U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 PM

369 posts, read 1,154,395 times

Advertisements

I hope I don't upset anyone when I say this but if you choose one school NOT to go to, choose UT-Martin. I've got one word that describes that place, and that is.....BORING! My sophomore year of high school I helped my friend's older brother move into his dorm room up there and was shocked by how there was nothing to do. He ended up transfering out, to a school down in Florida. He hated it and I can't say I blame him. There's just not a lot to do. If I had my choice of schools in Tennessee, excluding the private ones like Vanderbilt and Rhodes, I would choose UT, UofM, MTSU, UT-Chatt, ETSU, and than take your pick after that. And I'm a Memphis graduate. My first year at Memphis I had the lottery scholarship and paid a total of $1600 for my first year, which is UNHEARD of now considering it was only about 3 years ago. But the state has caused universities to jack up tution rates due to budget cuts caused by the economy. Stay in state though. It's not worth the extra money to go out of state these days considering some of the great institutions that Tennessee has.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM

16,006 posts, read 29,914,184 times
You're a high school junior? Wow, I am very impressed with your maturity. I am sure you will make the right choice and do well with your life.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 PM

6,761 posts, read 15,344,670 times
Are you living on campus? Rents in Cookeville and Johnson City would be cheaper, then Chatty and Knoxville, then Memphis. Just something to consider. I go to ETSU and manage to live on my own but I also work about 25 hours a week. And I get a 25% tuition discount for being a child of a state employee.

Hang in there, you'll figure it out some way. I never think I'm going to have enough to pay my tuition but it always comes through somewhere. You can take out quite a bit through Stafford too so...

Honestly though, I think maybe you should do a little more thinking about what you want out of a university. I also attended UT-Knoxville and found it to be more academically rigorous than ETSU, quite a bit so in some classes. I sailed through some of the classes in my major here because I'd already done the work in freshman level classes at UT.

Also, Memphis and Knoxville are much bigger towns, with better shopping, bigger scenes and more opportunities. UTK (and I'd imagine UofM) does a much better job than other state universities at things like internship placement, etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:34 PM

9,385 posts, read 14,930,786 times
I know it wasn't in your choice of schools but have you considered Murray State? Yeah, it's not a Tn college but they discount the tuition.
This was on the Murray State University on the Web web site.
Resident Tuition DiscountStudents from Henry, Montgomery, Obion, Stewart and Weakley counties will be assessed out-of-state tuition. A Tennessee Resident tuition discount will be credited for the difference between Murray State University's out-of-state tuition and the Tennessee tuition rate set by the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education.tudents from Henry, Montgomery, Obion, Stewart and Weakley counties enrolling fall 2005 and after will be assessed out-of-state tuition. A Tennessee Resident tuition discount will be credited for the difference between Murray State U

Regional Tuition Discount
Students from the state of Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Tennessee who are admitted or re-admitted (after a one year absence) beginning in the summer 2001 will be assessed out-of-state tuition. A tuition discount will be credited for the difference between Murray State University's out-of-state tuition and an average in-state rate, based on colleges from the student's state of residency on record with Admissions Services.

* In order to receive the Regional Tuition Discount, undergraduate students must be eligible for admission, enroll full-time and pay for university housing. Seniors are not required to live in university housing.

* Summer Regional Tuition Rates for graduate and undergraduate students will be based on their state's respective institutional rates.

And Murray has an awesome marching band and music program.
Just a suggestion! When I went to MSU in the 70s (yeah I'm old! lol) My suitemate was from Ashland,Ky., at the other end of the state. I asked him why. He and his parents didn't get along. They said they would pay his tuition and expenses as long as he stayed in Kentucky. Murray is the furthest university in Kentucky from Ashland. lol
Wherever you go, good luck!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 AM

22,583 posts, read 50,653,998 times
Maybe things have changed, but I had to have my parents co-sign for the loan and they didn't.

They told me they would pay for my college tuition. I am an only child and they have more money than God. Once I got accepted they said I would have to do it on my own. I guess they were hoping I wouldn't get accepted? Who knows. Anyway, I didn't qualify for financial aid and they wouldn't co-sign a loan. The rest is history.

But that was a very, very long time ago.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

6,761 posts, read 15,344,670 times
These days, in my experience anything FAFSA-regulated (including the powerful Stafford loans) doesn't require a parental cosignature. Private educational loans still do.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM

13,847 posts, read 17,510,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
These days, in my experience anything FAFSA-regulated (including the powerful Stafford loans) doesn't require a parental cosignature. Private educational loans still do.
Yeah, that's what my kid has, a Stafford loan. That, with the Pell grant, the Hope scholarship and the Hope Access grant covers probably 95% of the costs of his going to school and his living expenses. The part time work covers the rest and gives him a little left to cover some of his "wants".

Since the OP is a junior I think the best bet would be to go for the early action applications next fall and list his three or four favorite schools on his FAFSA. See what kind of aid is offered and go from there.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,589,685 times
I went to UTM and LOVED it! I know you said you're not interested in it but one of the advantages of going to a UT system school is that you are considered a grad of UT. period. Your diploma doesn't say anything about Martin or Chattanooga. The credits transfer easily as well.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 PM

623 posts, read 1,433,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I went to UTM and LOVED it! I know you said you're not interested in it but one of the advantages of going to a UT system school is that you are considered a grad of UT. period. Your diploma doesn't say anything about Martin or Chattanooga. The credits transfer easily as well.
Employers absolutely know the difference.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,949,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Employers absolutely know the difference.
Yes, they do. And I would say that in West TN, UTM carries considerably more weight than UTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee