Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times

Advertisements

Books, apparently, can kill. Who knew?

My dad says, "What can you possibly reading in two weeks?"

"Reference books," I replied.

Some bird books, too, alleycat. How the heck do you think I can identify these birds without you?

Oh, right. Fred Thompson.

Go Thompson! Go Tennessee!

(Do you think MBMouse is buying any of this?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,405 times
Default I like his movies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Don't even get me started on Reagan, my political Achilles heel.
I voted for Reagan. I don’t know why exactly. I was one of those people who drive me crazy now; the ones who base decisions on sound bites and photo ops. At the time I was a young father trying to raise a family and build a career—working 60-70 hours per week at times. So, I guess I should cut some of these latter day voters some slack.

The thing I can remember vividly that I did NOT like about the Reagan years was the tinkle-down economic policy.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
That's okay. I voted for Jimmy Carter the first time.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:43 PM

I was too young to vote for Jimmy Carter.

Reagan...I was fresh out of high school, no money to get into college and I hit a full-blown recession.

I had friends that he was affecting in a horrible way, but he waved that flag and they thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Ketchup as a vegetable. I will never forget that. Linda Ellerbee on the late night news showing people in lines at the soup kitchens.

Reagan's legacy was that he was so scary-senile that the Russians were terrified of him.

He yelled, "Tear down this wall!" and the Russians thought "Star Wars" was going to kill them. Dummies. It was a frickin' MOVIE. And he was an actor, and not a very good one.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Watch it, hik. I'll start quoting Clinton. "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is . . . "

(I'm just teasing!)

I think Jimmy Carter's election was the first time I got to vote in a presidential race. I haven't cared enough to even vote in the last two or three.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Watch it, hik. I'll start quoting Clinton. "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is . . . "

(I'm just teasing!)

I think Jimmy Carter's election was the first time I got to vote in a presidential race. I haven't cared enough to even vote in the last two or three.
Blasphemy. Vote, even if you cancel mine out!

I just missed Carter's.

Jimmy, the laughingstock, turned out to not be that bad.

Better than Reagan.

Do you remember H. W.'s inauguration? Nancy had a clamp on Ronnie and looked terrified. That's when I knew that it was more than rumor. Something was very wrong.

Still, when he died, I sent Nancy a condolence card. No one should die that way. Nancy was a rotten mother, but she loved Ronnie and it was heartbreaking.

I know, I'm a pushover.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,405 times
Default Law and Order; what a franchise!

Quote:
They can get political and Nielsen ratings!
LauraC started a thread about this topic in the P&OC forum. She queried about what might be considered unfair campaigning if Fred's camp misused his notoriety and whether or not showings of Law and Order might cause problems. I saw her post somewhere as I was looking at older threads.

I don't know what happened to the thread. There are some highly intelligent people posting there, but I think maybe they're not up to her level.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:03 PM

If I remember correctly, when Reagan was campaigning they wouldn't let the networks show old Reagan movies.

Months without Bedtime for Bonzo! Unfair.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:04 PM

No one is better than our Laura C!

Are you trying to get us to go over there, Happy Yappy?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Blasphemy. Vote, even if you cancel mine out!
Sorry, I'm one of those weird people who think that sometimes that's the best choice. I wasn't going to vote for either Kerry or Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee