Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2006, 01:09 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times

Advertisements

Currently reside in the Chicago suburbs but...being 43, single, no dependents, a love of the outdoors, a growing distaste for winter and congestion, I figure there is no reason not explore my options.

My preferences:

I love to fish, boat etc and would like to be within an hours drive of a lake/river.

As an automotive technician, I need to be near enough to a metropolitan area for suitable employment.

I value space, and would like at least an acre of property.

Since I'm not of retirement age yet, being resonable driving distance of some social activity i.e. resturants, theaters,nightlife ???

As a Chicagoian, I'm ok with diversity but I am primarily conservative in my views, so looking to avoid high crime, poverty,burglar bars on windows and a place where english is a second language

At first glance, Nashville and it's surrounding areas has potential.
Additionally, I have seen some very nice properties in east TN just not sure of the economy there

Once my ducks are lined up, I will plan a road trip
Thank You for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,013 times
With all the outdoorsy things you listed that you liked to do Tennessee is the right place to go! I live in Maryville TN and love it here. I've been here for two years now. I was worried about moving from a big city (Dallas) to such a small city, but it's wonderful. Maryville is right outside of Knoxville (about 25 minute drive) and it's at the foothills of the Smokies. I'm within minutes of a hike in the mountains and literally have a river in my backyard. I drop my canoe right in. My lot is just over an acre. Knoxville has a lot of things to do as far as nightlife, but definitely not like Chicago. Nashville has a bit more of that kind of thing, but with the bigger city comes higher crime, traffic, etc. Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-05-2006, 08:05 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Hi Ally driver,
Yep, I agree TN sounds like the right area for you! Have you look at the tri cities area? We have Boone and Watuga Lakes here, lots of streems and close enough to drive into the mountains for streem fishing. There are lots of car dealerships here too, we have what is called the "Johnson City Motor Mile" Bristol and Kingsport also have lots of dealerships. Economy is very good here, property is very affordable and taxes are low. email me for more info.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Thank you Venesa and mouse for your replies!

Don't go too far, cause I am going to have more questions as I go further in this process

Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Ask away! I am more than happy to help in anyway I can.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:17 AM

408 posts, read 1,978,084 times
Nashville definately has more congestion than the East side of the state. I just moved from that area to the Tri-cities. The rest of my life was in Knoxville so I am familiar with both Middle and East TN. I agree about Maryville. That is also where there is a "Motor Mile" on Alcoa Highway. It is close to both Knoxville and the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee