Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:19 AM

37,761 posts, read 40,866,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyshaw66 View Post
I understand that this isn't the first time you've heard this question, but here goes:

So I am 18 years old and I'm about to graduate high school. I'm a pretty conservative Christian. I love fishing, hunting, racing, country music, and pretty much everything else like that. Except, I'm from California and I obviously don't talk like you do there. So how would this turn out? Would I be excluded from society or anything?

I am just so tired of the fast-paced lifestyle of Sacramento, and the overwhelming liberal influence. California seems like it's going down fast, and I don't want to be on that ship when it sinks.

And also, could someone let me know what are some nice smaller towns in middle or eastern Tennessee. I would love to live in a town thats definately not flat. Hopefully somewhere where I could do some hunting and fishing, maybe some racing.

I'm going to be taking a trip here in a few months, but I would love a starting point. So anything helps.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.
You are used to living in a big city with a population of 1,394,000 people. My advice to you is to look at a smaller (Knoxville, Chattanooga) city but not a small city and not a medium sized or small town. You are used to having things you don't even think about because you've always had them. You only need to be near hunting and fishing because if you are going to school and working, you'll only have time for hunting, fishing and racing on weekends and holidays. You need to maximize your chances of finding a job, too. Ask yourself, "Do I really need to be in the mountains or just be able to see them and get to them and hunting/fishing in a short time?" You don't have to live downtown in those places. At 18, and knowing no one, when you pick a college (and a church), you might want to see what type of social programs/clubs they offer in addition to classes and services. Tech and community colleges are not alike in that area. You also might want to do some Internet research into hunting/fishing clubs in the places you plan to look at. What kind of fishing (trout/bass/bank/wading/boat) and hunting do you do? See where those kind of clubs meet and how long it would take you (Mapquest will give you distance and time) to get to the meetings if you joined. They probably don't go all that far from where they meet to where they hunt/fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM

22 posts, read 41,090 times
LauraC thanks for the advice, but the whole reason I want to get out of the city is because I've always lived in one. It's not like I don't understand the difference in living in a small town. I do whatever I can to get out of sacamento as it is. So I guess what I'm thinking is that I would much rather live in a smaller town in the mountains and see city rather than the other way around. My goal would be to live close enough to work and go to school in a larger city and live somewhere quieter. Ideally, i would love for that drive to be less than like 20 or 25 minutes. But that might be hard to find.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,161,703 times
Quote:
LauraC thanks for the advice, but the whole reason I want to get out of the city is because I've always lived in one. It's not like I don't understand the difference in living in a small town. I do whatever I can to get out of sacamento as it is. So I guess what I'm thinking is that I would much rather live in a smaller town in the mountains and see city rather than the other way around. My goal would be to live close enough to work and go to school in a larger city and live somewhere quieter. Ideally, i would love for that drive to be less than like 20 or 25 minutes. But that might be hard to find.
Keep in mind, that places like Cookeville, Crossville, Sparta, Livingston even Oakridge, Morristown, Lenior City, etc... (small to medium sized towns) you don't have to go very far away from to "get away from it all" and be in the country. Since I'm most familiar with the Cookeville/Crossville area, I can say with some certainty, that within a 10 to 15 minute drive you could be in what Sacramento CA would consider "the boonies". Even cities like Knoxville and to a lesser extent, Nashville, which are large cities, you don't have to travel more than a half hour from the city limits to be in a relative country setting.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,132,806 times
Ten minutes from Knoxville and you are in rural. Our cities are just not the same as cities in other regions of the country. Knoxville feels more like a very big town.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM

185 posts, read 398,818 times
johnny shaw, you sound exactly the same as me..like exactly. I just graduated from highschool 3 weeks ago. I'm 18, conservative, christian and enjoy hunting, fishing, country and bluegrass. I'm in San Diego, CA. I'm moving to Southern Illinois as soon as possible to get out of this horrible place called California. I've posted an exact same thread as you but for southern Illinois. Good luck on your move. If you don't mind, could you send me a message and let me know how it works out for you when/if you move.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 AM

I understand exactly what your saying. Ive done a lot of research this week, and I found that larger cities like Knoxville aren't really like our larger cities here. And I guess work would probably be a little better in a larger city too? But I also looked into the cookeville/crossville area and it seems like a great place to live. But is it real touristy around those parts? I dont think I really want to live in a tourist attraction. Thats what turned me off to places around sevierville and pigeon forge and all that.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I understand exactly what your saying. Ive done a lot of research this week, and I found that larger cities like Knoxville aren't really like our larger cities here. And I guess work would probably be a little better in a larger city too? But I also looked into the cookeville/crossville area and it seems like a great place to live. But is it real touristy around those parts? I dont think I really want to live in a tourist attraction. Thats what turned me off to places around sevierville and pigeon forge and all that.
Tourist attractions around here consist of a few golf courses near Crossville, Fall Creek Falls state park, and places like Rugby, a former English colony with homes which look like circa 1800 styled and even this is 40 miles away.

The plateau region of Tennessee and the Upper Cumberland's are those places in which people drive by or through on their way to more tourist type places like downtown Nashville or Gatlinburg in the east. Admittedly, we do have some tourism around our lakes as many folks enjoy houseboating and water sports, but you will probably find that on most large lakes no matter where you go.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Oh that doesnt bother me. Ive always wanted to learn how to wakeboard. Maybe now I can learn. haha What is the terrain like in Chattanooga? The crossville area? Tri cities area? Etc... I know that once you get into Knoxville, it becomes more mountainous because of the Smokey Mountains huh?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Well we have two major lakes in the Crossville/Cookeville area. To the south of i-40 is Center Hill lake and to the north there is Dale Hollow lake. I haven't spent much time on Center Hill but it is very nice and fairly sparse as far as home density. Dale Hollow is one I'm more familiar with and in my opinion is either the best or next to best lake in the state. Its deep, clear, has a lot of access and is still fairly undeveloped as far as large lakes anywhere go. Best bet would be to google the lake names and check out some of the marinas. Center Hill is about a half hour or so from Cookeville and Dale Hollow is a bit further at like 45 minutes.

One of the personal reasons I enjoy this part of the state is that I can live way out in the country and yet still be 1 1/2 from Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga in case I feel the urge to indulge in metro life for a day. If you are into out of doors type activities its a great area, but for younger folks who might want more excitement, then you may consider something closer to one of those named cities.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,266,487 times
Quote:
Oh that doesnt bother me. Ive always wanted to learn how to wakeboard. Maybe now I can learn. haha What is the terrain like in Chattanooga? The crossville area? Tri cities area? Etc... I know that once you get into Knoxville, it becomes more mountainous because of the Smokey Mountains huh?
Not really. Knoxville is in the center (almost) of the TN valley. There are mountains to the north and the Smokies to the south. You can see some mountain tops from Knoxville in the distance, and it is hilly in areas of Knoxville, but it is not in the mountains. Picture it kind of like this. Picture a horse shoe sitting on a table, with the open end pointing to the left. Starting at the Tri-Cities area (where VA and NC sandwich TN by a sliver of a piece) is the curve in the horse shoe which is mountains. It is more foot hills in this region that is surrounded by the clinch mountains to the north and smokies to the south and it is all the Blue Ridge Mountains that touch. Then the sides of the horse shoe bow out ward..these are mountain ranges, inside the horse show is valley. Knoxville is in the middle of the invisible line between the end of the horse shoe. Does that make any sense at all?? hahahaha If that doesn't make sense, I apologize for the confusion, if it does make sense to you, I hope that helps you understand the topography in east TN a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee