Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM

33 posts, read 93,543 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been looking at places to go to college. I'm most likely going to stay in state due to cost. Cost is by far the biggest factor in my choice.

I live in Murfreesboro and my parents are allowing me to go wherever, but are kinda limiting me. My parents have told me that they are paying only for me to commute to MTSU. They'll pay that much and nothing more. So I'm looking at the $4000 for the HOPE scholarship and $2500 or so from my parents.

And it's not that I don't like MTSU. It's a good school. I'd just much rather move out of my house.

After doing the math, that covers tuition for...
-Memphis
-UT-Chattanooga
-Tennessee Tech
-Austin Peay
-ETSU
-UT Martin

Out of those schools, I'm considering Memphis, UTC, and Tech. And this is with a job, any scholarships I may get, and a Stafford loan to cover my other expenses.

My question to you guys, what do you think of these schools? What I want most is a school in a fun city with lots of stuff to do and some fun stuff to do on campus. I'm interested in Computer Science, so I know my area of study is in all of those schools.

What is your opinion of those schools? And if you want to instill any other advice, instill away!

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Every single person that I have known that has gone to UTC has hated it. I don't know much about the other two you are considering.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 PM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToArsenal47 View Post
Out of those schools, I'm considering Memphis, UTC, and Tech. And this is with a job, any scholarships I may get, and a Stafford loan to cover my other expenses.

My question to you guys, what do you think of these schools? What I want most is a school in a fun city with lots of stuff to do and some fun stuff to do on campus. I'm interested in Computer Science, so I know my area of study is in all of those schools.
Depends on what you consider fun stuff. If you like outdoor activities, I'd say UTC. That said, the nightlife here is subpar imo. One could presume that Tech's CS program carries a pretty good amount of weight around the state, for obvious reasons, but I personally found Cookeville to be a bore. Memphis would offer a lot of possibilities, but that city isn't for everyone. Lots of history and pretty good nightlife, but also some very miserable parts of that city. And unbearably hot during the summers imo.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Nationally, a UT degree will bear more weight, but in your field Memphis may be better (it is in mine, I know). To me, Memphis is a very dynamic city, alive and full of opportunity and change. Chattanooga is great too, but geared more towards twenty and thirtysomethings, while Cookeville's overall population and appeal is toward thirtysomethings onward.

Have you visited each of the cities? Cookeville is a nice place but personally I could never live there. Memphis feels very different than the rest of Tennessee and you may love that or hate it.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Have you ruled out UTK? They are supposed to have a pretty good computer science/engineering college.
DS is attending on the Hope, a 2k yearly loan, and a part time job. He left Memphis to go to Knoxville, I don't know if that says more about the quality of the computer science program at Memphis, the quality of life in Memphis, or just the fact that young people seem determined to leave "home" and try living somewhere different for a while.

Tennessee Tech in Cookeville is supposed to be pretty good too. We looked at it long and hard when considering schools for DS.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:19 PM

I would like to go to UT, but I'm not sure I could afford it.

I could cover tuition with the hope, my parents and the money I'd get from performing in the marching band.

That leaves room and board, meal plan, books and everything else I'll need. I can chop off some of that with loans, but I doubt my parents will cosign. The rest is work. That's why I'm so iffy about UT, it's cost. Other than the cost, UT is top of my list.

And I've visited Memphis, Chattanooga, Cookeville and Knoxville. The only one I haven't enjoyed was Cookeville, but Tech is still in the discussion because of their CS program. I'd have to say that I liked Chattanooga most, but just barely over Knoxville. Chattanooga had a fun city life, but you could also go rock climbing or kayaking the next morning. You can't do that in Memphis. However, Memphis has the buildings and city life. I really like that. Knoxville seems like a good mix of both.

So I'd like to go to UT, but unless I can find a way to afford it, I'm not going to Knoxville.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:29 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
My youngest is a freshman at ETSU and he is having the time of his life. Perhaps you could take another look at it?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToArsenal47 View Post
I would like to go to UT, but I'm not sure I could afford it.

That leaves room and board, meal plan, books and everything else I'll need. I can chop off some of that with loans, but I doubt my parents will cosign. The rest is work. That's why I'm so iffy about UT, it's cost. Other than the cost, UT is top of my list.

So I'd like to go to UT, but unless I can find a way to afford it, I'm not going to Knoxville.
I have never had to cosign a school loan for either of my kids. I was with my daughter when she signed her promissory note and her signature was all that was required. I've never even seen the paperwork for any of my son's loans. I've heard they are tightening up on student loans, but I think it's still possible to get them without your parents cosigning.

Have you filled out the FAFSA yet? Can you put several schools on your FAFSA application and base your decision on the financial aid packages you are offered? That's what my son did, but he also did the early application to his school choices in the fall of his senior year. If you are a senior I don't know if it's too late in the school year to do that or not.
Also, if there is a private college that you like, don't rule it out because of cost. Sometimes the aid packages they offer can make the cost at a private school comparable to some of the public schools.

UTK should be doable if you're frugal. DS is on his own as far as his college education is concerned (his momma surely has no money to give him!) and he's making it on what the school gives him in his aid package and with working part time.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:22 PM

I'm a HS Junior, so I'm just window shopping right now, so all I have to do is fill out applications for stuff and pray.

I hadn't thought of ETSU that hard before. I've never been to Johnson City. The dealbreaker there is that there's no football team (I'm a HUGE football fan and I've been in a marching band for 6 years), but I might be able to look past that.

And I know I'm going to apply to Lipscomb because they give a lot of aid to students. Who knows?

And I'll look into student loans more to see what I can get. I might get some money off of scholarships but I'd have to be lucky. 30 on the ACT and a 3.4, but I have a lot of extra curriculars.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Tennessee Tech and UTK have the highest graduation rates in the state as well as the highest freshman retention rates, which means not as many students who go to TTU or UTK leave before graduating compared to the rest of the state universities. In the case of UTK I'm sure part of it is because UTK is very much a party school, and going to UTK can be a ton of fun. In the case of Tech it's likely because TTU is not a party school, and students who go there tend to be a bit more serious and academically focused.

If you're looking for a party atmosphere, then it would be hard to beat UTK. Cookeville does offer a lot of outdoor activities but it's not someplace you'd go for hopping nightlife. But back to the outdoor activities, I'm not sure what outdoor activities you can do near Chattanooga that you can't also do near Cookeville. Maybe hanggliding.

Tennessee Tech and the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) were also just recently named among the top 100 best college values in the country by USA Today and the Princeton Review, the only public universities in Tennessee to make the list. (Sewanee also made the list.)

Something else to consider: how far from home do you want to be? If you plan on going home a lot, the long drive from Memphis or Johnson City can get old in a hurry. Chattanooga and Cookeville are both within easy driving distance of Murfreesboro.

Last edited by JMT; 01-30-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee