Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 08:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, I went to Car gurus. I wanted to see what used Teslas sold for. I was shocked by what I found. There was only one Tesla for sale over 100k miles. Some had about 75k miles. But most were under 50k, some were less than 20k and some less than even 10k miles. It leads me to believe the owners of these cars are not happy with their car. This is not typical of a brand. In most brands, low mileage used cars are hard to find. Please explain, if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 11:03 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times
Here's my analysis.

Prior posts from you:
----
Second, Teslas still belch out polution from your neighborhood gas fired or coal power plants. Remember solar power doesnt work at night and the wind doesnt come close to supplying everything.

I keep watching Tesla to see if their business tanks. Repairs are very expensive after waranty expires and you can only get repaired at their approved service centers. My guess is that their values will plummet after their warranties run out. Keeping one going after the warranty expires will be too expensive, and people will dump them like hot potatoes.
------
Just out of curiosity I've trying to get info on how Tesla is doing. I found some very negative things about Tesla cars in spite of all the fan boys on youtube singing their praises of Tesla. First I found out that their depreciation is pretty bad, almost as bad as BMW or Mercedes. Second, they also have very high repair cost. $1k for a door handle, $8k to replace the brakes, and somewhere around $15 for a new battery pack. No wonder the depeciation is so high.

But then I looked for the cost of a used one that is out of warranty. But oddly, I have found very few that had high mileage and some had shockingly no mileage. So I have a theory about a dirty little secret. Its possible lots of people buy these because "they're cool" but the average person doesnt really like to drive them. Its also possible that the parts are so high, that people arent driving or selling them when they go much past their warranty, but they get more for the car by parting it out.
________

So my explanation is you are just an anti-Tesla guy who looked something up to validate a prior theory, and interpreted the data to fit his preconceived notion.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I just asked a simple question. If I am wrong about anything I said, please correct me. I can learn. I'm a fair minded person. I'm just trying to understand the enthusiasm people have for Tesla.

My problem is I am a thrifty person. So I dont get caught up in hype because a product is "cool". I like the best bang for my buck.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:18 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Out of curiosity, I went to Car gurus. I wanted to see what used Teslas sold for. I was shocked by what I found. There was only one Tesla for sale over 100k miles. Some had about 75k miles. But most were under 50k, some were less than 20k and some less than even 10k miles. It leads me to believe the owners of these cars are not happy with their car. This is not typical of a brand. In most brands, low mileage used cars are hard to find. Please explain, if you can.
Well considering Tesla has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings, it's probably not what you think.

If I had to guess, people who bought Model S/X are generally wealthy and some probably don't have to drive much / retired.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:33 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quite possibly you are correct. Many of the low mile Tesla vehicles (or any other vehicle for that matter) were purchased in a burst of enthusiasm, then the buyer found that it just didn't fit their lifestyle or something else made them unhappy, so they decided to live without it.
As for the pollution aspect of EVs, I am much more concerned about the pollution resulting from the mining for the rare earth compounds used in the manufacture of the vehicle and batteries, and the questionable recycling that can be done when it has outlived its usefulness.

As time goes on, we will learn more about the issues connected with EV usage and manufacture. Hopefully, the lessons will not be too painful.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:48 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
My guess is the low mileage sales are from people who has early issues and were disappointed by Tesla's poor customer service, especially considering it's a "premium" brand.

The car is great when everything is working. When something goes wrong, it's party over. The only way to contact them is via app/text. The service centers don't answer the phone, don't respond to voice mails, and don't respond to emails. The wait for parts is way longer than it should be.

I've owned a Model S for 5+ years. When I'm ready for a new car, hopefully there will be another EV with decent range and charging infrastrcutre. As of now, that doesn't exist.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Well considering Tesla has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings, it's probably not what you think.

If I had to guess, people who bought Model S/X are generally wealthy and some probably don't have to drive much / retired.
Yeah, those high end Teslas are a rich person's car around here, and many of those people have multiple vehicles.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
My problem is I am a thrifty person. So I dont get caught up in hype because a product is "cool". I like the best bang for my buck.
This is where I am at with Tesla as well. I'll never own one unless I can find a good deal on a used one. But even then that feels like buying a used BMW or Mercedes. Still doesn't pencil out financially.

I like their product. But my thriftyness when it comes to vehicles will likely keep me from ever owning one. I currently drive a 15 year old Toyota Corolla. It's basically had one owner as it was my wifes car when she went to college and we've just kept it. Until three years ago it was our newest and nicest car.

We are about 2.5-3 years out from probably finally moving on from the Corolla. At that point I'd like to either buy a used Jeep Wrangler or an EV. Two totally different vehicles I know. But for EV I'm probably looking at something like a used Bolt. I see many 2017 models can currently be had for less than $18,000. I couldn't find any used Tesla's for under $30K. That's a huge price difference. I'd like to still go on vacations and eventually retire.

The good news is EV's will continue to get better of the coming decade and I'm sure prices will continue to come down. Particularly on the used market perhaps.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
You're shopping the wrong place for used Teslas. A lot of them are traded back for newer models and Tesla will decide whether the car is good enough to resale or scrap. I find majority of the used models are listed on Tesla.com and snatched up everyday.

Model S with 30-75k mi are commonly found on their website. There are other sites that specializes in used Tesla sales and lease take overs.

A good chunk of Teslas are leases so Tesla takes them back and sell them back on their website. I see dozens of used Teslas on their site for my locale.

https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used/ms

Old 07-27-2020, 01:53 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times
My daughter and her husband bought the model X and they have had some technical issues but Tesla has been
very responsive to their problems. They sent a technician to their home to fix everything to their satisfaction. They are very pleased with their Tesla Model X and with the Tesla support they have recieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla