U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:12 AM

9,217 posts, read 4,090,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
So, the guys who have been constantly wrong about Tesla make some more predictions......
Who’s wrong again?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...oss/index.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 AM

99 posts, read 28,887 times
Tesla is more polarizing than Trump..

Old 04-25-2019, 10:26 AM

2,151 posts, read 663,196 times
TSLA stock is only down 3% so far today, I thought the plunge would be a lot larger since their reported losses were so much larger than anticipated (about $3 per share vs. $0.69). I don't have the link, but Norway sales, one of the things supporters point to as a huge success for Tesla, fell something like 80%. Shows the danger of falling in love with a single stock - there was a time when I made some beans buying and selling Tenneco back in the late 80's, the price was very cyclical and pretty easy to predict. But TSLA? Glad I decided not to buy in, God only knows where it's going from here.

I still think the future of BEV's is best done in the form of PHEV's until batteries get much better. Or, if I'm going to be forced to have two cars anyway (one ICE and one BEV), I'd prefer the BEV to be a small, cheap urban runabout, something like Renault offers currently (or something like an E-Smart, but at half the cost or less of the current model).

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 04-25-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
TSLA stock is only down 3% so far today, I thought the plunge would be a lot larger since their reported losses were so much larger than anticipated (about $3 per share vs. $0.69). I don't have the link, but Norway sales, one of the things supporters point to as a huge success for Tesla, fell something like 80%. Shows the danger of falling in love with a single stock - there was a time when I made some beans buying and selling Case Corp. stock back in the late 80's when Tenneco owned it, the price was very cyclical and pretty easy to predict. But TSLA? Glad I decided not to buy in, God only knows where it's going from here.

I still think the future of BEV's is best done in the form of PHEV's until batteries get much better. Or, if I'm going to be forced to have two cars anyway (one ICE and one BEV), I'd prefer the BEV to be a small, cheap urban runabout, something like Renault offers currently (or something like an E-Smart, but at half the cost or less of the current model).
It only tanked 3% because earlier in the week it had already dropped $10 after the failed “robotaxi” announcement. The enthusiasm is dying all around.

Norway and California dominate the majority of Tesla sales which is a testament to just how dependent on government Tesla has had to become to survive.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 AM

2,151 posts, read 663,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It only tanked 3% because earlier in the week it had already dropped $10 after the failed “robotaxi” announcement. The enthusiasm is dying all around.

Norway and California dominate the majority of Tesla sales which is a testament to just how dependent on government Tesla has had to become to survive.
Any time the gub'mint has to mandate television commercials telling me how great something is (the "Flintstones / Jetsons" take on EV's, mandated as part of the VW settlement, I believe), my radar goes off. If BEV's are such a great innovation, they should be able to stand on their own merits. I understand that any new industry may need a little boost because ICE is so entrenched, but how much is appropriate? If EV's are necessary due to CO2 emissions, then a 300 hp, luxury version of them isn't the answer, why in God's name are my tax dollars going to subsidize a vehicle for some rich dude that I myself cannot afford to buy? Electric scooters, Twizzy's, etc., where you're not expending energy to haul around a huge amount of battery mass is the much more efficient way to go in urban areas (and the electricity needs to come from new, safe, and efficient nuke plants).

Old 04-25-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Any time the gub'mint has to mandate television commercials telling me how great something is (the "Flintstones / Jetsons" take on EV's, mandated as part of the VW settlement, I believe), my radar goes off. If BEV's are such a great innovation, they should be able to stand on their own merits. I understand that any new industry may need a little boost because ICE is so entrenched, but how much is appropriate? If EV's are necessary due to CO2 emissions, then a 300 hp, luxury version of them isn't the answer, why in God's name are my tax dollars going to subsidize a vehicle for some rich dude that I myself cannot afford to buy? Electric scooters, Twizzy's, etc., where you're not expending energy to haul around a huge amount of battery mass is the much more efficient way to go in urban areas (and the electricity needs to come from new, safe, and efficient nuke plants).
Man that was spot on summarizing what I've been saying for years. Great post.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:06 PM

5,786 posts, read 2,142,117 times
Tesla lost 702 million last quarter.

Tesla lost $702 million last quarter, snapping its profit streak
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-profit-streak

Old 04-29-2019, 04:13 AM

I noticed Newporttom and the gang tend to go ghost when things aren’t looking so great. I hope y’all didn’t invest too much.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:44 PM

874 posts, read 280,771 times
Well they effed up deliveries in Q1 (mostly timing wise) so that sucked.

BUT

Model 3 demand is strong. ASP is up to $50,000 in U.S. even after tax credit reduction. This is surprisingly high. Really everything else is still going well. Way ahead of competitors, advance battery technology coming next year, more profit coming from semi-autonomous driving (not even going to mention FSD, lol).

What's not to like?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Well they effed up deliveries in Q1 (mostly timing wise) so that sucked.

BUT

Model 3 demand is strong. ASP is up to $50,000 in U.S. even after tax credit reduction. This is surprisingly high. Really everything else is still going well. Way ahead of competitors, advance battery technology coming next year, more profit coming from semi-autonomous driving (not even going to mention FSD, lol).

What's not to like?
Oh the fact that they consider delivering cars a challenge. Demand is cratering across the entire lineup (even in China), the Chinese just put up a billboard ad in Times Square blasting Model S quality and reliability. Competition is rising, tax credits are ending, Elon thinks nobody can afford their cars, Tesla can’t figure out what price to charge them at day to day (much less forecast what profit they’ll have month to month), Model Y announcement cratered the stock, etc.
it’s good that you are the last remaining optimistic Tesla fan though. I’m sure loyalty will be worth something one day. Let’s just hope you didn’t really put your money where your mouth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Tesla
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or