Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:18 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,682,280 times

Advertisements

It seems that many people are moving from other states to retire in Tennessee. Why is this happening? I think the lower cost of living in Tennessee is a major factor. Many people must find a place where they can survive on their fixed retirement income. The cost of living in the place where I currently live is about 29% higher than the national average. According to Sperlings Best Places, the cost of living in Cookeville, Tennessee is a little more than 22% lower than the national average. If I retire in Cookeville, my cost of living will be reduced by 51%. Imagine that! It's no wonder why so many people want to retire in your beautiful state, but that is definitely not the only reason why I want to retire to Tennessee. I want to experience everything Tennessee has to offer such as four distinct seasons, a slower paced lifestyle, friendly people, neighbors who care about each other, the history of Tennessee, the green rolling hills and mountains, the lakes, rivers, and streams, and that southern hospitality. I want to spend my retirement years in a less populated state where I can build a home without having my neighbor's house only 8 feet from mine. I need room to "spread my wings."

I would hope that people considering a move there will spend some time in Tennessee before moving as I will do, especially those who are not originally from the south. Otherwise, they may be in for a culture shock. Can you imagine a native of San Francisco or Los Angeles who has never lived outside of California and is now moving to Tennessee? I don't think they would be happy as they would experience so much change that they might feel they were in a foreign country. (My daughters would feel that way.) I once worked with someone who moved from California to Dallas, Texas. Talk about culture shock!! Within 6 months, they were back in California. I'm originally from the deep south, (central Louisiana) so I will not experiene this culture shock. I love the southern way of life. In fact, I'm anxiously looking forward to the changes my wife and I will experience in our lives when we retire in Tennessee.

Our trip to Tennessee is only 2 months away! My wife and I will be visiting the Cookeville, Crossville, Sparta, and Monterey areas. If time allows, we'll also visit the Kingston and Maryville areas. We'll be looking around and talking to people. If we find an area that we like, we may purchase some property on which we will build our retirement home. I am so anxious! I can't wait! I pray that my dream to retire in Tennessee will come true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM

240 posts, read 1,152,675 times
I just came back from Cookeville area. I am building a house in Spencer Tn and stay in Cookeville. That is such a great area with lots to do. Sparta is just down the road and also a cool little town. I think you and your wife are making a great move and you will love the area.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:01 PM

764 posts, read 1,452,841 times
Default And, yes, a Starbucks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I am so anxious! I can't wait!
Well, hurry it up then! Maybe you can help me figure out what these people are smiling about all the time!

I don't know how many times UPS and DHL have delivered to us, but they still call me sir and my wife ma'am with smiles on their faces (now, I CAN understand why they'd smile at my wife and be polite with her).

Did I mention there's a Lowe's in Cookeville? I think they're going to give us our own parking space. And did I mention there are several espresso stands in Cookeville?

Time's-a-wastin'!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Well, hurry it up then! Maybe you can help me figure out what these people are smiling about all the time!

I don't know how many times UPS and DHL have delivered to us, but they still call me sir and my wife ma'am with smiles on their faces (now, I CAN understand why they'd smile at my wife and be polite with her).

Did I mention there's a Lowe's in Cookeville? I think they're going to give us our own parking space. And did I mention there are several espresso stands in Cookeville?

Time's-a-wastin'!
Hi Happyappy,

I enjoy reading your posts and especially your sense of humor. We'll be checking out the Monterey area as well when we visit in August. That humidity everyone has been talking about doesn't scare me! Thanks for your post.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:21 PM

764 posts, read 1,452,841 times
Default Is that steam coming from the asphalt?

Quote:
That humidity everyone has been talking about doesn't scare me!
As I wrote in another thread, I SCOFF at such climate conditions! If you're going to be here in August, you can scoff at them, too.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcomm0 View Post
I just came back from Cookeville area. I am building a house in Spencer Tn and stay in Cookeville. That is such a great area with lots to do. Sparta is just down the road and also a cool little town. I think you and your wife are making a great move and you will love the area.
Hi brcomm0,

Thanks for your post. I see that Spencer is a little south of Sparta. I've been making good use of Mapquest to find all these places. What can you tell me about the Spencer area? Is acreage available? We're looking for 2 to 5 acres of land. How long does it take to drive from Spencer to Cookeville?

Old 06-03-2007, 08:43 PM

240 posts, read 1,152,675 times
I think there is land for sale right off of hwy 111 next to Fall Creek Falls. Our home is in Hawks Bluff, I don't know how much property they have there.
There is alot going on in the area right now. It takes about 35 mins to get to Cookeville from Spencer. Not a bad drive all highway, which makes it a good route. If you play golf I heard someone is putting in a golf course in the area also and building homes. I like quite areas.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM

518 posts, read 2,219,142 times
Quote:
My wife and I will be visiting the Cookeville, Crossville, Sparta, and Monterey areas. If time allows, we'll also visit the Kingston and Maryville areas. We'll be looking around and talking to people. If we find an area that we like, we may purchase some property on which we will build our retirement home.
Passing this along for what it's worth: I spoke today with a friend of mine from work who recently took a buyout and has retired to Greeneville, Tenn. He can't say enough good things about the area. It's just the right size for him, with easy access to Knoxville, the Tri-Cities and Asheville. And he says the job market is pretty good if you're not quite ready for "full-time" retirement.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:50 PM

42 posts, read 248,541 times
Quote:
It seems that many people are moving from other states to retire in Tennessee. Why is this happening? I think the lower cost of living in Tennessee is a major factor. Many people must find a place where they can survive on their fixed retirement income. The cost of living in the place where I currently live is about 29% higher than the national average. According to Sperlings Best Places, the cost of living in Cookeville, Tennessee is a little more than 22% lower than the national average. If I retire in Cookeville, my cost of living will be reduced by 51%. Imagine that! It's no wonder why so many people want to retire in your beautiful state, but that is definitely not the only reason why I want to retire to Tennessee. I want to experience everything Tennessee has to offer such as four distinct seasons, a slower paced lifestyle, friendly people, neighbors who care about each other, the history of Tennessee, the green rolling hills and mountains, the lakes, rivers, and streams, and that southern hospitality. I want to spend my retirement years in a less populated state where I can build a home without having my neighbor's house only 8 feet from mine. I need room to "spread my wings."

I would hope that people considering a move there will spend some time in Tennessee before moving as I will do, especially those who are not originally from the south. Otherwise, they may be in for a culture shock. Can you imagine a native of San Francisco or Los Angeles who has never lived outside of California and is now moving to Tennessee? I don't think they would be happy as they would experience so much change that they might feel they were in a foreign country. (My daughters would feel that way.) I once worked with someone who moved from California to Dallas, Texas. Talk about culture shock!! Within 6 months, they were back in California. I'm originally from the deep south, (central Louisiana) so I will not experiene this culture shock. I love the southern way of life. In fact, I'm anxiously looking forward to the changes my wife and I will experience in our lives when we retire in Tennessee.

Our trip to Tennessee is only 2 months away! My wife and I will be visiting the Cookeville, Crossville, Sparta, and Monterey areas. If time allows, we'll also visit the Kingston and Maryville areas. We'll be looking around and talking to people. If we find an area that we like, we may purchase some property on which we will build our retirement home. I am so anxious! I can't wait! I pray that my dream to retire in Tennessee will come true.
Yes, it's a culture shock. I moved here from SoCal in 95' with my parents when I was 11..to a place called Lebanon, TN. Luckily, we moved to Nashville shortly after..it's a bit bigger. I've never really adjusted here and I don't like the weather, among other things...but I've been living in different places over the years. I did some of my schooling in Cal and I just graduated from university in Canada, so I had 5yrs there. Anyway, I don't know why people claim there are so many Californians here. I've probably met 2 since I've lived here.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:09 PM

51 posts, read 300,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormur View Post
Yes, it's a culture shock. I moved here from SoCal in 95' with my parents when I was 11..to a place called Lebanon, TN. Luckily, we moved to Nashville shortly after..it's a bit bigger.
yeah, Nashville is just a bit bigger than Lebanon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee