Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:08 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,076,331 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest, i didn't read all that mumble jumble you wrote but come on now... you know i don't mean to lie to people asking questions but maybe if you know a little something something maybe not everybody else knows or you might not want everybody to know, you can send a PM to that member. Hey, i don't care if TN grows or not, i'm moving there either way. In fact, i hope my area where i bought property gets a little bigger but if not, that's fine too. and no this forum may not impact people moving much but it's all about what people hear and say about TN that attracts us there whether it be something they read on the forum or not. Look at me for instance, i'm only 1 person and now there's a total of 13 of us moving to TN including family and friends. Point being, go ahead say all you want about TN, welcome the world to TN but don't be complaining about it when it gets too crowded. You all need to buy up the property before others slice it up into lots. that's the only way your going to stop the growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 07:29 PM

764 posts, read 1,453,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I'll be honest, i didn't read all that mumble jumble you wrote but . . .
Well, Daniellefort, you ARE the one who chastised people for speaking so highly of Tennessee. And as far as my “mumble jumble” goes, I’m not offended by your not reading it nor am I surprised by it; you and I are on different planets for all intents and purposes.

Your suggestion of buying up land is a step in the right direction, but it must be done on a large scale throughout the State. However, if the people of Tennessee don’t tackle the problems created by elected officials who participate in many of these schemes that later turn into debacles, then such a progression will not be slowed for long. I’ll use my metaphor from my previous post another way: STOP the dumping of the gravel and then it won’t be necessary to shovel it in the future.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:36 PM

98 posts, read 387,801 times
I knew I'd wind up back in Georgia sooner or later. This was a good expierence for me in Athens while it lasted. It's really too bad it's such a struggle for some folks to make a decesion to move and stick with it without needing help from a Message Board Forum. Hikanapster said it perfectly when she said "if you need convincing and reasons to move there from people like us, then maybe you outta stay put"

Old 06-16-2007, 09:47 PM

111 posts, read 374,020 times
Quote:
I'll be honest, i didn't read all that mumble jumble you wrote but come on now... you know i don't mean to lie to people asking questions but maybe if you know a little something something maybe not everybody else knows or you might not want everybody to know, you can send a PM to that member. Hey, i don't care if TN grows or not, i'm moving there either way. In fact, i hope my area where i bought property gets a little bigger but if not, that's fine too. and no this forum may not impact people moving much but it's all about what people hear and say about TN that attracts us there whether it be something they read on the forum or not. Look at me for instance, i'm only 1 person and now there's a total of 13 of us moving to TN including family and friends. Point being, go ahead say all you want about TN, welcome the world to TN but don't be complaining about it when it gets too crowded. You all need to buy up the property before others slice it up into lots. that's the only way your going to stop the growth.
Boy are you in for a surprise. Here is our world and you will be the alien or 13 of you or however many. Unless your moving to a big city you will be in for a surprise. Bigger cities have changed and to a certain extent smaller towns but by no means do we change in many ways. Tennesseans are tough people, kind hearted unless crossed or disrespected. When you move, welcome to our world. Bugs get attracted to the pretty zapped too.
In Tn buying up a lot of land? Let me fill you in on what happens. A corporation or one of the big dogs likes your land they take it by right of eminant domain through the government, see it do, see it attempted. Not too many years ago Hamblen co tried it, even into Jefferson Co for an Industrial Park. Nevermind that the other 2 weren't full. They eventually got their park but only from those willing to sell, were not forced to sell. The most memorable thing said was when people were told they couldn't stop the bulldozers and the people said they didn't have to, just the ones operating them. This come from an old scenerio of ? Trench over E.D.where bulldozers came and the people dug a hugh ditch and completely armed stood them down. We only go so far.
Reading is one thing, reality is completely different. Where you live is the world in Fl and Fla & Tn are 2 different worlds. I have lots of kin in Fl but they say they'd never move here, likewise I wouldn't live there. When you all move then say good-bye to the world you knew and hello to ours if you plan on living here. The people that do love it here, the ones that don't leave. I have some great neighbors from Fl and actually they were meant to be here. With the same token I've seen those that don't. Certain parts of Tn you can rock the boat, certain ones you can't.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Oh they are out there believe me, we saw some. we were quite interested in them when we found them only to see they were sold in a matter of days. They don't last long enough for people to find them or even be advertised for sale. The realtors keep their list of potential buyers with what they want and when something new comes up matching what someone is looking for, it's grabbed up very fast.

There was one home on 5 acres, 3 bedroom with a detached garage big enough for 5 cars for $135,000.

Another one not too far away for $120,000 3 bedroom on 3 acres.

And these were not old run down places either.
They come about seldom. There are areas where you can ocassionally come up with a deal similar to that bt the market varies extremely from county to county and neighborhood to neighborhood. Sneedville is where you would find that deal or Muddy Creek, Poor Valley, Chestnut Hill areas, all beautiful areas with great people but far away from anything. That may sound good but when the sunshine is pumped in or if you need medical attention or just want some groceries plan a journey, hope the weather is good, stock up in winter. Not to mention there are places you really don't want to take the wrong turn. Areas that are rough. If your afraid to walk out your door what's the point. Prime areas you'd have to show me that.
It is true that we have lists that we look for and that is the advantage of working with a (not a bunch) of Realtor. Looking at the books we advertise in are printed once a month and if it's a great deal it sells before it comes out and if the MLS takes 1-2 days to update it appears about the time sold goes on it. That's what we do if we're actually doing our job. If someone is loyal to me I'm loyal to them and if a great deal comes along that is something they may be interested in I call them. You did however forget those that (I'm not one) snatch up great deals for themselves and flip them, I have issues with that myself. Some have people they work with that flip property but if someone's wanting a home I call them first to see if they're interested in it. When my list of that particluar property is completed I call the ones that flip it to see. I'd like to think most of us does it that way. Yes, the first called are the ones I like best, human nature I guess.
It doesn't end at that either. If another Realtor in the same office or any office after checking their list has told them about something they have someone looking for they contact them. That's also part of the job requirements if you've listed someone's property. The faster it sells, the less money advertising it, the happier the sellers, the happier the buyers, we all are happy. Basically pick 1 Realtor and stick with them, provided you trust them and get along with them and if their worth their salt they will watch out for you. Hungry or new ones will maybe take those that jump from one Realtor to another but many of us don't.
That by no means means you should jump blindly at a property unless you are one who flips it and experienced at flipping. You know the area and many times the history of it and by all means educate yourself, your Realtor should do that but if they don't you need to. Remember that a good deal includes your being happy with it if you plan to keep it.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Oh they are out there believe me, we saw some. we were quite interested in them when we found them only to see they were sold in a matter of days. They don't last long enough for people to find them or even be advertised for sale. The realtors keep their list of potential buyers with what they want and when something new comes up matching what someone is looking for, it's grabbed up very fast.

There was one home on 5 acres, 3 bedroom with a detached garage big enough for 5 cars for $135,000.

Another one not too far away for $120,000 3 bedroom on 3 acres.

And these were not old run down places either.
There was a good deal on paper a while back, one of the people I work with "list" called me. A friends of hers working with a different Realtor told her about this good deal. Completely remodeled, back of the country club, cheap per sq ft. They insisted we see it even though I told her it wasn't that good. The house was beautiful if you didn't know anything about building. The owner showed up, the listing agent seen the owner and our cars and they had her sold. It was late & I called her husband to the side and we went outside. Heaven is in the back, great neighborhood, Hell is in front. While we were there the music got loud enough to plainly hear across the street. 2 cop cars pulled in and chased a guy on foot to the left, 2 more at a different apt bld on the right did the same with another guy, looked like an episode of cops, this was Wed., imagine the weekend. The house was a shoddy remodeling and had loads of shortcuts that did somewhat hide structural needs. If you didn't know how to build it was a good deal, if you did it was a nightmare not to mention you didn't need Tv, cops show was live in your front yard complete with music. Up until that time the owner & other agent were talking about how quiet & peaceful it was. On paper and if you didn't know building, know the neighborhood it looked like a good deal. I'm sure that as much attention as it was getting it was snatched up. Hey it had live entertainment.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:39 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,076,331 times
well obviously you haven't read too many of my posts to understand who i am and what i'm like. First of all, i come from a very small town in Northern NH in the middle of nowhere where everybody knows everybody and everybody is friendly with everybody, hunting, fishing, 4-wheeling, hiking are all the outdoor activities to do so don't worry about me being in shock when i move to TN.... i've already lived in a place very similar, secondly, i have visited the area i bought land in 4 times, did my research, spoke with residents and workers who live there, scouted out the bad areas not to be in looked at the job situation and bought land that i plan to build on, not re-sell to make a profit in a very nice area outside of town in a subdivision that has very limited restrictions but plenty of acres with each lot. For the other 9 of us moving, well 2 of them spend 6 months a year in TN camping in their RV and in fact just bought a permanant place and the other 7 vacation there regularly and have some family from there as well so really, don't worry about me. I'm not like some people who just move to a place totally different from what they've experienced and then decide it's not for them and moan and complain about it.

I'll be honest again, i don't read every single line on these posts when they are storybook in length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee