Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times

Advertisements

I"m wondering, after hearing so many great things about Tenn.,what will really seal it for me is if you can assure me that I will no longer have to hear the car next to me(or passing my house) shaking with the booming base of monster speakers and the incessant anti-social rantings that make up most of the hip hop the kids up hear listen to. Promise me this and I'll start packing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 08:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I"m wondering, after hearing so many great things about Tenn.,what will really seal it for me is if you can assure me that I will no longer have to hear the car next to me(or passing my house) shaking with the booming base of monster speakers and the incessant anti-social rantings that make up most of the hip hop the kids up hear listen to. Promise me this and I'll start packing!
Sorry, NYJoe, but you'll hear that stuff down here too, although probably not as much.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:29 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,960 times
Default What? Say that again . . . I couldn't hear you.

NYJoe,

We spend a lot of time in Cookeville--there's a Lowe's there! Oh, and a few espresso stands! (and a Starbucks)--and because it's a college town, Tennessee Tech, I thought I'd hear that boomin' and bangin' and cursin' quite a lot. But we don't; it's around, but not much that we've heard thus far. We moved from Washington State and that noise you speak of was everywhere--EVERYWHERE!

We always kept the windows up when we drove because of the smells of diesel exhaust, oil smoke, and partially-burned gas. But some of those cars with the mega-speakers and that racket were so loud that I had to turn up the volume on my speakers inside the car to about maximum to even hear Janis Joplin!

Even though we’re in a much better smelling area now, I wouldn’t roll my windows down and play my music so loud that it would disturb others; too bad this generation with the future impaired hearing isn’t taught the concept of consideration for others.

Of course, I have my wife to “guide” me, and that helps keep me focused. I’m not allowed to shop any more and I sit in the car and listen to music and write. She parks a distance away so I don’t disturb anyone with my music, or get upset when I see people parking in the disabled parking spots who get out of their cars and sprint to the store. When she comes out of the store she’s listening for my music and, if she can hear it . . . well, let’s just say that I have found the correct volume setting.

So, come on down NYJoe! When I play In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, I start up the car, roll up my windows, TURN UP THE AIR CONDITIONING, and let ‘er rip—but you won’t hear it!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:00 AM

58 posts, read 290,527 times
LOL this post is soo funny,,,, hip hop is taking over!!

But no seriously Joe, I live in NY and I am from TN.... and the noise does not even COMPARE to NY... go on down... you cna hear a pin drop in most places lol!!!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
I keep my windows rolled up also. Don't want anything to interfere with my Rolling Stones "High Tides and Green Grass CD."

Old 05-29-2007, 10:59 AM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times
I have spent a combined total of 23 days in East TN, and I don't recall hearing that once. I hear it practically every day here in St. Pete, though.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,960 times
Default A Great CD!

Someone in the P&OC forum described to me how to use this quote feature; let's see how it works (I'm somewhat IT-challenged).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I keep my windows rolled up also. Don't want anything to interfere with my Rolling Stones "High Tides and Green Grass CD."
A kindred musical spirit! Get Off of My Cloud at about 120 decibels (INSIDE the car with the windows up, of course!).

Old 05-29-2007, 11:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
I have spent a combined total of 23 days in East TN, and I don't recall hearing that once. I hear it practically every day here in St. Pete, though.
A little off topic but did you end up swimming in the pool while you were here?

Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Joe, We can give NO assurances on the behavior of others. However, I am agreeing that here in Middle Tennessee, you will hear said booming hip-hop/rap music much less frequently than in NY. Come on down to Music City USA! It's not ALL Country either!!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:30 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Thanks for all the positive encouragement. Don't mind hearing someones' music as long as it doesn't vibrate my teeth! This generation will definitely be needing hearing aids before they hit 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: