U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 PM

99 posts, read 222,203 times

Advertisements

We are going to look around some for a few days. We are looking on the computer about Clarksville, Cookeville and Kings Port. We have never been to the area but have tried to do what we can on the net to find out about these towns. We have 3 kids, 1 going into HS one in Jr High and one in 1st grade. Our Jr High son lives and breathes football and plays well. My HS son wants to do some type of drawing( civil I think it is today ). My wife has mainly worked factory (doesn't want anymore), retail(currently in Management @ convenience store) and CNA. I would like to move our printing company where we relocate.
I am at home in the board room, on the bass boat, and in the woods just taking it easy. My wife likes to have a town easy to get around, parks and would rather not have to use in interstate to get around. We live a simple life and could be off-grid in the woods if not for school things all the time with the kids. We would really like to have a Jr ROTC @ the town to would land in. We would rather buy or goods and services from a mom and pop locally owned shop than a big box store, rather go out to eat the same way most times.
We are originally from Iowa, would we fit in ok with our (from the North accent)? How about folks doing business with me, will that work itself out? What about allergies? What do we really need to see on our trip? Other towns we should look at or avoid for some reason? We would like to rent and keep under 825 per month with a garage. We need to have a nice lake close. How about a view or at least some hills. It is flat here so mountains or hills would be great.
If you would rather direct message me or post that would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,442,972 times
I can only speak of Kingsport personally, only visited Cookeville and driven through Clarksville, but sounds like Kingsport could fit your bill. The city schools are some of the best in the state and a fantastic football team. There have been many new business in downtown Kingsport that are run by re-locatees and haven't had any issues, they are welcomed. Many parks close such as: Bay's Mountain Park and planetarium (great day for only $3 a car load! Animal preservation that is like a zoo and 480 acres of trails and a lake at the top of the mountain) Warriors Path State Park: Lake, playground, boats, fishing Frisbee golf and more. There is also the Green Belt that is a great walking trail through the city. A great revitalizing downtown that is very community orientated with events such as free concerts in the street every Thursday and Friday evenings, Art's crawls, Renaissance Center and more.
Allergies might be an issue though, check out the stats, some people have issues here due to Eastman Chemical, some do not. Some have issues with tree polin...but that kind comes with being in the foothills of the Smokies...LOTS of trees. Beautiful long range views and woodsy areas too.
I think you could find a rental in your budget with a garage too.
Just do a general search for Kingsport and there is a whole lot of info out there. You could also check out the Tri-Cities sub forum here on City-Data also, lots of good info there about the whole region.
Hope that helps some.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 PM

13,149 posts, read 37,688,870 times
I would definitely look in to Cookeville. It's the smallest of the three towns you mentioned but even at 30,000 it has pretty much everything the larger towns have. It's the only town of those three with a high school that has the International Baccalaureate Program. It also has a very active JROTC. The school system (Putnam County) is one of the highest rated in the state. And because its high schools are open enrollment, you can live anywhere in the county, even way out in the beautiful countryside, and send your kids to Cookeville High School. Conversely, you can live smack in the middle of town and send your kids to one of the smaller, more rural high schools if you choose and if that's what's best for your kids.

And because Cookeville High School is one of the largest in the state, it routinely has excellent athletic programs as well as outstanding academics. This past year and this coming year the state high school football championships were played in Cookeville.

Cookeville has several large lakes nearby as well as beautiful waterfalls, including Fall Creek Falls, Tennessee's most popular state park and home to the highest waterfall east of the Rockies. The town has a children's museum, two symphonies, children's theater, a train museum, a children's library, an indoor skateboard park, and a very active YMCA which offers a host of family activities.

And because it's a college town (Tennessee Tech--NOT a party school) it has a lot more locally-owned restaurants and shops than most other towns its size.

Another reason Cookeville is my personal preference: it's about an hour from the Nashville airport which has--by far--the cheapest air fares in Tennessee because it's a hub for Southwest Airlines (the only airport in Tennessee with Southwest). That may not be a big deal to you, but if you have guests flying in for a visit, they might appreciate it.

Here are some pics I've found of the Cookeville area.

Burgess Falls

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/3...18fd7c203e.jpg

Fancher Falls

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2350/...b69a143613.jpg

Middle Falls

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3332/...02f8f2b9c4.jpg

Nature trail at Cookeville City Lake Park

Waterloo Falls

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/22...04db70.jpg?v=0

Center Hill Lake

Cordell Hull Lake

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/93/22...9537ae129c.jpg

Cookeville High School

Downtown Cookeville

Tennessee Tech University

Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 PM

Cookeville has the best chamber of commerce site(Upper Cumberland area) site I have ever visited. The business leaders of that community are excellent stewards of the community. We just had some concerns about a job for my wife and how well businesses in general are doing in an area of that size. What is the cost comparison of each of the towns I mentioned as far as housing, rent and own?
I think we are just going to have time for a highlight reel or sorts this trip and maybe I could get us back to look at the area another time before school is out. We have open enrollment here but they don't let you just pick the school you want. School board will review your request and that doesn't go any further normally I don't think. That would really help us as we want to rent first unless the right deal would just click. We have been concerned that renting and them wanting to buy we might move out of that schools zone. I think I understand you are saying that doesn't matter .

Old 03-18-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer56 View Post
Cookeville has the best chamber of commerce site(Upper Cumberland area) site I have ever visited. The business leaders of that community are excellent stewards of the community. We just had some concerns about a job for my wife and how well businesses in general are doing in an area of that size. What is the cost comparison of each of the towns I mentioned as far as housing, rent and own?
I think we are just going to have time for a highlight reel or sorts this trip and maybe I could get us back to look at the area another time before school is out. We have open enrollment here but they don't let you just pick the school you want. School board will review your request and that doesn't go any further normally I don't think. That would really help us as we want to rent first unless the right deal would just click. We have been concerned that renting and them wanting to buy we might move out of that schools zone. I think I understand you are saying that doesn't matter .
Right, Putnam County has open enrollment for its 3 high schools, no questions asked. The same can't be said for its elementary schools where they're trying to inflict forced zoning. So far the community is very sharply divided on that issue, the school board is having a big pow-wow tonight to get public input.

Anyway, Clarksville would undoubtedly offer the best job opportunities. Not only is it the largest of the 3 cities (over 100,000 people) but it also has the lowest unemployment rate, although not by much. Here are the unemployment rates for those 3 areas:

Montgomery County (Clarksville) 9.8 percent
Putnam County (Cookeville) 10.3 percent
Sullivan County (Kingsport) 10.3 percent

I would imagine that being home to a big military base, Clarksville probably has more convenience stores in case your wife wants to continue with that. Clarksville also has a huge billion-dollar semiconductor plant under construction.

As far as factory jobs, those are disappearing in Tennessee like everywhere else. Cookeville does have some stability, however, being home to Oreck vacuum cleaners which vows it will never make its products outside of the US. Otherwise, Cookeville is a very white-collar town. The largest employment sectors are government workers (mainly at the university), health care employees, and retail.

Kingsport also has quite a few manufacturing jobs, being home to the massive Eastman chemical company (the town was built around a gigantic chemical factory).

You mentioned the Cookeville chamber's web site. Ironically, the former head of Clarksville's chamber of commerce is now head of Cookeville's chamber of commerce (he's the one who appears on the chamber's home page welcoming people to the Tennessee Highlands).

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 PM

Looks like rain Sunday. Thought if I got to Kingsport I might be able to get into Bristol . Wanted to go there for years and watch the race. I think based of time we might only be able to go to Clarksville and Cookeville. With open enrollment I wonder how they keep from one HS being a power football team, or maybe they don't,ha. We have made alot of calls for different things in these two areas and have visited with the nicest folks.
I want to go take some pictures of Burgess Falls what else do we not want to miss. Where is the best place to find out about rentals or leasing agents in these areas? Anyone have any personal experience with the JROTC programs in either area?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer56 View Post
Looks like rain Sunday. Thought if I got to Kingsport I might be able to get into Bristol . Wanted to go there for years and watch the race. I think based of time we might only be able to go to Clarksville and Cookeville. With open enrollment I wonder how they keep from one HS being a power football team, or maybe they don't,ha. We have made alot of calls for different things in these two areas and have visited with the nicest folks.
I want to go take some pictures of Burgess Falls what else do we not want to miss. Where is the best place to find out about rentals or leasing agents in these areas? Anyone have any personal experience with the JROTC programs in either area?
You might want to post your questions about Cookeville in the Cookeville forum. Some of those who could answer your questions might not know about your thread here.

As far as football in Putnam County, it all seems to work out. Cookeville HS has about 2300 students so is a 6A school (highest football classification). Upperman HS is 3A, Monterey HS is 1A. Some kids like being part of a large school with a large athletic program, others are happier being in a smaller program. I don't know that there's any "recruiting" going on to have some of the higher profile players come to CHS, but there might be.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:30 PM

Had a great time in Tn. Just wanted to thank you all here for your input and I'm going to start a new post in the Cookeville forum.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 PM

179 posts, read 429,753 times
Wordy has a daughter in the JROTC program at CHS - she should chime in here! Oh Wordy....

Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 PM

147 posts, read 619,515 times
Clarksville has Ft Campbell right there, along with the accompanying bars, "gentlemen's clubs", hock shops. I live within 60 miles of Clarksville and drive through there in my truck {18 wheeler} regularly in the wee small hours. Its not a pretty sight sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee