutting down and others laying off people, I would not recommend moving to Tennessee or anywhere else without job offers.

Most people in Tennessee say that the state has 3 areas, west, central, and east Tennessee. All 3 areas have great places to live, but my preference is central or east Tennessee because of it's green rolling hills and mountains. You'll find lakes and rivers for fishing all over the state. Tennessee also has many small towns that you would probably find to your liking. I plan to retire between Cookeville and Crossville near the town of Monterey, TN.

You might want to provide more information so that everyone will be better able to help you such as:

1. In what fields of work do you have experience?
2. Do you have children that will need a school?
3. How small a town are you looking far?
4. Do you want to be fairly close to a major airport?

I hope you are able to find that special place.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen48089 View Post
We need help very badly. We are relocating to TN in June of 09. We are coming from MI Detroit area. I have hotel reservations for next week in Jackson. We do not know where to move to in TN. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the East Side and the West Side? We first chose Savannah to move to due to the lake and the river, we like to fish. We are looking for a small town. Seems there are several down there. So maybe it would be easier to say what we do not want.

Drugs-Crime-No Work-any city or county that is like Detroit.

We need to find work for both of us, no particular field. Any job is better than no job.
We are suppose to look at a house in Milan when we get there next weekbut I just read that Jackson is not a good place to live. I heard that Memphis is just like living in Detroit.

Can anyone please help us out before we get there next week?
Thanks to all
Yes, there are hundred of small towns (10,000 or less) in Tennessee. There are lots of lakes and rivers. Savannah has about 6,000 people in it. These towns almost never have jobs.

I don't know much about Jackson, but looking at the statistics, the crime is high for its size, although coming from Detroit, it would probably seem laughable. The biggest problem is it is located in west Tennessee, which is fairly flat and prone tornadoes. That's why I crossed it off my list, anyway.

You are going to have to stick close to the cities if you want any hope of finding a job.

Most people avoid Memphis unless they are transferred there. Nice people but very high crime. That leaves you Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville.

We live in Knoxville, which, compared to the rest of the country, has an average unemployment rate. Better than a lot, but not great.

But bear in mind, because Tennessee has done better than Detroit, our cost of living is a bit higher, especially regarding housing. Also, our pay is lower. That may not last with the changing demographics.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
I would honestly tell you to move to Nashville. There are more jobs - BUT there are more people moving there. By any kind of job, what do you mean? Most average jobs here pay anywhere between $7 and $11. Even that job market can be tight. Wages are LOW here and the cost of living isn't much cheaper. Sales tax is generally around 9% depending on your county.

Knoxville seems to doing well enough. I'm sure there are no jobs to be found, but it's a nice, small city with affordable housing (go inner city) and an average-to-low unemployment rate.

Volkwagen is opening a new plant in Chattanooga.

Most of the Tri-Cities manufacturing is shrinking with layoffs common, some of the ring counties have unemployment floating around 14%.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 AM

50 posts, read 139,860 times
Here's a link that might be of help to you guys. Although it's geared toward retirement it provides a lot of good information about TN in general Retire Tennessee Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM

29 posts, read 83,790 times
I would look at Nashville, Cleveland or the Knoxville area. I live in West TN, about 40 miles east of Jackson. For a city its size, Jackson has a very high crime rate. Anything from Memphis east to the TN river is rural, VERY few jobs. The Milan and Dyersburg areas have had some factories/industry to close this year. I would not even consider Milan, personally. Savannah is near the river, but no jobs.
Middle and East TN still have small towns, and being within driving distance of larger cities and with better healthcare, I would choose those areas to explore.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
As a Michigan native and escapee from west Tennessee, I'd say to not even consider any place west of Nashville. Boring, flat, and the locals really really don't like it when outsiders come into the area and compete for the few jobs that there are.

I'd aim for an exburb of Nashville, Chattanooga, or Knoxville.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM

We don't use the airports at all so that is not an issue. Any school is better than the one she is in now so that should not be an issue. Michigan has the #1 highest unemployment rate so I just thought that any state would be better than here. The people down in TN has always been real nice and polite and helpful. The whole way of life is so different down there that's why I chose TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee