U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:56 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,134,994 times

Advertisements

Surprised this hadn't been the subject if it's own thread yet. With Gigafactory 3 coming online in Shanghai, China, as the year end, plans for the next one are developing.

Gigafactory 4 will be built just outside of Berlin. Musk and German officials announced it November 12th. Musk says #4 will build batteries, powertrains and vehicles. This is like #3 (China) and not like #1 (Reno) that only does batteries.

Also interesting that the Model Y is the car they are starting with, not the Model 3. Also interesting that recent planning documents referred to Model Y, Model 3 and "future models". Is that a placeholder or is that some indication of something new coming? Time will tell.

They are also planning to eventually produce 500,000 vehicles a year.

The timeline says they will start producing in 18 months. That's not much slower than the #3 which took about 11, and was considered crazy fast. A lot of people familiar with German bureaucracy think that is an optimistic timeline.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 10:37 PM

1,986 posts, read 427,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Surprised this hadn't been the subject if it's own thread yet. With Gigafactory 3 coming online in Shanghai, China, as the year end, plans for the next one are developing.

Gigafactory 4 will be built just outside of Berlin. Musk and German officials announced it November 12th. Musk says #4 will build batteries, powertrains and vehicles. This is like #3 (China) and not like #1 (Reno) that only does batteries.

Also interesting that the Model Y is the car they are starting with, not the Model 3. Also interesting that recent planning documents referred to Model Y, Model 3 and "future models". Is that a placeholder or is that some indication of something new coming? Time will tell.

They are also planning to eventually produce 500,000 vehicles a year.

The timeline says they will start producing in 18 months. That's not much slower than the #3 which took about 11, and was considered crazy fast. A lot of people familiar with German bureaucracy think that is an optimistic timeline.
I would say 18 months is crazy fast for anyplace outside of China.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:28 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,560,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I would say 18 months is crazy fast for anyplace outside of China.
I don't know specifically what to expect, but yes, from what I've read about Germany, the cultural disposition to fine details, the regulatory environment and the resulting red tape are significantly higher than in China. So as you're pointing to, I'd expect it to take significantly longer than the just-completed plant in Shanghai. It's a high visibility project and Germany clearly wants the factory, and maybe that will help some in reducing inordinate bureaucratic burdens.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:22 PM

Two items I read this week about Giga 4. First, they've hit a snag because of endangered bats in the forest they want to cut down. (it's not a natural forest, it's a tree farm). First thought is "here we go"...... (delays)

Second FCA (Fiat Chrysler) is paying Tesla enough to "pool" EV resources in EU in 2019 and 2020 that FCA is essentially paying for the factory. The way it works is that the EU would have fined FCA a huge amount because they didn't sell enough EVs in Europe. To avoid (lessen) those fines, FCA can pool resources with Tesla (who sells 0 polluting cars). Tesla gets a BUNCH of cash, FCA pays less overall.

It's enough to pay for the factory.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:22 PM

3,097 posts, read 1,161,631 times
The factory in China is up and running? I saw PR photos and a press release, no pictures of the assembly lines...

Old 01-12-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The factory in China is up and running? I saw PR photos and a press release, no pictures of the assembly lines...
Yep, see e.g.
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/06...i-gigafactory/

Old 01-12-2020, 09:31 PM

832 posts, read 261,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
It's a Potemkin Village.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:38 PM

China is said to be producing 1,000 a week.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Two items I read this week about Giga 4. First, they've hit a snag because of endangered bats in the forest they want to cut down. (it's not a natural forest, it's a tree farm). First thought is "here we go"...... (delays)

Second FCA (Fiat Chrysler) is paying Tesla enough to "pool" EV resources in EU in 2019 and 2020 that FCA is essentially paying for the factory. The way it works is that the EU would have fined FCA a huge amount because they didn't sell enough EVs in Europe. To avoid (lessen) those fines, FCA can pool resources with Tesla (who sells 0 polluting cars). Tesla gets a BUNCH of cash, FCA pays less overall.

It's enough to pay for the factory.
Wait, what? Fiat-Chrysler is underselling EVs in Europe, and the penalties for doing so are stout enough that they it will benefit them financially to contribute to the new German Tesla plant... contribute so much that they in effect pay for the plant??? As much as I am pro-EV, I am also pro-business, and those sound like some mighty stout "incentives"! Ease up, EU, have mercy!

Old 01-13-2020, 05:50 PM

4,032 posts, read 3,288,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
It's a Potemkin Village.
Paulo, is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Tesla
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or