Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM

83 posts, read 242,380 times

Advertisements

We are coming from a mid-size town in Mi and the main reason for moving to TN is the rep of how friendly everyone is. So between the tri-city area and the south or east side of knoxville where would you say we would find what we are looking for. Someone who is sitting on the porch and invites you up for a spell, or a neighbor who just wants to chat. (gossip does not count) people who want to go to the park with their kids and actually do things as a family together. We invited several FAMILIES for trick or treat in or neighborhood and they all droped their kids and left. One came home from school with us and his Mom said it would be okay if he stayed until Sunday she will pick him up around 5. We don't want to be judged because we wern't born there, but we sure would like to feel like we belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 10:32 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Knoxville Chamber - Home

http://www.thingstodo.com/states/TN/east.htm

http://www.outdoorsintennessee.com/

http://www.slackpacker.com/map_tn.html

Not know your age ~ life style ~ occupation ~ family ~ size of family ~ and interest.. all help make that decision of where to put down roots... Tennessee is a big place.. I'm hoping to be their in 2010

Old 11-04-2009, 04:57 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times
I, too, hope to call TN home in 2010 and am from a mid-size MI city. Having been to TN and having been in contact with many TN residents, I will say they are among the nicest folks out there. The Knoxville forum alone has some of the greatest people, not to mention the Chattanooga forum. Not every single last one of them will welcome your arrival, but for the most part, you'll be okay so long as you don't act like the north is better and talk of how "TN should change this or that and be more like up north". I wish you luck on your quest, you picked a wonderful area to check out.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I don't think you're going to find that much difference between the Tri-Cities folks and the Knoxville folks. It would be a toss up as to which area is friendlier, Heck, we pop in to each others forums all the time.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I just noticed this thread. We had a great Halloween. Our daughter was invited to a party and we went trick-or-treating in that subdivision. There were lots and lots of decorations and people.

but I understand your disappointment. I've been there, too.

People are welcoming here. Very family orientated. I like Knoxville but honestly, I don't know of a place that isn't friendly in Tennessee. Even Memphis people are very friendly. There is just too much crime and the city was terribly run to the point of where it is a complete mess. The people are still great, though.

We moved to Knoxville four years ago from Florida, but are originally from up north. I'm at the point now, where I don't notice people's individual accents, where they are from. It just doesn't matter here. You can't do wrong by moving here.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:57 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
I live in the city of Knoxville and I never go out and about without shooting the breeze for at least 15 minutes with strangers. Last week I was grocery shopping and had a very in depth conversation regarding the frozen pies with a woman I'd never met in my life. It doesn't matter where we go there is always someone to talk to.
I think a feeling of belonging is a state of mind. I'm a transplant and I feel like we belong here. I love living here.
Pam

Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 PM

181 posts, read 464,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I live in the city of Knoxville and I never go out and about without shooting the breeze for at least 15 minutes with strangers. Last week I was grocery shopping and had a very in depth conversation regarding the frozen pies with a woman I'd never met in my life. It doesn't matter where we go there is always someone to talk to.
I think a feeling of belonging is a state of mind. I'm a transplant and I feel like we belong here. I love living here.
Pam

LOL !!!! I'm just trying to figure out how an "in depth" conversation would go about frozen pies.. LOL ! Just cuttin up with ya....I like talkin with strangers too when out.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLWR View Post
LOL !!!! I'm just trying to figure out how an "in depth" conversation would go about frozen pies.. LOL ! Just cuttin up with ya....I like talkin with strangers too when out.
Well you'd be surprised ,the opinions on frozen pies that go back and forth from two women with their noses pressed against the glass freezer doors.
Well you start out by commentting on which pictures on the box look good enough to eat, then you compare notes on brands and then you get serious and discuss price and who has what on sale for how much.....

Old 11-05-2009, 06:27 AM

181 posts, read 464,620 times
AAHHH...I got ya now ! LOL I have to agree some of those frozen pies look pretty good on the box , tried a couple of them , not bad ! Your to funny !

Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLWR View Post
I bet it was a deep dish pie crust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee