Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:41 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times

Advertisements

What the heck is that about in Murfreesboro. Just read the article on CNN web site. What kind of school and teachers would agree to do something like that terrorizing these kids. I know it doesn't speak for all schools in TN but my gosh a very real mock drill for something so scary i think is way out of line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
We read about it yesterday, then saw it everywhere afterward. Unbefreakinlieveable!
I cannot imagine what those idiot staff members were thinking, how the kids will get over it, or what I would do if it was MY child. Just wrong on SO many levels.

Surely those in charge of the field trip will be fired......right??

Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 AM

81 posts, read 197,735 times
I can't believe anyone could do this to children. How could people who are supposed to care for children do something like this? I actually looked at housing in Murfreesboro and heard the schools were great. Not so I guess.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
They called it a typical campfire prank?

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...tack.cnn&wm=11

I can't help thinking of Emilytn. She told us that the school system there was horrible and we all jumped on her. Now I wonder.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
I can see one person coming up with this idea, and while having the best of intentions, just not thinking it through. But if three or four people planned this, you would think one of them would have suggested that maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

The worse thing would have been if one of those kids had called 911. The next thing you know a SWAT team is on site with automatic weapons looking for a crazed gunman.

I'm sure this will get even more news coverage. It's all over the news here.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times
it's almost like crying wolf only next time it will really be happening and these kids won't know what to believe let alone be afraid to go on field trips again or yet even trust their teachers again. Kids should be able to look up to their teachers for comfort and safety not be afraid of them doing some stupid stuff like this.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:34 AM

225 posts, read 1,144,167 times
This is a truly a freak incident and should not be taken as a reflection on the entire Murfreesboro school system. No one can control the actions of other individuals. I live in Murfreesboro and have two little girls still in elementary. If this happened at their school I would be beyond livid. There is no explanation, no reason, no excuse for this behavior. I think it started out as what a seriously misguided adult thought would be a "learning" exercise to teach the children. Let's just say they obviously had a serious problem with judgement and good common sense. These were kids for heavens sake!

Believe me, this is NOT normal for schools in Murfreesboro and parents here are very upset. Emails have been passed between parents and everyone is upset - even if their child does not attend that school. Mine do not attend Scales, but it is actually a great school that everyone loves...until this. I wouldn't blame the entire school for what a few did. I can't imagine that individuals wouldn't be fired on this. To cause a child to have this much terror is just unimagineable to me. I know my little girl would have been absolutely terrified beyond belief. I am so sad for the children, and angry that adults allowed this to happen.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Well, I'm sure it can't be the entire school system. True.

The interview with that parent: She said the press release called it a campfire prank, which doesn't sound like a drill with good intentions. And it is crying wolf. Now, if something does happen, the kids won't think it is real.

I bet there is a horde of lawyers in that school's parking lot, today.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 AM

61 posts, read 244,762 times
You can't even say the word "bomb", as a joke, on an airplane without being hauled off, questioned and who knows what else. I wouldn't be surprised if parents file charges against these teachers based on that same premise.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,031,559 times
As far as pranks go, you have to admit this was more original and well-planned than calling someone and asking if their refrigerator is running. One article I read said that once the kids were told it was a joke, they were high-fiving and congratulating the teachers for pulling one over on them. I think a lot of the media coverage has been grossly sensationalized. But I don't have kids yet (that I know of), so my point of view is obviously different from a lot of you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: