Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:10 PM

68 posts, read 251,219 times

Advertisements

I am retired from General Motors in Michigan . We were able to transfer the Blue cross from Michigan to the Florida Blue Cross with no problems . Great package , as we only pay $21.00 a month . Hopefully it will be as easy to transfer to Tennessee B/C , when we get here .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michgoner View Post
I am retired from General Motors in Michigan . We were able to transfer the Blue cross from Michigan to the Florida Blue Cross with no problems . Great package , as we only pay $21.00 a month . Hopefully it will be as easy to transfer to Tennessee B/C , when we get here .
great retirement package! I'm sure your GM policy will convert to BCBS TN without incident.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 PM

240 posts, read 1,155,865 times
What does Insurance cost on 200000 dollar home in Eastern Tenn. Also is there coverage if you rent out the home. What kind of policies should I be looking for?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
it's great that you ladies have good benefits through your employers. Danielle...Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida is a different company than Blue Cross of Tennessee.

i recommend you or your spouse talk with the HR department of the employer (you did imply your husband will be working for the same company up in TN, right?) They should be able to help, and provide info on this kind of thing.

If an employer has a unified plan for all state locations, it usually is based on their HQ location. For example, my wife's company here in FL provided medical coverage by Blue Cross/Anthem based out of Virginia because that's where they're headquartered. Your employer may have a Blue Cross plan from FL, or from another state. Blue Cross is not a national company. Each one in every state is a separate company.

Is it a big employer? If not, they may not have an HR department and you may need to find out who the agent is that services the account.

Employee benefits can seem complex, and it's difficult for me to fully comment without more info, but I hope that was a little bit helpful.

Well he won't be working for the same company as it's a FL based auto dealership he works for but I was just trying to get some round about figures as to what different companies in TN are offering for medical benefits. Seems like alot of the companies in FL are really cutting back on what they want to pay for benefits and it's falling on our shoulders if we want to pay the price. We have no choice but to pay it with my daughters medical expenses. Thanks for the info though.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
I"m getting my non-resident license for TN very soon, and will be swapping my FL resident insurance license once we relocate. For the first few weeks I plan to submerse myself in the market learning everything about all the TN carriers.

Be happy to fully assist at that time, or just keep dispensing free advice on the forum
Then you'll be able to fill me in on the HMO carriers based in the state, as well as which ones carry a Medicaid HMO (my field).

blessings, Shen

Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
Health insurance premiums in South Florida are very high. It's not uncommon for the total amount to cover a family costing upwards of $14,000 annually. Employers are combatting these rising costs by offering "consumer-driven" plans such as HSA & HRA compatible plans.

Soon I'll be shopping for a group plan for my company. Be glad to share the results if anyones interested...

Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Danielle - I too am grateful for the insurance for my children. My daughter from 2000 to 2005 received daily growth hormone injections which cost by 2005 $175 per day, not including supplies. With the insurance, we paid $30 a month. I now pay $600 a month for a family of 4. It was $800 a month, but I was able to make some changes and get it down some. Blessings to you for your struggles. I sure understand them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Wow that's great. Our insurance is great, it covers quite a bit 100% but it's just expensive to have it. My daughters monthly medication for one RX is now up to $3005 and we've only been paying $50 for the last 5 years she's been on it. Thank goodness my husbands work picked up our $2500 deductible for us even though it's gone with just 1 prescription already.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Danielle - I too am grateful for the insurance for my children. My daughter from 2000 to 2005 received daily growth hormone injections which cost by 2005 $175 per day, not including supplies. With the insurance, we paid $30 a month. I now pay $600 a month for a family of 4. It was $800 a month, but I was able to make some changes and get it down some. Blessings to you for your struggles. I sure understand them.

That's the same medication my daugther has been on for 6 years - Growth Hormone injections. It's so expensive at $3005 a month now. each little increase in dose goes up $200 a month or so. I see news stories of how parents are giving children these injections not for medical reasons but just so they can be taller. I often wonder if their insurance pays for this or do the parents. She's only got a couple years if that to go as the injections are not responding quite as fast as they were meaning she's almost as tall as she's going to get. It's nice to know someone else knows what it's like.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:57 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Sounds like our children have similar challenges. My daughter is visually impaired and falls under the autism umbrella. The price of the shots were $100 a day when we first started in 2000. It sells on the black market, I have heard, because it is also some sort of help to athletes. My daughter's physician told me the same thing you've said here--that some parents come to him just to get their children to grow taller with no medical necessity for the injections at all. He said it's hard to convince the parents not to do that because there is a risk. It's all in the appearance. In my daughter's case, it was a medical necessity so she would grow to a relatively normal human height. I've got to get my little to the doctor again because, to my surprise, he told me to bring her back occasionally so he can determine if she will need the injections in an extremely small dose for the rest of her life to prevent osteoporosis.

Finally, I don't know about you, but the first time I held that syringe above that little arm, I had a REAL hard time following through. I was taught to inject her without the use of a spring loaded injection pen. It sure was a lot easier with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
That's the same medication my daugther has been on for 6 years - Growth Hormone injections. It's so expensive at $3005 a month now. each little increase in dose goes up $200 a month or so. I see news stories of how parents are giving children these injections not for medical reasons but just so they can be taller. I often wonder if their insurance pays for this or do the parents. She's only got a couple years if that to go as the injections are not responding quite as fast as they were meaning she's almost as tall as she's going to get. It's nice to know someone else knows what it's like.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Sounds like our children have similar challenges. My daughter is visually impaired and falls under the autism umbrella. The price of the shots were $100 a day when we first started in 2000. It sells on the black market, I have heard, because it is also some sort of help to athletes. My daughter's physician told me the same thing you've said here--that some parents come to him just to get their children to grow taller with no medical necessity for the injections at all. He said it's hard to convince the parents not to do that because there is a risk. It's all in the appearance. In my daughter's case, it was a medical necessity so she would grow to a relatively normal human height. I've got to get my little to the doctor again because, to my surprise, he told me to bring her back occasionally so he can determine if she will need the injections in an extremely small dose for the rest of her life to prevent osteoporosis.

Finally, I don't know about you, but the first time I held that syringe above that little arm, I had a REAL hard time following through. I was taught to inject her without the use of a spring loaded injection pen. It sure was a lot easier with those.
Well we started using the spring loaded pen when she was getting SSI and Medicaid. She's totally blind since birth but once i got married, all her benefits stopped and we had to rely on BCBS who wouldn't pay for the spring injected pen and i had to resort to the regular syringes. Thankfully i went to school to be a medical assistant so i was already used to giving injections and drawing blood to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee