Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,259 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating to TN from Portland, Maine for a job promotion. I work for a large retailer and get to choose my home store. Here are my choices for cities:
Chattanooga
Johnson City
Knoxville
Nashville
Memphis
Rivergate
I have been doing some research on these places but would like some advice. I am single with 2 kids ages 16 and 10. Looking for a quiet area with low crime. I don't feel like I have to be near a big city. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks! Giovanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Tell us what else you or the kids like to do. Arts? Pro sports? The great outdoors? Music? Restaurants?

As far as I know, Rivergate is still just a mall . . . I don't think they've turned it into a city yet. ;-)

Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I don't think there IS a Rivergate, Tennessee!

I'm originally from New England. Portland is REALLY nice! It is also a very small city, more like a really large town. You might be more comfortable in Johnson City, which would compare in population.

Just a thought.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Chattanooga might be comparable as well.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:31 AM

65 posts, read 241,084 times
Ditto on Johnson City if you don't have a need to live near a big city.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,580,151 times
NOT Memphis. I wouldnt move there if I was forced. Rivergate is just a suburb of Nashville but not the best part of the city and super congested. I hate it there.

Chattanooga has improved a lot over the years and the surroundings are nice.
Knoxville has a slightly higher crime rate and a few yucky areas but is still a nice area.

Nashville is a great place depending on where you actually reside but the downtown area is really nice and expanding alot. Plus, there is alot of stuff to do.

Johnson City is a beautiful town w/ lots of prosperity and super nice poeple. It's my favorite of your choices.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:18 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,031,559 times
Rivergate isn't a suburb, it's a retail district anchored by a large mall. It is located within Metro Nashville/Davidson County. Goodlettsville and Hendersonville are both Nashville suburbs in the area, and both would be good to look at if you end up choosing the Rivergate location.

Depending on what you're looking for, any of your choices are potentially good ones. Well, except Memphis, unless "gangs and crime" is at the top of your priority list.

Excluding Memphis, which we'll pretend doesn't exist, Nashville is the largest city on your list and Johnson City is the smallest. Knoxville and Chattanooga are right in the middle, with Knoxville being the slightly larger of the two. Nashville has the most entertainment, nightlife, and recreational opportunities, but also the most traffic. Johnson City would be perfect if you're an outdoorsman, but really, any of these cities have abundant outdoor activities.

Looks like a win-win-win-win situation to me.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:59 PM

225 posts, read 1,144,167 times
I'm only familiar with Middle TN. But if you really like the quiet life and don't want a big city, I'd look into Portland, TN and work at the Rivergate store. That would be a nice area and a really easy commute. You might also want to consider White House, TN.

If you opted to work in Nashville, which is a big city, there would be a lot of other cities around to suggest.

Are your kids involved in anything special?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM

252 posts, read 710,432 times
Giovanna:

DON'T even consider Memphis. Talk about crime! We relocated to the Memphis area from Scarborough. (Job transfer - we wanted warmer weather and lower cost of living - boy, did we get both!). My nephew relocated to the Nashville area. He loves it. He's into the music scene. East Tennesee will a more balanced four seasons than the Memphis area has. We've traded eight months of winter for eight months of summer. It is hot and muggy here. It was in the 80s in March! In eastern Tennessee, they actually have snow. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually miss snow! And there are mountains over there. None here in the Memphis area. Plus east Tennessee is so much closer to Maine if you want to go back for a visit. I'd live on eastern Tennessee.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:40 AM

4 posts, read 9,491 times
Default hmmm...

As almost everyone else says, I wouldn't choose Memphis...because of my job, I travel all over TN a lot and am pretty familiar with all these areas. Considering I moved here when I was 13-14, I know what it's like for a 16 year old to move here...probably against her will. Then again maybe not but still. I wouldn't choose Chattanooga...I guess if I was picking, it would depend on what I liked. Nashville is a ton of fun, the area always has something going on. Never boring. Knoxville...knoxville is fun too but as far as crime rates n being a quiet city, it's not the place. I live in Johnson City, and it is a really nice place, but there's not A TON of stuff to do. I mean we're not out in the sticks or a hicktown by any means but its no new york city. But, if you don't have to be a large city, I think it might be what youre lookin for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee