Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 PM

65 posts, read 241,007 times

Advertisements

Are you sure the stinky rotten eggs smell was Greeneville? Or Kingsport? The air in Kingsport still gives me headaches when I drive through.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 PM

111 posts, read 375,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I can recall driving past Greeneville on the freeway when I was younger and you could tell you were doing so by the smell off rayon in the air. It smelled like rotten eggs and plastic. I wondered if the whole town smelled like that. They apparently made hosiery there. Does it still have that smell? Did they close the factory?
That was probably Enka which became BASF. It has closed and I think I heard someone say they were disasembling the factory for the metal. It smell bad but wasn't in Greeneville.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 17,621 times
Default Greeneville

You didn't say what area of the county you were in. There are few choices for the bigger ticket items, but the drive to the Tri-cities area is not bad at all. That is probably where the majority of people in Greeneville go (Knoxville also). Greeneville is a beautiful small town. We have lots of rural spots that are also close to the shopping we do have, hospitals, restaurants, etc. Tusculum is a great place to re-locate. It's tucked away, but very close to the major highway (11E/ Andrew Johnson Hwy). There are new developments all over in Tusculum. It is living in the county with all the city amenities (garbage pick up, sewer, fire, etc.). Good luck!!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:28 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly7 View Post
That was probably Enka which became BASF. It has closed and I think I heard someone say they were disasembling the factory for the metal. It smell bad but wasn't in Greeneville.
Yeah, I grew up in Greeneville basically my whole life and I never smelled anything bad. Sounds like you don't have the right town. The only place in East TN that smells bad to me is Kingsport.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 PM

98 posts, read 388,683 times
Morristown smells pretty bad near the Lowland exit off I-81

Old 08-26-2007, 05:49 PM

27 posts, read 59,629 times
Default Searching for pics as you recommended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Thanks for thinking of me.
It was actually a major shortage of Nitrogen in the soil. I think I was using the wrong kind of bagged top soil to amend the clay, it was robbing the plants of the nitrogen. I have found and been using an additive for a few weeks now and it looks like they are now starting to grow. I am very glad I was able to fix it. Lots of great folks on this forum helped me come up with the right answer.
You should plan another trip and check out the Tri-Cities area.

I ran across this reply to a post of someone for whom you provided some assistance.

Wanted to add a bit to your plant problem.

Sometimes a bit of lime added to the clay-ish soil will provide a breakdown, and then worm castings, which are high in nitrogen (also P & K) will help them get through troubled times of growth.

I brew worm casting tea for customers who have similar problems here, and it seems to work well.

Good luck.

And, thanks for your assist on pics. I'm looking around.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 AM

41 posts, read 203,080 times
I live in Greeneville and love it. The smell MUST be from Kingsport. Our air smells fresh here in these mountains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee