Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:27 AM

17 posts, read 64,258 times

Advertisements

Hi! We currently live in Western WI, and are considering (more like daydreaming at this point) a move to TN. What I'm most curious about is if anyone can tell me how a lifetime mid-western family will adjust to TN? How huge are the differences in the style of life? Is there anyone here that has lived both places and could offer some insight?

We would like to live in an area where we are in the country, but still somewhat close to a good sized city (like an 1 1/2 hrs or less to a bigger city, and 30 minutes or less to a smaller town for groceries and gas).

It seems the cost of living is a lot less than where we currently are (about an hour north of La Crosse, WI). Looking on realtor.com, housing is a LOT cheaper. Healthcare seems cheaper (but probably is almost anywhere as it is outrageous here) taxes look to be less. Utilities seem to be a lot less. Childcare less. I haven't yet found anything that looks to cost more.

What about jobs? MY husband works for a bridge construction company, he mostly works on railroad bridges. I make wedding cakes from a licensed kitchen in my home part time, to stay home with my three young kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 AM

Another question- how's the weather? Of course it's hotter in the summer and warmer in the winter than WI. What about rain and humidity? Growing season for gardens?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
It'd be best for your husband to check with comparable companies in Tennessee for jobs and wage information. Also, check on the Bureau of Labor Statistics websites for wage information on a state by state basis.

I would think that your at home job would be good no matter where you relocated to. There's always weddings and wedding cakes, altho, one disadvantage you would have is that you would be the 'new kid on the block' and people do tend to stay with established area businesses. You would have to slowly build yours word of mouth and build your reputation, as well as set your prices comparably.

Best advice: don't move until you have a job set up and confirmed.

blessings, Shen

Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 AM

I really don't care if my business comes with me or not. I would need to check into regulations to see if you can even have a licensed kitchen in your home there, I know some states it's almost impossible to do. I was the new kid on the block here at one time as well, and have no problem starting from the ground up again.

Of course we would not move without him having a job in place. We aren't to that stage yet, just kinda looking into things to determine if this is something we want to pursue further.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:32 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
To answer a few of your questions, the weather can be all over the place. Yes, it does get cold, and sometimes as cold as in the single digits, but not at extended periods like it does in WI. Cold weather is typically from late Oct to early March to even April. Summer heat can vary, but typically in the 70-90's with high humidity, sometimes 75-80%.

The cost of housing is cheap(er) but not stellar in comparison. You can buy a fixer-upper for say 130-150k, or you can buy land for far less without a house on it.

The culture, well it depends on where you live in WI. If you live in the sticks in WI, then you'll probably feel almost at home with the exception that nobody ice fishes or rides snowmobiles. That and of course nobody has an accent like WI... so no more "well hi-dere". But... if you live in Ann Arbor or some other city, things will probably seem markedly different for you. TN is not known for being a liberal state unless you stay within cities.

Lastly, I 2nd the idea that you should consult the bls.gov site for comparisons because even though it might be cheaper here, the job might not pay as much, hence you wouldn't be making much of an advancement.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:51 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,965 times
fiveoaksmom, I lived the first 30 years of my life in SE Wisconsin, and have been in east TN since 1983. I think it takes about a year to adjust to such a big move. I go back to WI and visit for a week, at least once a year. They think that I have a southern accent now, which I think is hysterical.

Rain - we are not getting enough this year so far, but normally we have an amount that keeps things lush and green. Our humidity is SO MUCH less here than there, and there are so many fewer mosquitoes. Those are 2 biggies. The tornadoes which are so abundant in southern WI are few and far between here, thankfully!

There are many overly religious people here who may try to impose their rules on you. I am a devout Christian, and it took some time for me to struggle through this and still be true to myself. There are many very normal and healthy people here, kind and thoughtful as the day is long. But they have common sense and wisdom and won't be pushed around by an uppity Yankee (which sometimes is their interpretation when a northerner keeps comparing here and there). Not that you would ... I'm just making a point.

There is absolutely no comparing the taxes between here and there. Wisconsin taxes are OUT OF THIS WORLD - especially property tax and state income tax. You've probably already read on here how low the property taxes are (even though the real estate is not that low) and we have no state income tax. Sales tax is higher though, but that's okay because of the huge difference in property tax.

I think your family should come down for a week's vacation and at least check out a section of the state and see how you like it. We do have the four seasons, but they're each about 3 months long, just like the calendar has it. In winter, I see enough snow to be happy. We rarely, if ever, get above 100 degrees in the summer, and I know you have a couple days like that. Spring and fall are gorgeous seasons here.

Good luck to you ... I have a feeling you'll like Tennessee.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,880,949 times
I agree with Granny, I am from Southeast WI, and taxes are way cheaper, and the weather is much nicer........ I am in NC, and it is getting to be rather pricey in areas and I am ready to hop on over to TN or KY......for something different. Also, it was a little hard at first for me, but it is growing on me.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:07 PM

Thank you everyone! I'm really liking more and more what I'm hearing. We're hoping to take a trip down this fall- we've only ever passed through on our way to Charlotte for a race about 8 years ago, didn't get a chance to really get a feel for anything that time!

There's really no income tax? That's the first I've heard of that, dh will love that! LOL!

GrannyLois, your reply is very encouraging! Thanks so much! Thank you everyone that responded!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoaksmom View Post
There's really no income tax? That's the first I've heard of that, dh will love that! LOL!
No income tax on wages (this is an income tax on non-IRA investment income). We do have a higher than average sales tax.

On most of the lists I've ever seen, Tennessee is usually about the ninth or tenth lowest in total taxes.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,965 times
fiveoaksmom, since you like racing .... the Bristol NASCAR track is 5 miles from my house.

Yep, no state income tax. Only a few states are like that - it's GREAT !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee