Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,312 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to TN mostly considering the eastern tn area. I am an RN and have been seeking out jobs from the local hospitals. I am interested in outpatient surgery centers or procedure work. My background is cardiac critical care and currently I am a Radiology Nurse, Preop/Pauc Nurse for outpatient center in a hospital. I haven't seen much in these areas. I will be looking to renta house 3BR/2 Bath. The other problem I am seeing is job opportunities for my husband. He is retired military and does not what to be "someone secretary anymore". So he has worked warehouse/purchaser/inventory manager and currently is a CDL A truck driver over the road home only on the weekends if he can which sucks after years of putting with that lifestyle while in the military. We both would like to see him in a position that he is home every evening.

Can anyone give insight as to his experience set for employment. I have looked at the various newspaper classified ads and careerbuilder for cities---Oak Ridge, Lenior City, the Tri city area. He has fell in love with Athens. But I don't find much career opportunity for either of us there. I suggested Cleveland but he says he doesn't care for it as much. Since all I know of TN is Nashville and I was not impressed, I can not make argument on these other area cities.
Need to know about taxes--sales, property, vechicle, etc. I have looked at the various city chamber of commence and have send for info from same but have not rec'd anything as yet.

I found this forum and have been impressed by the honesty of info. We made a move to NC to care for my ill parents but could not get jobs and nearly lost everything we had worked for.So it is important that this move does not turn out to put us in the poor house! Our last child just graduated from high school and will start at the community college. Therefore, we are on a 1 yr out look. My son has not decided if he is going w/ us to TN. I think he will when he finds how hard it is to pay all the bills and go to college too.

Any info you may think would be helpful would very much be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM

35 posts, read 166,219 times
I don't know if you guys have considered Chattanooga or if you are looking for a smaller town, but if not, there seems to be ample nursing positions in the Chattanooga area, and as far as your husband, Chattanooga is a huge distribution area with several trucking headquarters actually located in the city.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:29 PM

97 posts, read 395,845 times
Candie
If you find anything good let me know. I'm also an RN working in Florida at inpatient hospice unit. My husband is retired off fire dept from Ct,so he has trouble finding something that holds his interest. I'm in the Daytona area now. Looking at Mt. Juliet area, east of Nashville I think. I've been reading on here that hospitals along the west side of Nashville are better, I think it's Vanderbuilt, St. Thomas etc. Not sure I have those names right. The home owners, taxes, wages, hurricanes etc. are pushing us out of here. We have to sell a house first which could be trouble now in Florida. I reallly hoping that TN is the answer for a more peaceful life. My son is also looking to go to a community college, which they have one right around Mt. Juliet in Hermitage I think it is called Volunteer Community College, maybe your son could look at that. Hope you find something and are happy with your new home. Good luck in the job hunt, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
If you are both interested in the Tri-Cities area, we have two GREAT hospitals here that are run by two organizations: Mountain States Health Alliance and Welmont Health Systems. You can find these both on the Internet and they are offering great pay, hours and sign on bonuses. There is also many different opportunities for your husbands. Many jobs in this area are hired through employment agencies, you could call/ contact any of them to see if they have jobs available that would interest the men.
As for colleges, we have ETSU, North East State, Kings college, Tuscullum, and branches of Walters State and UT in the Tri-Cities areas.
Average rent for a descent 3 bedroom house is about $700 a month (some higher, some lower)
Hope that helps

Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,667 times
chattanooga was recently rate high for logistics companies by a trade magazine.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM

28 posts, read 91,523 times
Volunteer State Community is in Gallatin not Mt. Juliet area.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 9,489 times
Default I'm thinking Johnson City.

I lived in Florida for 13 years and I know exactly what it's like, especially since it was South Florida. Anyway, Johnson City (one of the tri-cities) is where I live now, and it is a main medical base especially in the east TN area. We have JCMC (Johnson City Medical Center) and it absolutely wonderful. It's beautiful out here, there are great people and things to do...I'm not upset at all that I'm here although sometimes every now and then depending on how long youve lived here it can get a little boring especially for someone like me whos from a big city.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
Look at Cookeville, Avery Express headquarters is in Cookeville. Plus a huge hospital.......

Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Look at Cookeville, Avery Express headquarters is in Cookeville. Plus a huge hospital.......
And the hospital keeps getting bigger! It's undergoing a mammoth construction project that will double its size.

The huge trucking company based in Cookeville is Averitt Express, not Avery. Just FYI.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:29 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
Ops! You are correct....JMT...Averitt Express must be old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee