U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 07:32 PM

10 posts, read 25,058 times

Advertisements

These are the places I'm deciding between...I'm fixing to turn 24 and am currently applying for jobs in these cities. I'm currently in Birmingham finishing my masters and am looking for somewhere with plenty to do. Atlanta might be too big for me (the traffic is hell). I've heard Nashville is awesome but didn't know if Chattanooga would make it easier to meet people because it's smaller. I visited asheville this past week but everyone there was very hippy-ish...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but i'm not sure i'd fit in...

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:13 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,890,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngumdrops View Post
These are the places I'm deciding between...I'm fixing to turn 24 and am currently applying for jobs in these cities. I'm currently in Birmingham finishing my masters and am looking for somewhere with plenty to do. Atlanta might be too big for me (the traffic is hell). I've heard Nashville is awesome but didn't know if Chattanooga would make it easier to meet people because it's smaller. I visited asheville this past week but everyone there was very hippy-ish...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but i'm not sure i'd fit in...

Thoughts?
Well, I moved to Nashville from NJ at age 26 and had no problem meeting people or finding things to do. I have no idea about Chatt. though.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 AM

625 posts, read 4,348,955 times
I'm fairly confident there are way more people moving to Nashville vs. Chattanooga-I've met so many young people who are new to Nashville that it's pretty easy to meet people if you put a little effort into it-just like anywhere you would live. I lived in Atlanta and got tired of the traffic-Nashville is much more manageable.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:17 AM

256 posts, read 563,611 times
i don't think you can go wrong with any of those options. Asheville and Chattanooga are both BEAUTIFUL and really hip/comsopolitan "mountain towns". Asheville is much more expensive though and much harder to find a job as it is more of a "resort town". CHA probably wins between the two in terms of liveability. Yet, both have share a strong positive of being well-postioned geographically. In Asheville, you're a quick drive to Charlotte and all it offers culturally and its major airport; and in CHA, you're a quick drive to ATL, and all it offers culturally and its airport-to-the-world.
"Comparing" ATL to Nashville is tougher. ATL is much, much bigger and certainly has nearly everything you could possibly want. With that, however, often comes everything you could possibly not want.
I have a special affinity for Nashville -- always have -- so that's my vote. TN is a beautiful state, and Nashville with its rolling hills and horse farms and lakes is no exception. It has a great night scene. It has the shopping and dining that most of us can realistically afford and actually go to. It's manageable as others have said. But, if you are lucky enough to get a job in downtown ATL, live in a safe, inner-ring urban/suburban neighborhood. in walking distance to all the action..I'm not going to lie -- that'd probably be my pick if I had the means and rarely had to face traffic. But, for most of us, life is spread out.
But, you really can't go wrong. You just have to decide what is most important to you, and factor in where your family/friends are and don't underestimate your proximity to whatever your "anchor" in life is. And you are certainly young enough to have the opportunity to experience many different "lifestyles" in your days. What suits you best today?

Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 AM

6,761 posts, read 15,333,240 times
I think you need to visit the others besides Asheville. All four are very different cities with totally different feels and diverse offerings.

As someone noted, housing stock in Asheville can be very expensive for what you get and the job market there is always really tight. There are lots of transients and otherwise immigrants (mostly Yanks ) but they're mostly a bit older than the professional twentysomething crowd that rules Atlanta and Nashville. And as you experienced firsthand, there is a HUGE counter culture liberal movement in the Asheville area. It could be difficult to easily find friends if you're not up to growing some veggies on your back patio, going out to the hookah bar, protesting the Iraq war and making new clothing creations out of vintage rags to sell in your shop downtown.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM

256 posts, read 563,611 times
To each his own, but i have to agree that the hippie vibe of Asheville would wear on me day-to-day. There are parts of the city that are less "extremist", but they're either uber-suburban or uber-wealthy.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 PM

36,376 posts, read 37,124,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngumdrops View Post

Thoughts?
Asheville is waaaaay hippieish but it's smaller than the other three. I also felt a big disconnect when I was considering it and visited. Why don't you wait and see who gives you the best job offer, then rent and explore the city neighborhoods and surrounding towns to see what you like?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 PM

225 posts, read 544,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
"Comparing" ATL to Nashville is tougher. ATL is much, much bigger and certainly has nearly everything you could possibly want. With that, however, often comes everything you could possibly not want.
I have a special affinity for Nashville -- always have -- so that's my vote. TN is a beautiful state, and Nashville with its rolling hills and horse farms and lakes is no exception. It has a great night scene. It has the shopping and dining that most of us can realistically afford and actually go to. It's manageable as others have said. But, if you are lucky enough to get a job in downtown ATL, live in a safe, inner-ring urban/suburban neighborhood. in walking distance to all the action..I'm not going to lie -- that'd probably be my pick if I had the means and rarely had to face traffic. But, for most of us, life is spread out.

This is one of the most accurate observations on this site about Atlanta. You are so right that if you are lucky enough to live ITP (inside the perimeter) then, traffic really isn't a problem in Atlanta and your life is more city like. Being a native Atlantan, I get really tired of hearing people say they are from Atlanta (when they are actually 20-30 miles outside of Atlanta) and don't have an accurate source of info about what it's like to actually live IN Atlanta... so it's quite refreshing to read your post

Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 PM

623 posts, read 1,432,576 times
Much easier to meet young recent grads in Nashville vs Chattanooga. Much better nightlife and many more things to do.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 AM

415 posts, read 1,418,158 times
I don't know your field/profession, but I would think that would have a great impact on your choice. The 3 economies are hardly identical in opportunities.

Chattanooga is small city (as is Knoxville). Nashville certainly has a broader economic base and more activities/events/shopping. Atlanta is a whole other scale (kind of a small "LA of the east" with its sprawl). You probably need a road trip to get a feel of what is most appealing to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee