Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:56 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,172,828 times

Advertisements

Crime statistics can be useful, but they don't tell the whole story. For example, there is quite a bit of crime in Nashville (not surprising for a city approaching one-million, and a diverse population).

However, there are factors that significantly reduce your chances of being a victim of crime: There are some bad neighborhoods, if you don't live in one of those, you have much less chance of being involved in a crime. If you're not into the drug scene, you have much less chance of being involved in a crime. If you don't go to the rowdier clubs, especially after-hours clubs, you're have much less chance of being involved in a crime. If you don't have friends who are what your mother called "the wrong crowd", you have much less chance of being involved in a crime. If you don't have violent or abusive family members, you have much less chance of being involved in a crime. And, unfortunately, certain occupation are more dangerous than others; being a convenience store clerk or a cab driver come to mind.

I have lived in Nashville for well over twenty years, and before that, went to school here. The only incident I've ever had was having a mower stolen from my backyard a few years ago. I grew up in Clarksville/Montgomery County and, fortunately, never experienced any crime at all there. Things were a little different back in those days however.

Of course, no one is immune from crime. Crime happens everything and to all sorts of people. I might get mugged on my way home this afternoon. I hate that crime has risen in most parts of Tennessee in the past twenty years and most people probably feel less safe than they did then; but, twenty years ago, people weren't shooting up high schools and colleges either (or at least, not as often).

Just my own rambling thoughts and opinions . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 PM

45 posts, read 153,578 times
Thanks Alleycat for your response....I agree and said Yes to all the things you listed in your post...I hate hearing that crime has increased so much. Are the laws very strict on crime and do they enforce it or just give the people of Tenn. Lip servive? When I move to TN. I hope i'm not taking a dive into the frying pan....Thanks Again for your reply....Made a lot of sense...One last item...I know a lady in michigan with 2 kids will be moving to Nashville soon and I'm concerned for her and the kids safety...

Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,172,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy View Post
Thanks Alleycat for your response....I agree and said Yes to all the things you listed in your post...I hate hearing that crime has increased so much. Are the laws very strict on crime and do they enforce it or just give the people of Tenn. Lip servive? When I move to TN. I hope i'm not taking a dive into the frying pan....Thanks Again for your reply....Made a lot of sense...One last item...I know a lady in michigan with 2 kids will be moving to Nashville soon and I'm concerned for her and the kids safety...
I don't think it's increased so much in most areas, but it has in some. The laws are pretty strict here (at least they were for one gentleman last week . . . who is no longer with us).

You shouldn't worry about your friend any more than moving to any other city. Atlanta, Dallas, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Charlotte, Richmond, Portland, Boston, Las Vegas . . . they all have crime. If she moves to a reasonably nice neighborhood, she'll be fine.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy View Post
I have no idea if you are taking a dive into the frying pan unless I know where you are moving from. A city? The country? What's the crime rate? Where in Michigan is your friend moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee