Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
What does "DH" mean = Dear Hubby
.............Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 67,994 times
Default Please ANSWER my poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom
It seems Tennessee is a close second to North Carolina in regards to people wanting to move or visit...my question(s) are simple:

(1) What is it everyone is looking for? What is the real reason behind your move? Or wanting to move? We live in NJ right now but lived in FL for ten years. We want less taxes and less people,better schools then NJ and FL have to offer. Also the rents and property is lower then both of those

(2) What particular area do you like best? East/Middle or Western Tennessee and Why? were looking into the Nashville,Murfreesboro,Hendersonville areas. I have heard Hendersonville and franklin have excilent schools

(3) If you could move tomorrow where in TN would you move to? Why NOT North carolina or even South Carolina???? I would again move to the Nashville area I have visited Nashville and Springfield areas and I enjoyed the areas. I want country living with close access to the city. I have family in N C and they are moving after a year. They say the schools arent that good there and it is starting to grow.

***(4) IF you live now or have ever lived in TN what are your favorite areas? Where do you stay away from? Why? Never lived there but visited. like most places it has it's good and bad areas. I try to tlak to people who have lived in an area Im looking into to find there opinions on it, I also check out the city guides online that most cities have. and you can learn alot from the cities newspapers as well

Thank You for your posts!
Your very welcome
this board keeps telling me to add 20 carartors to post this post so here they are..

Old 08-05-2006, 04:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloucester City
Your very welcome
this board keeps telling me to add 20 carartors to post this post so here they are..
I just add "dots"..................

Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
We recently bought land in western North Carolina because we found exactly what we were looking for at a reasonable price, but we (along with many other Floridians) considered Tennessee a viable alternative and would have bought somewhere had North Carolina not worked out. Cumberland Plateau and the eastern mountains are beautiful. No state income tax and lower building costs are advantages. As much as we love western North Carolina, certain areas are becoming playgrounds for the rich. This is true of Highlands, Cashiers, and, to a certain extent, Waynesville.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Default Middle Tennessee Area

We moved to middle Tennessee in 1996 - Hohenwald, TN - 30 miles west of Columbia, TN. The property is tax is low and crime appears on the surface to be low, but drug problem is bad and unemployment is really high here. I tried to get info on schools before I moved here, but the internet was not a big source at the time - Schools not very good - ACT scores low and most kids do not go onto college - drop out rate about 10%+ with the average senior class being just about 100 kids - teen pregnancy rate pretty high also. Jr Pro sports for kids is big here, but there is little else here to do in the form of recreation - substandard nine hole golf course built many years ago. We have a very nice place on 4 acres and we are in a restricted community so we have fared well with respect to our property value, but both of our children have suffered with respects to education and opportunities for employment locally. We moved here from Houston, TX so we were used to the commute to work so it has been okay for my husband - he drives 30 miles to Columbia, TN to work. We moved here to get closer to family in northern Alabama. There are some really pretty areas in middle Tennesse to live (schools in the rural communities are just not very good for preparing kids for college or further education - some don't have many extracurricular activities). Franklin, Williamson county, in general is beautiful and has lots to offer, Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, is also nice and lots to offer - both have good schools - these would be my choice today if I had kids in school. In my opion the most beautiful county in Middle Tennessee is Moore County where Lynchburg is located - home of Jack Daniels distillery - schools I don't think are that good, but the land and the cleanliness of the county are both wonderful. We looked there first but commute to work at the time was killer and today would be impossible. Good Luck!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Glancing through the sight, I noticed southern middle TN was not mentioned. We lived in Nashville, Tn for 27 years but did not want to retire there. We now live in Lincoln Co. Tn. county seat Fayetteville. Close to Huntsville, Al. for major shopping, day trip to Nashville, if desired, 2 hours to Chattanooga, best of all, lots of open spaces and greenery. We live on a ridge so elevation gives a great view.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnzoot
Glancing through the sight, I noticed southern middle TN was not mentioned. We lived in Nashville, Tn for 27 years but did not want to retire there. We now live in Lincoln Co. Tn. county seat Fayetteville. Close to Huntsville, Al. for major shopping, day trip to Nashville, if desired, 2 hours to Chattanooga, best of all, lots of open spaces and greenery. We live on a ridge so elevation gives a great view.
Sorry- I am a NY'er just asking a question and I thought nashville would be middle TN? Anyways- Thanks for answering my post!

Old 08-07-2006, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,970 times
(1) What is it everyone is looking for? What is the real reason behind your move? Or wanting to move?
Having come from NE I was looking for warmer winters, lower cost of living, decent school, affordable housing, southern charm and hospitality without having to live in the deep south. Love the mountains & lakes

(2) What particular area do you like best? East/Middle or Western Tennessee and Why?
I'm in East TN; haven't had a chance to explore other areas; but love it here.

(3) If you could move tomorrow where in TN would you move to? Why NOT North carolina or even South Carolina????
25+ yrs ago I was on a camping trip from Pennsylvania to Florida and back up through the mountains, Tennessee stuck with me as being beautiful, clean & serene. I kidded my family for years I was going to move to TN one day; one day finally came June 2005. Georgia was the other state I liked but didn't love as much as TN. NC nor SC impressed me much

***(4) IF you live now or have ever lived in TN what are your favorite areas? Where do you stay away from? Why?
I haven't lived here long enough to have seen more than Pigeon Forge, Gatlingurg or Chattanooga, I've like all those areas but home (Maryville) is where I love most.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom
It seems Tennessee is a close second to North Carolina in regards to people wanting to move or visit...my question(s) are simple:

(1) What is it everyone is looking for? What is the real reason behind your move? Or wanting to move?

(2) What particular area do you like best? East/Middle or Western Tennessee and Why?

(3) If you could move tomorrow where in TN would you move to? Why NOT North carolina or even South Carolina????

***(4) IF you live now or have ever lived in TN what are your favorite areas? Where do you stay away from? Why?

Thank You for your posts!
1. People are looking for less - Less people and traffic. People are looking for More. Morse house for less money. People are looking for the 1950s, which don't exist anymore.

2. I like East Tennessee the best. I lived in Middle Tennessee for five years, and have visited both other ends of the State. I also lived in Western NC Mountains for 5 years. I can relate to the mountaineers better than the more old south middle of the state.

3. If I had no choice, I would probably move to Nashville. My best friend lives there which would make it more tolerable. I lived in NC for 12 years. Ain't going back. South Carolina???Too Freaking Hot and Rebel Friendly.

4. I would avoid two places. Etowah - I just think it is a nasty arrogant little hole in the wall. I would avoid Memphis, which I think is one of the most polarized places in the planet.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:50 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,130 times
Cool lets bring this post back to life

* I'm lookin to pan gold in them thar mountains , well i'm tired of old flat land you drive 200 miles & it isn't any different than when you left out & went 10 mi down the road, corn fields & soybeans.

* i was leaning toward the eastern 1/3 but after being in the nc mountains driving an hour & going about 10 miles up and down round and round, then the local gets on your but for goin so slow, they want to take 90 deg turns at 50 and i'm goin 15 lol.

so i'm looking at the cookeville to rockton, mayby even down into pikeville, jasper area.

it's closer to the bigger cities if i ever decide to venture into one, plus you still have the good countyside views.

* tn plateau would be probably were i would go.

north carolina, too many o them big ol hills in nc & property values are too high, seemed like your either rich or poor there no in between.

south carolina i was down by wahalla, nice lil & i mean little town but too far out in the sticks.

georgia nice but property values way too high plus they got funny lookin dirt lol.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee