U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM

99 posts, read 210,508 times

Advertisements

Anyone local to the area like to share anything about the business climate and schools? How are the hospitals in the area? Jobs? My wife will want to work either in an office of some sort or maybe retail. I'm self employed, print shop(next day service), advertising and service and sell digital office equipment. We are operating in a town of 50k pop. now but has a draw of 100k they say. Looks like roughly 30 mile radius of Winchester would give 100k pop. for a service area.
Money isn't our prime focus in business or life. We enjoy the outdoors and time with friends and family. I love the looks of the lake in Winchester. How long does it take with traffic to get to Murfeesboro?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 71,420 times
I think the Tullahoma, Estill Springs, Decherd, Winchester area is great. Very laid back and housing is resonably priced. Tullahoma's property tax is a bit more and I personally don't think it is as nice as Winchester, but still a nice place. People are easy to talk to and friednly and seem to enjoy life here. My kids are in elementary school and they love it. The teachers and administration really care about the kids. I've heard good things about both middle schools and high school. Harton Reginal Medical Center (in Tullahoma) is the only hospital we have dealt with and they were great. My husband recently had to have emergency surgery and had to stay overnight. He had a room all to himself and everything went very smoothly. The nurses and doctors were all very nice and knew what they were doing. We had no problems. I am unsure what the job market is like as I am a stay at home Mom and my husband works at AEDC (Arnold Engineering Developement Center). The drive to Murfreesboro from here takes about an hour depending on traffic. We go to Huntsville, AL to shop too, which takes about an hour from here also. Hope that helps.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 24,735 times
I have lived my whole life in the area you are asking about, so I know a little about the area. 35 years in Franklin County and the last 8 in Tullahoma. First 9 in Manchester.
SCHOOLS: I grew up in and attended school in Franklin County (Winchester, Decherd). They just built a new 10 million dollar high school but have had a few problems with unrest at it. My step son attended Tullahoma schools and I believe he received a much better education than was provided to me in Franklin County. Tullahoma has a very good rep for the quality of their schools.
BUSINESS Climate: Tullahoma is the largest Micropolitian area in Tennessee, with a draw of over 100k. Winchester and Decherd are part of the Tullahoma Micropolitian area. Tullahoma has a population of around 19K. Also in Coffee County with Tullahoma is Manchester with 8K. In Franklin County are Winchester 8K and Decherd 2K. As for industries both counties have a good base of factories, Tullahoma has more offices in the town. AEDC as mentioned in another post in primarily in Coffee County and borders Tullahoma. This is an Air Force base with civilian and military personnel. Tullahoma is partially located in Franklin County and borders Moore County, home of the Jack Daniel's Distillery.
RETAIL: Tullahoma has much more opportunity in this area. There are several nice sized strip malls and one enclosed mall. JC Penny, KMART, Walmart, Lowe's, Hibitts, are some of the major retailers in Tullahoma, with several regional and private bussiness also. Winchester/Decherd major retailers are Walmart and a small Home Depot with many smaller businesses.
RECREATION: Franklin County has Tim's Ford Lake and Mountains. Tullahoma is 15 minutes to Tim's Ford also, plus 15 minutes to Normandy Lake and 20 minutes to Woods Reservoir.
It is about 40 minutes to Murfreesboro from Tullahoma. About 1 hour to Nashville and 1 hour to Huntsville, Alabama.
Nice hospitals are located in both communities. I have not used Franklin County Hospital in many years and Harton in Tullahoma only a couple of times, both are good hospitals. Harton just expanded with two additional floors.
In closing, just want to say I believe for business and retail employment, you would be better in Tullahoma. Recreational is a draw. You could not go wrong with either area but I believe Tullahoma to be the better of the towns you list.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 PM

12,540 posts, read 34,998,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobuff View Post
Tullahoma is the largest Micropolitian area in Tennessee, with a draw of over 100k. Winchester and Decherd are part of the Tullahoma Micropolitian area.
That's not quite true. According to the US Census, the 2009 population of the Tullahoma-Winchester micropolitan area was 99,927.

The largest micropolitan area in Tennessee is Cookeville, which had a 2009 population of 104,366. The Cookeville micropolitan area is also growing faster.

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-annual.html - broken link)

Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 24,735 times
You are right JMT. I was using the Tullahoma website which made the statement. Checking with the US Cenus it is number two. Thanks for the correction.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 AM

43 posts, read 140,915 times
I've just about lived in Franklin County all of my life (I was born here).

I live on Tims Ford Lake.

Rock Creek and Broadview are the best elementary schools.The High School is awful.

Real estate on the lake is ridiculously expensive but the father you go from water the cheaper it gets.

Huntland is a nice area (property taxes are going up next year though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee