U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 14,631 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move from florida to the Manchester/Tullahoma area sometime in June. I have lived in Bradenton for the past 35 years, the traffic and home prices have become outrageous. We visited Manchester back in November and just loved it! We would like to rent a home before buying so we can get to know the area first, but I can't seem to find any rentals. If anyone can give me information on home rentals, employment, schools or just good information on the area I would really appreciate it. It will be a big move with two kids and the family dog!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2006, 03:57 PM

22 posts, read 116,065 times
Default Tullahoma

Hello,
You are choosing a wonderful area to think of moving. Manchester is a nice small town with nice and friendly people. Also there is Tullahoma which i live. Tullahoma is a city of around 23,000 a small town with all the amenities of a large city with stores such as Dillards, J.C. Pennies, Goodys, Peebles and much more all located in Northgate Mall. We also have restruants such as red lobster,fazolis,applebees,etc. There are also many job opprotunities in many fields here in Tullahoma. We have one of the best school systems around with state honors. We take pride in Tullahoma city schools and our wonderful educational opprotunities. We have schools of higher education to such as Motlow state college and UTSI university of tennessee space institute, the united states only space institute. So i hope you like the area you are considering to move heres just an idea of what Tullahomas like.
Tyler Lund

Old 02-27-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Thanks for the helpful information

Thanks Tyler for the helpful information....Hopefully we will be able to find a rental soon. From what I was told, rental homes are very hard to come by.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Default We actually did it...

We are on our way to Tennessee! We found a home in Lynchburg and my husband found a job in Shelbyville. We are packing our furnishings and rented a huge truck and will be on our way Memorial weekend! My husband is there already and said that Middle Tennesse is so beautiful and the people are so so so NICE!!!. We are very excited and can't wait to get away from all the traffic and people here on the gulf coast of Florida. Yes, I will miss the beaches, but that's it! After 35 years of living in Florida, I can't believe we are actually moving to Tennessee!!!:

Old 05-20-2006, 10:27 AM

28 posts, read 87,462 times
We moved to middle TN in March from Florida. I have met so many people from Florida and California here. Yes it is very pretty and people are friendly but I am missing Florida's weather. I can count on my hand the number of days that have been enjoyable. There is nothing like the weather in FL. We had the hurricane but here you fear the tornados. So far I wish we would have spent more time here before we made such a big move. All I can say is research and think about the big picture before making a big jump. We left due to the cost of living. We just couldn't down size with taxes and homeowners. I wish we would have mapped out a plan B before we did this. Maybe rent and see how the area would go. I was a teacher down there and maybe it was the school I was at but they were on the ball. They teach old school here. Everyone is at a lot slower pace here. Good luck! Do your research!!!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:02 PM

32 posts, read 152,816 times
gee this board is so wonderful lots of info were looking to leave fla also .were in orlando to busy home prices to high. my husband isgetting ready to retire yes will miss fla but were fromphilly so we know it will not be all sunny day's well sunshell sorry your not to happy there maybe a move toan other area in time . that'swhywe want to rent the houseing market could cool and then we might not be able to sell like here in fl but it ;s slowing down here also i hope you come to love it up there debbie

Old 05-25-2006, 01:52 PM

6 posts, read 20,002 times
Sunshell,
Could you be more specific about what you miss about Fla. Would you not have traded the cost of living, congestion, education, etc.. now that you are actually living there? I'am a teacher in So. Fla., how are the schools different? According to the national averages, Fla. is considerably below Tennessee's scores in reading and math (check out greatschools.com). Yet, you seem disappointed.
I would love to hear more about your experience. Usually it is just those of us in the process of relocating who post. However, not that many resent "transplants" share their experiences.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:56 PM

22 posts, read 116,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeach920
We are on our way to Tennessee! We found a home in Lynchburg and my husband found a job in Shelbyville. We are packing our furnishings and rented a huge truck and will be on our way Memorial weekend! My husband is there already and said that Middle Tennesse is so beautiful and the people are so so so NICE!!!. We are very excited and can't wait to get away from all the traffic and people here on the gulf coast of Florida. Yes, I will miss the beaches, but that's it! After 35 years of living in Florida, I can't believe we are actually moving to Tennessee!!!:
Good deal... If you ever need too know anything about the area, give me a call, at (931) 393-3008 or through an email my way at tylerlund@charter.net, you found a great community with lots of nice people.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:07 AM

94 posts, read 368,620 times
Default Tennessee Weather

Quote:
We moved to middle TN in March from Florida. I have met so many people from Florida and California here. Yes it is very pretty and people are friendly but I am missing Florida's weather. I can count on my hand the number of days that have been enjoyable. There is nothing like the weather in FL.
SunShell, give the weather some time. We have had an unusually wet and cold spring this year. Everything is blooming later than usual and it has been rainy and gloomy. This is not normally the case.

We usually see a few warm days in february...then by mid-march it is usually nice. My advice is to give it a little time.I think our weather will return to normal and you can get out and enjoy the warm sunny days.

Hang in there...Tennessee is beautiful and we're glad you are here.

Kerry

Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 23,656 times
I am a fairly recent South Florida to Tennessee transplant. My husband and I made the move in October '06, after spending 36 years in SoFla. We are SO happy we made the move. The weather here is beautiful and having a change os seasons was overwhelming for me! We moved just in time to see the fall foliage change, so beautiful! We were tired of the 95 degree hot and humid weather 95% of the time.

We moved to Smithville, TN which is about 50 minutes SE of Nashville. Close enough to drive into for the entertainment and shopping, but far enough away for the 'rural' feel.

We are still about 10-15 years away from retirement and we didn't have any trouble finding jobs in the area. We got plugged into a church right away and everyone is so gracious and kind. We feel like we're HOME!

Here's a website that tells a little more about our neck o' the woods: www.smithvilletn.com. Hope this helps you in your decision making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee