U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM

111 posts, read 358,233 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of Red Clay here in east tn but depends upon the land, it changes fast. There are Llama & Alpaca breeders but I suppose it your using the wool and showing them. Diedrea Tarr in Jeff raises Alpacas but not sure if she uses the wool or shows. I raise Llamas but not for wool or show. They do ok here but you have to watch them in the heat. We had one stroke out on us last year. I know Alpacas are a bit more woolie and I've heard a bit harder to raise. Our runs with Fainting Goats and ocassionally we put them with the Barbados Sheep.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 08:55 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,477,280 times
Some places in NE Tenn. that would probably meet your criteria: Rutledge & Bean Station in Grainger Co.; Baileyton, Chuckey & Limestone in Greene Co.; Rogersville & Church Hill in Hawkins Co.; Telford in Washington Co.; and Bluff City in Sullivan County.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 PM

180 posts, read 717,911 times
Alleycat .... yes, there are alpaca breeders in many parts of TN and KY ...even more in Ohio. When we moved here in Idaho from Seattle area, there were about 45 registered breeders here .... (that was 3 years ago). Now there are about 60 and more coming!!

Hilly7: Thanks for your input! How many llamas do you have? They make great guard animals for alpacas, and I may need to buy one (or two) at some point!!! Yes, I have talked to a couple of alpaca breeders about what extra care they might need because of the heat. They do the same thing there as we do here ....keep fans in the shelters, hose down their legs with water to cool them down; make sure there is plenty of shade, and most importantly, SHEAR EARLY!! We do show our alpacas, and have the fiber spun into yarn or made into apparel....depending on the quality of it. Do you use any of the wool from your goats/sheep??? I'll look the breeds up and see if it could be blended with alpaca.... hmmm..... what colors do you have???

Kamoshika: Thanks! I'll add those places to my search list! Thank you very much!! The hunt is still on!

Just spent an hour on the phone with the airlines trying to make reservations! What frustration that was! Finally just cancelled everything and hubby is going to the airport to speak to someone directly (who also understands the English language!!!) UGH!!!

Thank you everyone......
PacaLady

Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 AM

7,279 posts, read 20,336,285 times
I know of a couple that just purchased several acres in Kingsport for their alpacas and they are doing great there. I agree with the other poster about all the little towns and areas along 11W in North East TN. Land prices seem pretty good.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 26,285 times
I wouldn't move to west Tn. . We have a farm here, the land is reasonable, but it too flat and wet, and the schools are horrible, even the private schools are lacking. We raised goats, cattle, horses and chickens. We are selling and moving to East TN. The areas around Chattanooga and Knoxville are good for farms.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 PM

Renee:
Thank you for your input .... we were concentrating on being more on the eastern side of TN but have been 'put off' a bit because of the clay in the soils there. Our kids are grown and gone, so schools are as important to us (although we are VERY community minded and want to be 'community involved') I visited Tazewell area to look at two properties when I was there last Feb .... very much clay soil and not silt/loam but am still looking.

We have booked airline tickets for the end of July to look around Kentucky/Tennessee ... we'll see how that turns out....stay tuned!

Thanks for your input ....it is very much appreciated!!
PacaLady

Old 06-23-2007, 09:37 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,477,280 times
Default pacalady, you may find this site...

useful in your property search in TN:
Web Soil Survey - Home

I came across it earlier this week and think it's a pretty remarkable tool, though it's a bit cumbersome to use at first, IMO. It will provide you with amazingly detailed soil data for virtually any tract of land you choose for most counties in Middle and East Tennessee.

To get started, go to the page linked above & read over the brief instructions, then click the green "START WSS" button. It'll take you to this site:
Web Soil Survey

At the navigation page there, you can pull up any Tennessee county for which data's available. For instance, select "Tennessee" and "Greene County", then click "View". Then, you can zoom in on any county location on the aerial photograph that comes up by clicking on it. You can zoom WAY close, if you so choose. You can expand the width of the map by clicking on the button pictured below:

You can also change the view to topographic by clicking on the "Legend" tab and selecting that option there.

Once you see an area that interests you, you can highlight it by first clicking one of the AOI buttons (either the rectangle or the polygon), and then drawing the shape over the area for which you want data.

You'll then get a "Creating AOI..." message. Once it's through processing, click on the "Soil Map" tab to get a detailed look at the soil makeup of the area you chose, by type and percentage.

That's about as much as I explored the site, you may find more useful info if you're interested enough to dig a bit further.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:23 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,803,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
useful in your property search in TN:
Web Soil Survey - Home

I came across it earlier this week and think it's a pretty remarkable tool, though it's a bit cumbersome to use at first, IMO. It will provide you with amazingly detailed soil data for virtually any tract of land you choose for most counties in Middle and East Tennessee.

To get started, go to the page linked above & read over the brief instructions, then click the green "START WSS" button. It'll take you to this site:
Web Soil Survey

At the navigation page there, you can pull up any Tennessee county for which data's available. For instance, select "Tennessee" and "Greene County", then click "View". Then, you can zoom in on any county location on the aerial photograph that comes up by clicking on it. You can zoom WAY close, if you so choose. You can expand the width of the map by clicking on the button pictured below:

You can also change the view to topographic by clicking on the "Legend" tab and selecting that option there.

Once you see an area that interests you, you can highlight it by first clicking one of the AOI buttons (either the rectangle or the polygon), and then drawing the shape over the area for which you want data.

You'll then get a "Creating AOI..." message. Once it's through processing, click on the "Soil Map" tab to get a detailed look at the soil makeup of the area you chose, by type and percentage.

That's about as much as I explored the site, you may find more useful info if you're interested enough to dig a bit further.
That's an excellent web site. thank you. We're going up next week to start some landscaping on our property.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 18,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacalady View Post
Hello from Idaho!!
We are alpaca breeders looking for acreage in TN. We've been to Knoxville, but the dirt is red with clay ..... we need to be able to raise grass hay for winter months, and have the same during the summer for our alpacas. Can anyone give us some ideas as to where to look that might have some 'scenery' (we are on the edge of the Rocky Mountains), good soils, trees for shade, and decent land prices. We need a modest house, at least an outbuilding/barn and some fencing on 40 acres or more.

We have family (son's family) in Knoxville, so it would be really nice to be within 2-3 hours drive of them. Would also like to be able to commute to a town with 15K population or more for part time work.... I am an accountant/small business management consultant.....my husband runs the farm. We also need to be somewhat close to a major airport (1-2 hours).

Here's the REAL need: a good veterinary teaching school, or camelid trained vet! I know it's a tough order..... but will sure appreciate any thoughts!

PacaLady
I know that there is a lot of farm land for sale in Shelbyville,TN 37160. I have a friend that lives on Cathey RD. Try looking around Whiteside Hill RD. in Shelbyville,TN. My friends husband has cattle and bales hay. They live right off of Whiteside Hill RD. Hope this helps. sred

Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Thanks sred! I'll be sure to look around there. I appreciate you help!
PacaLady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee