Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,734 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to move to Tennessee, to a small, quiet community.
Things I'm looking for:
-Population under 1000
-Either a body of water or mountains nearby
-Has basic necessities like drug store, supermarket, etc. and a library

Please let me know if you know of any towns like this! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:56 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,898 times
It's going to be really hard to find any town under 1000 that would have those basics. You might be able to find one that is close to a bigger city that does have those things. Our town has less than 1000 and it has a library(but not much of one). But we are very close to a bigger towns that have a lot more.

I could be wrong but I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Last edited by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010; 04-04-2010 at 06:26 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 06:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
under 1000 is REALLY small. Are you sure you can't relocate to a town of 15-30k and just live out in the country a bit? That's how I was raised, and I guarantee you it's as country as country gets.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Yeah that's going to be a tough call.

But check out Gainesboro. Its population is 845. But it's the county seat of Jackson County so it's got a couple of small grocery stores and a small public library. It even has a Dairy Queen. Jackson County is very remote and very, very hilly (lots of small mountains). And there's a large lake there: Cordell Hull Lake, named after the Father of the United Nations who was originally from the area.

Jackson County Chamber of Commerce:
Gainesboro-Jackson County Chamber of Commerce Home Page

Jackson County Library:
Tennessee Department of State: Tennessee State Library and Archives (http://www.tennessee.gov/tsla/pld/library.jsp?Region=Upper_Cumberland&City=&Name=&Co unty=Jackson - broken link)

Cordell Hull Lake:
Cordell Hull Lake

Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM

510 posts, read 1,387,537 times
I agree with what others say concerning in the problems with finding the amenities listed in a town of less than 1000 population. There are couple of towns up here that I am familiar with that might be close enough to your criterion to warrant consideration.

First is Mountain City, Tn (37683). It has a population of about 2,500 in a very low density county (only true "town" in the county). It is in a beautiful valley right in the mountains very close to the TN, VA, and NC corner. One of the cleanest and deepest TVA reservoirs, Watauga Lake, is partially in this county (Johnson) just west of the town. It has two supermarkets, at least two drug stores, and a very nice library (part of a regional system).

Just 14 miles north of Mountain city, Tn is Damascus, VA (24236). Damascus Has a population of 1,070 according to City-Data. It has one supermarket and I think there is a pharmacy in town. I don't have knowledge of a of a library located there. Damascus is only 10 miles from a much larger town of Abingdon, VA which has many services. Just west of the town is another TVA reservoir, Holston Lake. Damascus is also right in the mountains at the edge of the Mount Rogers National Recreation area. It is also called Trail Town, USA since the Appalachian Trail and Virginia Creeper (multi-use) Trail go right through the center of town.

Just as a matter of interest- right between these two small towns on TN-91 is the village of Laurel Bloomery, TN (37680) with a scattered population of around 500. There is a small store which also contains the "post office". The somewhat unusual name comes from the early (late 1700's) iron industry which used a type of forge called a "bloomery", and the surrounding mountains are covered with Laurel thickets which have very fragrant blooms in early summer.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:16 AM

363 posts, read 583,219 times
You might consider Wartburg, TN.

Wartburg has 2 grocerys stores; a Sav-a-lot and a mom and pop place called Darnell's. Sav-a-lot is cheaper though not many brand names. Darnell's is pricey but carries brand names. There's also a Hammer's store (clothing, shoes, odd and ends) several gas stations, hardware stores, Sonic, Hardees, drug stores, all volunteer fire and rescue, Advanced Auto, Napa, for your car repairs. There's also a Ford dealership.

Wartburg has a very small library, Frozenhead State Park and the Obed River are nearby. Knoxville is about an hour's drive southeast and Nashville is about 3 hours west. Oak Ridge is about 25 miles southeast, which has all your fast food resturants, Wal Mart, K-Mart, Sears, Penneys, etc.

ETA - Wartburg doesn't meet your population requirement but there are small communities up and down Hwy 27 that might (but don't have the other stuff you wanted.) Lancing, Pilot Mountain, Annadell, Sunbright to the north....Mossy Grove, Oakdale to the south, Petros-Joyner, Coalfield which are down Hwy 62, SE of Wartburg.

Last edited by Liondandy; 04-05-2010 at 05:00 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,132 times
I grew up in Smithville, a small town near Center Hill Lake. It was a great place to live growing up....a little too slow for me at this point in my life. It's beautiful there though. Very hilly around the lake. Smithville's population is larger than 1,000....but by no means would I consider it big. It has a really nice town square and friends of mine have a family owned drug store on the square. It's also only a little over an hour from Nashville (if you need any amenities here). My closest friendships were formed there. Even though I've moved to other parts of the country and moved back here....they are still my closest friends. Smithville's a special place for me.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,734 times
Thanks everyone - the library isn't a dealbreaker or anything, I'm really just looking for a good small town, and I don't want to live all alone way out in the country.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:29 PM

147 posts, read 646,400 times
Look around the Kentucky Lake area, Benton, Henry, Stewart, Houston counties. Lots of small towns within a 15 minute drive of a larger town{Camden, Paris, Dover, Erin} that has your basic requirements.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM

103 posts, read 335,073 times
Check out Watertown. Small, quiet, close-knit community, great schools, nice library, several small mom and pop restaurants, grocery stores and only 45 minutes away from Nashville. I love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee