Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 PM

111 posts, read 375,019 times

Advertisements

It can get so hot & humid here that Satan goes home to cool off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 11:21 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARYNJANET View Post
Had a friend tell me today, who was raised in Conneticut, that the humidity there was absolutely terrible. He said he was always wet, could never get dry! He hated it. He said it would be 90 degrees with 95% humidity. How does the humidity in TN compare to Conneticut? Anyone know?
I don't know about Conneticut but Florida is terribly humid (sometimes 100%) and I normally stay inside the entire summer, coming out only to get groceries and let the dog tinkle. But my recent trip to Maryville, Walland and Townsend was very enjoyable. I timed my trip for the summer, to prove to myself that I could live in East TN and enjoy the outdoors. I stayed outside most of the day and didn't go back inside until I got chilly sitting on the porch at night. I even went on a hike in the heat of the day and didn't feel like I was going to pass out! I am so moving to TN!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:11 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
I don't know about Conneticut but Florida is terribly humid (sometimes 100%) and I normally stay inside the entire summer, coming out only to get groceries and let the dog tinkle. But my recent trip to Maryville, Walland and Townsend was very enjoyable. I timed my trip for the summer, to prove to myself that I could live in East TN and enjoy the outdoors. I stayed outside most of the day and didn't go back inside until I got chilly sitting on the porch at night. I even went on a hike in the heat of the day and didn't feel like I was going to pass out! I am so moving to TN!
I love reading about your experiences in Tennessee! And I feel exactly the same way. It will get more humid later in the summer (the "dog days" of summer) but compared to Florida, East Tennessee's heat is definitely tolerable. And as you pointed out, it cools down at night! What a concept!

I ask my parents how they managed to grow up in Florida in the pre-air conditioned days. They said they just didn't do much physical activity in the summers, stayed indoors under the ceiling fans, drank lots of water, and those who could afford it headed up to the Smoky Mountains!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 AM

22 posts, read 60,918 times
I was in Nashville this past weekend and the temperature was 90 degrees. Having lived in the Detroit area all my life I can say it was definitely warm and was more bearable than Detroit at 85 degrees. I had to stand in line outside for my airline ticket back to Detroit and, even with a suit on, I wasn't sweating-hot but not unbearable. People often talk about, "dry heat" and I now I can appreciate the difference.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
It is dry heat now, but it will eventually get really humid.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,458 times
Default What to do, what to do?

I've been following neighbors' advice and doing outside work at a much slower pace than I'm used to; they say rapid, strenuous movement can cause physical problems if one isn't used to such activity in this heat and humidity. So I’ve changed to a more laid-back pace.

However, I’ve been trying to put in a bunch of metal T-posts, and raising and lowering the post hammer slowly . . . . . . Well, it ain’t working out so good.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
To me the heat/humidity here is just as bad as SW Florida.

I'm looking forward to the end of September. :-)

Old 06-18-2007, 08:25 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
To me the heat/humidity here is just as bad as SW Florida.

I'm looking forward to the end of September. :-)
Where in TN do you live? I really find it hard to believe that it'd be worse than SW Florida.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:31 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I lived in swFlorida, and find it much cooler here.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 AM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times
The heat and humidity started early here in Misery....YUCK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee